Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you say to requests.... >

What do you say to requests....

What do you say to requests....

Old 01-22-2014, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by mustangquilts View Post
After my step dad passed away I was over at my moms house helping her and my step sister clean out his clothing. My step sister said to just donate all the clothing. I asked if I could take some of the shirts and make a memory quilt for my mom. She said no problem. Her and I are only facebook friends. A couple of years later after I posted a picture of a quilt she put under the posting that I had taken a bunch of her dads clothes to make a quilt and she would like to have that quilt. Told her I made it for my mom and that she was more than welcome to the left over shirts. She than posted she wanted me to make the quilt that she did not do sewing. I than posted send me your address I will ship the left over fabric to you and you can find someone in organ to make the quilt for you. That it would probably run around 300 to 500 dollars to have someone cut up the scraps sew it together and than quilt it. Her response back was Oh never mind, I didn't want one that bad. If she would have said please do send them I will find someone to make it I would have done it for her for nothing because I knew she really wanted one or charged her and given the money to my mom. This was all after I had to pay for her dads funeral because there was no money to pay for it. Not one of the his five kids would give a cent for their dads funeral. All claimed they were broke.
Don't know what to say! ((((((((((mustang))))))))))))))))))))
Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 PM

Easy answer, short and to the point...NO
Old 01-22-2014, 08:34 PM

Usually I tell people they are welcome to shop my UFO stack and that eventually it will get finished, just don't hold your breath! - while pointing to ones that are a few steps farther along that are already claimed and were supposed to be for xxxxx birthday two years ago or whatever.

I do what I do because I want to do it. I may put a project aside because I'm not happy with how it's coming along. Sometimes working on something else will help clear up my thinking on the original project so I can go back and finish it or at least make progress. This is the main reason I don't like doing something major with a strict timeline. Then I feel like I can't put it aside even if I'm getting frustrated with some part of the process. Takes the fun out.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:48 PM

I ALWAYS say that I don't make quilts for others--I make them for me. Then, if I have any extras I offer to sell one. But I refuse to take orders--it stifles MY CREATIVE SPIRIT! Now, didn't that sound snooty!??? I am not at all, but I love the creative side--when I have to make some one else's vision, I feel shut in and shut down and it becomes a chore and not a joy. I have made quilts for special people, but they let me do it my way. Boy, I can not believe I sound like a snobby artist type when I am not. I just love the process--it is my joy. I make samples for my friend's shop, and whenever a customer just wants to buy a sample, I set my price high--if they complain, I offer to sell them the pattern and fabric, but I don't back down. And almost every time, they pay the price and I have to make another sample. Tee hee.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:54 AM

Barter! Ask them to paint your house in exchange! Or yard work, or remodel the kitchen, LOL! Seriously, if they have a special talent, barter. Probably wont happen but they will get the point!

i respectfully tell them the truth, the truth about cost of supplies, cost of my labor, the hours it takes. I start with the HOURS it takes. Conversation stops at that. People understand "hourly" vs. reality of cost.

One time, a casual friend admired one of my purses and asked if I made them for other people. I told her that I had invested 8 hours into the purse, she said "NEVER MIND!!" We both had a friendly chuckle! No offense taken on either side.

sandy
Old 01-23-2014, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by gigigray032447 View Post
Since I mostly make comfort quilts for cancer patients, I say "Oh, do you have cancer?" That shuts up those that want a quilt! Also my daughter had a friend who married this past summer. She sent a message that she wanted me to make a quilt of her wedding dress. I told her it would be $1000.00 to buy additional fabric and pay for the quilting. She didn't bite on that as she wanted it for nothing.
ha! I wonder how much that wedding cost her?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:08 AM

I have a list of a few sources that DO make photo quilts and tee shirt quilts professionally. I email the info to people who ask me to make them. Neither categories appeal to me......and I don't do "requests" A simple, "thank you for asking but, no thank you." No need to embellish.

As for "clothing quilts" yuck! I wear my late mothers sweatshirt IF I want to be "Reminded" of her. I don't need reminders, she is with me daily in my thoughts! My heart. And, if I am lucky, my dreams!

Sandy
Old 01-24-2014, 04:20 PM

Agree with Luana - if you don't want to do it, do you want to spend your time quilting something when it is not fun?
Old 01-24-2014, 05:53 PM

Sorry, but I don't have time for all things I want to try to complete. Refer her to local quilt shops or guilds that might have individuals wanting to do quilts for payment.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:06 PM

Instead of making a quilt for "a really sweet couple" who were expecting a baby, I offered to help my relative make a quilt if she would buy all the materials. I enjoyed the time we spent together off and on for a few weeks, but I've not been asked again to make a quilt or to help her make another one.