Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you say when somesone shows you their project >

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

Old 03-02-2011, 10:59 AM

When someone shows me there work, I always find something good and constructive to say. When a person quilts there is a lot of work that goes into it, and alot of love. And I always ask what the pattern is.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:44 AM

You know my friends love my quilts and say they are beautiful no matter what it looks like. well thanks to a lady that i met on this board, that lives a few miles from me, told me the truth by telling me and showing me how to use my new machine the right way and giving hints about how to do quilting where it comes out even. She goes out of her way for me. She is a very sweet person and has been a great help in my quilting. I suggest the next time you see a really bad quilt,remember we have to start some where and if you can't say something nice about their quilt say nothing at all. Tommye, btw the beautiful lady is kcook on this board.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:06 PM

I agree. I may say that the project is interesting & praise the person for the effort put on making it. I do not want to judge.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 PM

There is always something to say that is positive and supportive!! We all need those pats on the back.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:31 PM

It is the time invested by the creator of the product, doing what they enjoy.Compliments are the best.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pickles
I believe the only thing that spews from ones mouth
should be kindness and love for another , not rudeness
as that only shows your mentality. Judge Not Least Ye Be Judged..
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 03-05-2011, 02:39 AM

I would just try to find something that I liked about their project. :D And offer encouragement to keep on quilting!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:55 AM
saf

As an absolute beginner I was very hesitant to take my first very small project to my quilting class for everyone to see. I was only too aware of every fault that could be seen and a good few that I couldn't. Unexpectedly a very experienced quilter popped in just as the group had come around to my show and tell. I cringed as this lady approached. Her comment "This blue fabric is so pretty. It's really nice to meet someone who loves quilting as much as I do." I couldn't wait to get home and start my next challenge.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by deema
If I can't find a single endearing quality...I say nothing at all. If its a one on one situation where I'd clearly be expected to say *something* I'd say something completely generic - "Very interesting fabric choices" or whatever. I really try to find something I like about any project, even if it's not my style. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I don't want to be "that guy" (well, I'm a girl) that said something about someone's work and hurt their feelings. Quilting techniques and choices are very much a personal thing. I put a fair bit of thought into the things I do for any given quilt. Maybe my color choices don't appeal to you...but there is a reason I chose them. Know what I mean? Maybe I chose those colors because they remind me of my deceased grandfather and I wanted to make something to honor him. For someone to then tell me my color choices are crap would break my heart...
I think this is exactly right. Say it is interesting or some such and move on. :roll:
Old 03-22-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
Kind words are the first comment to make.
Amen! And the second and third, too! :)

Kind words always!