Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you say when somesone shows you their project >

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
I actually had an experience with something like this....but I was the "quilter" that was just starting out. I decided to attend a class making a Dresden Plate Block. The teacher, though a very skilled quilter, made negative comments about every stitch I took. My seams weren't perfect, they weren't straight...etc...and no matter how hard I tried, the more she commented, the more nervous I got. And my stitching got worse. Now, up to that point in time, I was an accomplished seamstress..I made all my own and my children's clothes..you would think making the transition to quilting would have been easy. And...I had made some simple applique baby quilts on my own already. But I wanted to learn to piece. Needless to say, the fabric and the one block from that class still reside in my UFO's. And, maybe most importantly, it was over 20 yrs before I could screw on my courage and attend another class. The only class I ever have attended....and it was on hand-piecing. And that experience has kept me from being around other quilters, too...I have, until this year, avoided guilds, classes, etc...as I felt so inferior. I still have to screw on my courage just to attend a guild meeting......

Now maybe my response to that one class was extreme....but it does go to show that our words are very powerful....and how we interact and what we say to another person can impact their life for a long, long time....

k
Words are the most powerful weapon we have. I was told many times growing up that I could'nt do something. I wanted to sing in church with my family and was told I could not sing. I wanted to learn to play the piano and was told I did not have the talent. I did learn to sew at 14 and often got a complement but not often from the ones that would have counted the most. Well T age 4o + I started singing in church and at 48 took piano lessons and now play in church. Am I great at either? NO but God only wants our best and any teacher of afults or children should watch carefully what they say.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:13 AM

Oh, I see this a lot. My response, "I know you enjoyed making it. Thank you for showing it to me."

But if it's an author--quite another thing! Their work should be top notch, but may not be. That, I feel, is the fault of the publisher not demanding excellent work.

Sandy
Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
Kind words are the first comment to make.
Amen! And the second and third, too! :)
They are the only ones to make. My first quilt was a mess, but it was mine and I was proud. :mrgreen:
Old 03-01-2011, 06:41 AM

I would say, "Isn't quilting fun?" and keep walking.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:43 AM

For me, the pleasure is in the doing, not the result. I would say, I bet you enjoyed making this.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:50 AM

I can always find something nice and positive to say. I try to remember how much work and time goes into making a quilt. The maker is obviously proud to display their work and the effort should be honored.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Carrie Jo
I say.." Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I love bright cheery colors and some think they are horrible, so I say live and let live.
I ditto this, why hurt feelings? When A... why that is a colorful quilt could be said,nice job could be said. My quilts are far from perfect. Uneven stitches,learning to FM on my domestic Kenmore. Points are sometimes off. Being I am not getting paid for what I do enjoying what you do is what counts.

Example: My sister has a midarm machine. She is learning...A lady from a local guild wanted to see what she was doing..My sis.told me this was a terrible job on the quilt. She had done a Christmas in the moutains in satin. She informed the lady it was not that good, The lady was very critical of her work..Why?? She could have said yes you have mistakes and it is not your best work as I have seen what you can do!! But it still is a beautiful quilt Don't sweat it.
Why hurt someones feelings... My Opinion only! :-D
BillsBonBon
Old 03-01-2011, 06:59 AM

Try to be kind... After all we all started someplace. I know I
do a lot of things that others may frown at . However, I have
a good judge and critic though very kind in my DD. She doesn't
sew but loves to shop for fabric and is always bringing me
a new tool or fabric. I consider myself very lucky.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:02 AM

I think quilting is truly a gift from one's heart and for that, there is no measure.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:10 AM

I would just find something nice to say unless they specifically asked for a critique or help. Even then, I'd be hesitant to be critical. It's too easy to unintentionally hurt someone or quash artistic aspirations.