Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you say when somesone shows you their project >

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

Old 03-01-2011, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
I truely believe that you can always find something that is nice to say. If that person is actually asking for your advice or opinion, then maybe it'd okay to offer constructive opinions, but even then, find nice first, give opinion last.
My sentiments exactly. We must be kind to each other as we don't know their circumstances.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:07 AM

remember thumper in peter rarrit he was told if you can not say something good say nothing at all lets think first then be nice we all were taught to be nice right!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:14 AM

Always say something positive! I agree we all have different favorite colors and styles, and some of us just starting quilting.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:35 AM

I just keep my opinion to myself, smile and say that is nice. Just like different people have different intelligence levels so do they have different seamstress levels. If it is good to them it should be good enough for everyone else I would think.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:41 AM

I am a very outspoken person but I would never hurt someones feelings over a quilt they were so proud of. There is always something nice to say. I quilted several quilts for a lady that were so hard to work with because they were so uneven and later found she worked on them while her husband was dying with cancer.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:48 AM

one can always say "wow-that must have take you some time!" (pretty generic,eh?)
Old 03-01-2011, 03:49 AM

I say be polite and try not to hurt their feelings. Who knows it might just be their first quilt and they are proud of their accomplishments. Jeanniebelle
Old 03-01-2011, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Enchanted Quilter
Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
Kind words are the first comment to make.
Amen! And the second and third, too! :)
Just remember we all started somewhere no one is perfect. Remember when you 1st started we didn't know anything then BUT the Praise & Nice quotes sure made us want to do & Learn more.
Absolutely - without a little praise and/or recognition the desire to continue dies.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
The greatest gift is LOVE..... I try not to forget that. Love goes into every quilt we make...... and sweet, kind words are a good expression of love..... I try to always find something loving to say.....
My quilts will never be of the quality of many I see on this site, but it gives me great pleasure when someone sees something good in them. I am critical enough of my own work so any positive comment warms my heart. I try to remember this when I view the works of others.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:12 AM

when I first started I had such visions of my Art/quilt. I still have my initial projects and I even posted one of them on this list. I will never finish it cause I hate it now. LOL But if you all werent so kind to me I would have lost heart and probably not continued. Since then I have done a couple pieces and my ocd has made me rip out and do it again and some times again and again. I have been to a quilt show and looking at some of the work think "why did they enter this?" as I saw whole lines of stitching missing etc. Then I saw spectacular quilts that made me stand in awe looking at them. all a learning experience.
Im my own worst critic and my husband of 25 years who is also my best friend tells me gently when something is amiss and i dont see it myself as he knows that I would want to know from him and not from someone else.
So I guess what Im saying here is Yes be kind. always find something positive to say. It helps us newbies to grow! JoAnn
(who is by nature a perfectionist, but has learned that life is not perfect but an art!)