Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you say when somesone shows you their project >

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

Old 02-28-2011, 06:36 PM

I for one was taught at a very young age "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything"....
Old 02-28-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ann L
Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
Kind words are the first comment to make.
Amen! And the second and third, too! :)
I 4th it!
That's really beautiful.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:40 PM

I always just compliment their work. Not everyone can be as good as we think they should be. Same as when I say oh what a pretty baby! Or pretty horse. Or house. I never ever say different unless asked specifically.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ann L
Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
Kind words are the first comment to make.
Amen! And the second and third, too! :)
I 4th it!
I 5th it
Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

If I really dislike it, I say nothing, usually I say it is pretty. Everyone likes to think they're work is great and it encourages them to keep trying, most always the work or color choices will improve. No one is perfect and that is always good to remember. Who are we to decide what is good or pretty?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:06 PM

Now you are making me worry. I sell my sewing at craft shows, but i sell some things and alot of people say "I do nice work" I hope my items are of high quality. and you know presentation means alot. The correct table clothes and a mirror to look at what they might purchase and change and your manners and a nice bag and tissue to pack there puchase and your business card. even a breath mint in a dish for the customers is nice. I try
Old 02-28-2011, 07:12 PM

I would never find fault with anyones quilt (or any other craft). I agree that we all need to say nice things or nothing at all. I like the statement "You must be very proud!" and will be using it!
Old 03-01-2011, 02:08 AM

I'd same the same things as I'd say on here.As others said, not all quilting/crafts is to my liking.So what? Neither will everyone like mine.Different strokes for different folks holds true here.A simple ...that looks like a lot work....or took lots of time is fine.If it's quilted, there is always something good we can remark on.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:32 AM

I was always told "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything"
Old 03-01-2011, 02:42 AM

Thank you for doing that.Your remarks also brought tears to my eyes.Some ppl get it right & you surely have.

[quote=NannySandy]
Originally Posted by jljack
Funny you brought this up right now. I said "yes" to quilting a quilt being made by a very close friend's mother. The mom had a stroke a few months ago, and my friend said her mom was struggling to complete the quilt top. It's for a wedding gift.

Well, they brought me the top on Saturday. It brought tears to my eyes, as I could just see the struggle the lady had finishing the top. It was a very simple pattern with many uneven seams, puckers, folds, open seams. It would not lay flat no matter how I patted and tugged. I spent yesterday gently taking the borders off and separating the rows so I can at least straighten them enough to re-sew them together. It is obvious that the machine she used was having tension issues, as there were knots of thread and very uneven stitches.

Anyway, I will NEVER say a word to my friend or the mom about me fixing some of the issues. I can't do them all, because I would have to take it completely apart. I love the effort that she put into this top, and the amount of love she showed by that effort. Her struggle is written all over that top, and it is to be cherished. My goal is to make it a useable quilt, not to re-do her work. Hopefully they will not notice that I straightened the seams, and will just think that I did a great quilting job!! :thumbup: :D

BTW, I had quilted one of her previous quilts, and it was really quite good. She is home-taught by her mother, and has been making her quilts for several years.