Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you sew on??? >

What do you sew on???

What do you sew on???

Old 07-08-2010, 04:16 AM

The folding tables from either Sam's or Cosco are great. Just add PVS pipe pieces cut to various sizes to place under each table leg to lift it to needed height. Have used these for years cause they're so mobile.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:28 AM

Navy Wife: A 1471??? You lucky girl! I'd love to find one of these :) Have you had it a long time?
Old 07-08-2010, 04:34 AM

Those of you that use the tables from Costco (the hard plastic ones), don't they "move" when you sew? I tried using a small one we have (the 4' one) and it wasn't very stable so I had DH put it back downstairs in the laundry room.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:34 AM

A few yrs ago we remodeled our kitchen. Took the old counter where the sink was not and went to Menards, or Lowe's or someplace like that and bought some legs and my husband made me a sewing counter.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:38 AM

drdolly: that's exactly what I tried to talk my DH in to letting me do! I suggested we get new granite counter tops and then I could use that section where the sink is for my sewing table. He didn't go for that idea. I thought it made perfect sense...LOL
Old 07-08-2010, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
drdolly: that's exactly what I tried to talk my DH in to letting me do! I suggested we get new granite counter tops and then I could use that section where the sink is for my sewing table. He didn't go for that idea. I thought it made perfect sense...LOL
I'm going to have to try that with my husband and see what he says. LOL
Old 07-08-2010, 04:57 AM

I use those lightweight 7 ft foldable tables you can get at Sams. I also found a smaller one that you can raise the table top to 2 different heights. I fold them up when I need the bedrooms for guests. I also found a hydraulic stool at Bed, Bath & Beyond that allows me to sit at my high cutting table or I can lower it for sewing at one of the tables.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
hahahaha :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: that is way too funny. I would love to do that but hate my counters in my kitchen. they are original to the house from the mid 70's and go with the stove and tiles. all harvest gold. Tell your hubby that you need a new kitchen. that way if you have to sell it will sell better. hehe May be he will just let you buy a section of counter from homedepot or lowes. either way you will be a winner.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:12 AM

My husband's been a dream when it comes to sewing tables. He's adjusted a couple for me and even helped my brother in law fit my sister's machine into a sewing desk we found at a yard sale for $3! My nelco machine sits in an old kitchen table. He built a shelf underneath to make the machine flush with the top. A friend gave me a sewing desk that he again put a shelf underneath to hold my sapphire and make it flush with the top. Remind me to give that man a kiss when I see him tonight!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:21 AM

I have a Janome 6600 Memory Craft which I bought several years ago around the same time we purchased a new kitchen set. We were going to sell the old kitchen table and buffet, but when I started looking for cabinets for the new machine, it struck me that I've been sewing on the kitchen table for years, so we moved the table and buffet to our basement and created a sewing area for me. The table is perfect size, the buffet holds my thread, books, and everything else and I have a cutting table nearby. Totally awesome and we're were very glad to repurpose our furniture instead of spending even more on a new cabine.