Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you sew on??? >

What do you sew on???

What do you sew on???

Old 07-08-2010, 04:55 PM

I sew on a 6 foot long table that is a great height for me--I'm only 5'4". I recently rearranged things and now have set up two machines on the table, so I don't have to move a machine if I need to zig-zag some batting together or do a decorative stitch. Works well for me.

My sewing/craft table
[ATTACH=CONFIG]80590[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-80585.jpe  
Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM

I have a Janome 11543 and it sits on a beautiful dark wood Dining table in my sewing room.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-80541.jpe  
Old 07-08-2010, 05:54 PM

I would cover the wood with a vinyl table cloth stapled on. Everything slides on those, they are cheap and come in a plethora of colors and sizes.

I sew on a memory craft 4000 which is old but my only complaint about it is the limited throat space. I have a craft room that I share with my husband as an office but I prefer the dining room table. It is lighter in there and we seldom eat on that huge table so I can cut at one end and sew at the other and invite a friend to sew on the other side. :D

This is the space where my machine belongs. Yes the table is plastic but since I keep the machine directly over the legs, it minimizes vibration. Yes, I have two many hobbies.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]80290[/ATTACH]

The left desk belongs to the computer geek. It is useful to have him nearby since I am challenged in that area. That is why I have my own set up. So I wont ruin his. haha
[ATTACH=CONFIG]80291[/ATTACH]

The small drawers are fat quarters by color, the large are scraps and current projects. The boxes are flannel, baby, juvenile, themed fabrics etc. Cookbooks I cannot part with even though I usually use the computer for new stuff. Top boxes are larger pieces of yard goods. The blue are 2 three drawer cardboard lingerie chests I picked up at a garage sale for felt, yard, embroidery , ribbon etc. 3 ring binders hold the envelopes of patterns in plastic protectors and the actual pattern pieces are in labeled hanging files in file cabinet in closet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]80297[/ATTACH]

This is where I prefer to sew and I moved one of my swivel kitchen chairs in there for easy access to the ironing board. The white table cover is the padded cloth that I keep under the cloth table cloth that is nornally on the table.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]80300[/ATTACH]

Close up of machine with my extension table and little light which I love (both of them). The clear extention table can be found at http://sewingmates.com/table_models.htm. I like it because if you have more than one machine or you upgrade it is adjustable.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]80305[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-80285.jpe   attachment-80286.jpe   attachment-80292.jpe   attachment-80295.jpe   attachment-80300.jpe  

Old 07-08-2010, 06:06 PM

Thanks for all the ideas and pictures!! I see I'm not the only one with a small room to sew in. It's been a real challenge for me to figure out work and storage space. Our previous house had a very large 3rd bedroom with double closets.

acesgame: I was wondering if I could cover the plywood with vinyl cloth. I have some upstairs in the attic. I think I'll dig it out and see how big it is :)
Old 07-08-2010, 06:51 PM

I had my DH cover some old cabinets w/a counter shelf from Home Depot yrs. ago. It works very well, only my large cutting mat is an inch over. When I use a smaller mat, it's fine. I have lots of room for a basket full of fabrics, etc & a cozy cat!!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:23 PM

Me too. I bought a bernina 830 at our local quilt show in November, I have the Horne quilting table, I don't have much space so I sew in the kitchen, I do my own quilting , finished a king size for my bed recently, did it in several pieces, but it worked,opened up the table and used the kitchen table along with it , did lots of quilting on it , I use my surger on the kitchen table and my old 930 if I need to on the kitchen table,also set up like a production line if I am making embroidery on the 830 and use the other machines for the other work :thumbup:
Old 07-08-2010, 08:29 PM

I have lots of machines... and a great husband who built a sewing shelf around my shop. They are lined up on it. He was sick of having no dining room table, ROFLMAO! He also bought me a building, which is where the shelves and machines are. Installed lighting and then added more shelves for fabric and drawers for thread and such. I also have two that are in their own tables.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 PM

I have a Bernina ,830, I had the QE traded it in and I now have 2 inserts ,the QE insert does not fit the 830 and yes they cost $50.00 a piece, but all the acessories do fit the new 830, Thank God for little favors I had almost $1,000.00 tied up in the accessory feet and hoops. ;-)
Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 PM

I have a plastic banquet table from Lowe's. I have 2 machines on it. This picture is from several years ago...the table is the same, but I now have 2 Viking's sitting one it...Platinum 775 that is my main sewing machine and a Scandinavia 400 that I use mainly for embroidery. My serger is pushed toward the back on the left hand side. When I want to use it I push the Scandinavia back and pull the serger forward. Eventually I'd like to get a small table for either the embroidery machine or the serger.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-80336.jpe  
Old 07-09-2010, 06:32 AM

Ooohhh, I'd like to sew in your sewing room and look out that window!! Looks beautiful in your neighborhood