Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you think of this design? >

what do you think of this design?

what do you think of this design?

Old 05-15-2010, 06:26 PM

I think you should use batiks as they would make this design turn out gorgeous!
Old 05-15-2010, 08:41 PM

Love your design. I am not one to give advise on solid or tone on tone, because I am biased. I prefer fabrics that read solid for my quilts. Do what you like and can find the right fabrics for. Love the change on the corners.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:06 PM

First off, it's beautiful! I can't imagine how long that will take you, and I agree, you'll have to share your progress with us! When I saw your design, the first thing that came to mind was some fat quarter bundles that I've seen on the Robert Kaufman website:

http://www.robertkaufman.com/pre-cut...en_colorstory/

http://www.robertkaufman.com/pre-cut...im_colorstory/

I think these two are the closest to what you're looking for in terms of a colorway, they have another one that's got more aqua-teal blues; however based on your mockup, these two are closer to what you're looking for than the posideon colorway. Obviously you're gonna need a lot more than a fat quarter set, but what's awesome is that you can see the colors against each other, and then they actually list the SKU number of each blue that is each bundle, so you'll be able to buy them with the sku numbers in hand and you'll have somewhat a basic idea of how they'll look together.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:17 PM

Hi Carol, From first glance I fell in love with your design and your color choices. Blue is one of my favorite colors, so of course, I am going to suggest you work with the colors and their varying shades on the design you posted.

When I invision your quilt completed, I would not use prints unless they were very tiny and subtle. Maybe throw in some batiks but prints would, like you said, make it too busy.

What about making a scaled down sample of the center (maybe using four blocks) and then add your white border and your small strips for your outside border to see if you like it with prints, solids or a mixture of batiks. You could use those for place mats to keep or give away.

Beautiful color variations and beautiful design. :thumbup:
Old 05-16-2010, 03:36 AM

Hi Carol, I love the picture. What is the name of the pattern. Sandy, south elgin il
Old 05-16-2010, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

HI Carol.. I think your design will be stunning. I found something interesting on my last visit to my LQS that may be jsut what you need. It was a line of batiks that have a wave of color across the WOF....I'm not sure who makes it..I can find out for you if you'd like...but you buy the one piece and it will have like 6 or 8 shades of the same color running across the piece. Its great to work with and I do think that your design made up in batiks will be beautiful!! Let me know if you'd like more info on the fabric...I didn't read all the pages of this thread, so someone else may have already told you about it.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by stoppain
Hi Carol, I love the picture. What is the name of the pattern. Sandy, south elgin il
It's my own design.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
HI Carol.. I think your design will be stunning. I found something interesting on my last visit to my LQS that may be jsut what you need. It was a line of batiks that have a wave of color across the WOF....I'm not sure who makes it..I can find out for you if you'd like...but you buy the one piece and it will have like 6 or 8 shades of the same color running across the piece. Its great to work with and I do think that your design made up in batiks will be beautiful!! Let me know if you'd like more info on the fabric...I didn't read all the pages of this thread, so someone else may have already told you about it.
I would be interested to see it because, as you can tell, I love monochrome shades like you describe.
Thanks!
Old 05-16-2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by wambrita
First off, it's beautiful! I can't imagine how long that will take you, and I agree, you'll have to share your progress with us! When I saw your design, the first thing that came to mind was some fat quarter bundles that I've seen on the Robert Kaufman website:

http://www.robertkaufman.com/pre-cut...en_colorstory/

http://www.robertkaufman.com/pre-cut...im_colorstory/

I think these two are the closest to what you're looking for in terms of a colorway, they have another one that's got more aqua-teal blues; however based on your mockup, these two are closer to what you're looking for than the posideon colorway. Obviously you're gonna need a lot more than a fat quarter set, but what's awesome is that you can see the colors against each other, and then they actually list the SKU number of each blue that is each bundle, so you'll be able to buy them with the sku numbers in hand and you'll have somewhat a basic idea of how they'll look together.

Hope that helps!
I think these are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Google Goddess

awesome, what program did you use to design it?