Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you think of this design? >

what do you think of this design?

what do you think of this design?

Old 05-15-2010, 07:18 AM

It is a beautiful idea. I would consider doing the outside pieces in complimentary blue prints and the main body in the solids. I like the batik idea but again I would use them in the outside design and use a variety of dark batiks, not just blue but variations like purple and magenta. It will be a pleasure to see the finished quilt. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:30 AM

Very nice. I think I would use solids and tone on tone since finding 12 different solids might be a problem.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:35 AM

I think that it is absolutely beautiful. I would go with the solid colors. This piece will be timeless.
Originally Posted by carol45
I'm attaching an Adobe Illustrator design for a full size quilt. It uses 12 shades of blue. It will be the first large quilt that I have made. The white thin border along the sides and bottom should run along the edges of the bed. So here are my questions:
1) Do you think it's a nice design? It's really hard for me to tell how it will look when it's finished, even with the drawing.
2) Do you think I should use solid colors or find fabrics of the right shade, but with some design in them--I think that it might be a bit too busy if I don't use solids.
3) Can you make suggestions to improve the design? I'm not sensitive, and I expect this will take me a long time to make, so I want to love it when I'm finished--all suggestions will be appreciated--you folks are so talented.
Thanks,
Carol
Old 05-15-2010, 07:43 AM

Nice design, I like the pattern just as it is. Maybe use some blue batiks if you can't find all blue solids. What program did you use to design the pattern?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by judithb
Nice design, I like the pattern just as it is. Maybe use some blue batiks if you can't find all blue solids. What program did you use to design the pattern?
I used Adobe Illustrator, but I've just preordered eq7 and hope to learn that--I think it will make it easier to try different fabric types, etc.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:54 AM

Thats a great pattern. I think as long as you use the gradiation of lights and darks in their proper places it will look awsome. It would be interesting to see it in plains and in patterns. Just need good contrast to see it in the patterns.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:18 AM

This one is the deal!
Old 05-15-2010, 12:24 PM

Really like the pattern and could be either all solids or a mixture of small print, tone on tone, and solids. I think it will be stunning in the gradations of the blues, can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by ctack2
I wouldn't go with ALL prints, that WOULD be too busy.
If you decide to try to find some prints in the right shades, I would try to alternate and do every other or every third color as a print.
I think it will be a very pretty quilt. Dont' forget to post pics when you pick your fabric and again as you're working on it.
Carol B
I agree, but whatever you decide will be fine. It is your quilt and you are the one that needs to be pleased with it. Please post a pic when it is finished.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:54 PM

Hello Carol45

I love all the blues and agree with many above, solid and a small mix of tiny prints would be nice but I also agree with Sewcrafty - the corners need separating out by a spray of diagonal/triangles, or even a plain block with quilting just to break the sharp change in direction. Enjoy making it and let's see the result in due course.