Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you think of this design? >

what do you think of this design?

what do you think of this design?

Old 05-15-2010, 04:52 AM

I'll be quilting it by machine. But I haven't thought ahead that much. First, I'm going to get eq7 and learn how to use it and look at the design with some tone on tone fabrics--this is a long term project for me. I'll also have to do paper piecing in the corners, which I've never done--so all kinds of new skills will be involved. It's exciting! And I'm getting so much good advice from y'all!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by jolo
I love your design just the way it is. My one comment is HOw are you going to quilt it. By hand or machine. If hand ,dont use batiks,I hand quilt and batiks do not lend themselves to it. Jolo
Old 05-15-2010, 04:55 AM

I think it looks abosolutely beautiful. Made me feel Heavenly.
And boy is that a good feeling.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:00 AM

Oh I love that pattern, another one that was on my list of to do's. Well not like yours, mine are never that beautiful. I have collected over the yrs a number of different shades of blue, but ended up getting the batiks for what I needed it for, so I am a hurrah for batiks, that one would look so perfect in batiks.

Rita
Old 05-15-2010, 05:38 AM

I think it is fantastic as it is.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:40 AM

Love it. Go with the solids ans prints that read a s solids. Can't wait for finished!! pics.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:40 AM

I love it when we challenge ourselves!!!! I'll be watching with the others to see how this comes out!!!!

Ditter
Old 05-15-2010, 06:06 AM

Beautiful.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by carol45
So I did a bit of redesigning based on your input. I'm attaching the new design.
As far as the colors go, one thing that everyone seems to be in agreement on is that it will be difficult to find all the blues that I need. It seems to me that the tone on tone fabrics will be more difficult to find than solids. I looked on the Hancocks of Paducah web site and there are many solid blues--I counted about 26 between the Moda and Kona solids that might work, so maybe I could find the 12 that I need since someone said that the Kona and Moda solids work together. The question is, how can I do that? Does any place send swatches? Does any place carry them all? Any ideas? I figure that I will need about 1 yard of each fabric (I haveuggice tone on tone fabric for the white border) since I'll probably make some curtains and shams to match and I don't want to run out of anything.
If you have a quilt store nearby, chances are they have the color cards they might be willing to let you see. They may have several of the blues you'll need. I don't like to mix prints and solids becasue I think it makes the solids look boring - even if they're a bright color. I would suggest finding all the shades you can, and then perhaps adjusting the design to accomodate them.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:33 AM
Banned

1) Do you think it's a nice design? It's really hard for me to tell how it will look when it's finished, even with the drawing.
2) Do you think I should use solid colors or find fabrics of the right shade, but with some design in them--I think that it might be a bit too busy if I don't use solids.
3) Can you make suggestions to improve the design? I'm not sensitive, and I expect this will take me a long time to make, so

I. I do not like the design at all; it's very lopsided looking. If the stars were upright it would look alot better to me.
I love the border.
2. It will be more dramatic with solids so I'd stick with solids.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:52 AM

Wow that site has a lot of blues that would work if you decide to put some solid looking prints in there. What a beautiful quilt. Can't wait to see it done. Picking out the fabric is the worst and best part of starting a quilt. lol