Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you think of this design? >

what do you think of this design?

what do you think of this design?

Old 05-14-2010, 03:43 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I have a Kona Cotton color card at the shop, and also a Moda Marble card. I'll see if there are 12 shades of the same HUE of blue that would work together.

IMHO it will be the careful selection of the colors that will make this design work. And I know how colors don't always come true-to-life on a computer screen! If you get some fabrics that lean toward purple and others that lean toward cyan you won't get the same effect.

Will let you now what I find.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:16 AM

Be careful because Kona solids can vary quite a bit (okay, a lot) from dye lot to dye lot of the same color number and thus from the color card. You might want to consider expanding your fabric choices by having the blues fade into creams. It would still have 12 steps, just a slightly bigger step between tints. Moda Bella is also a perfect 'mate' for Kona and I have used it to fill in gaps in gradations on several occasions.

One trick I learned is to save the pictures of the swatches on the Hancocks of Paducah website to my computer and then I can compare colors side by side as if on a design wall. Although the colors may not be true to the actual fabric because of my monitor, they will be pretty true in relationship to each other.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:29 AM
Banned

perhaps very small prints that read as solids.
Your real difficulty is finding the fabric. It will take a long time searching (I've had the experience) You could use hand dyes but they usually come in 8 gradations.
You will have to calculate the amount of yardage needed and then start the search. Couple weeks ago I was in a very large quilt shop with hundreds of bolts of fabric in each color group and I doubt that I could have put together 12 suitable values of any color. I recently did a Giant Dahlia that needed 6 colors but 8 values in each color and it took me almost years to find the fabric. This is not to discourage but to warn. Go for it. It is a great design.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I have a Kona Cotton color card at the shop, and also a Moda Marble card. I'll see if there are 12 shades of the same HUE of blue that would work together.

IMHO it will be the careful selection of the colors that will make this design work. And I know how colors don't always come true-to-life on a computer screen! If you get some fabrics that lean toward purple and others that lean toward cyan you won't get the same effect.

Will let you now what I find.
Thanks!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:28 AM

If you used solids, it might be next to impossible to keep them straight and used in the right places. I vote for some pattern - tone on tone, etc. If you chose a fabric with a bit of color other than blue, you could incorporate a tiny tone on tone with a hint of the other color. I'm thinking batik, perhaps. This is YOUR quilt. Can't wait to see the result. It will be stunning.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:58 AM

So I did a bit of redesigning based on your input. I'm attaching the new design.
As far as the colors go, one thing that everyone seems to be in agreement on is that it will be difficult to find all the blues that I need. It seems to me that the tone on tone fabrics will be more difficult to find than solids. I looked on the Hancocks of Paducah web site and there are many solid blues--I counted about 26 between the Moda and Kona solids that might work, so maybe I could find the 12 that I need since someone said that the Kona and Moda solids work together. The question is, how can I do that? Does any place send swatches? Does any place carry them all? Any ideas? I figure that I will need about 1 yard of each fabric (I have a nice tone on tone fabric for the white border) since I'll probably make some curtains and shams to match and I don't want to run out of anything.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-47364.jpe  
Old 05-14-2010, 10:07 AM

What a fabulous study in values!! It just shimmers!! I tend to lean towards the tone on tones and small prints, because of the texture they would add, but quilting would add that texture too! It's your baby and she's beautiful!!!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:10 AM

i love the changes :D makes it pop even more
will be glad to see the quilt when you make it :D
Old 05-14-2010, 10:49 AM

here is a link to another quilt made by a board member, using the same pattern. It works up nicely. I have used the pattern but not in quite the same way. You have chosen an interesting concept.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-42426-1.htm

June
Old 05-14-2010, 11:26 AM

I love the pattern, and the color. I might use tone on tone or materials that read as solids, and some solids to fill out your color ways. I think just solids would be too much, and finding that many solids would be very hard.