Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you think of this design? >

what do you think of this design?

what do you think of this design?

Old 05-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carol45
Now I'm torn between solids and the batik idea.
Also at http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...OON-MEDLEY.htm
there are 7 blues shown; maybe I can use those in combination with some of the batiks. What do y'all think of that?
Those blues have very nice tone/hue to them, I think they would be good to use as a starting point.
I think I would buy enough yardage so these strips don't have to be pieced together, it is hard to do this without it being really noticeable with solids.
Batiks, blenders and such would look beautiful, but you will lose part of the effect with them. It won't be quite as dramatic as your example, IMHO.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:21 PM

[/quote]Those blues have very nice tone/hue to them, I think they would be good to use as a starting point.
I think I would buy enough yardage so these strips don't have to be pieced together, it is hard to do this without it being really noticeable with solids.
Batiks, blenders and such would look beautiful, but you will lose part of the effect with them. It won't be quite as dramatic as your example, IMHO.[/quote]

What do you mean "so that the strips don't have to be pieced together" ? Are you talking about the batiks?
Old 05-13-2010, 05:27 PM

I would use the soilds, it will let the quilting really stand out. It's a really pretty design!
Old 05-13-2010, 05:39 PM

Amma,
I think I understand now what you're saying about the strips not having to be pieced together--do you mean that I don't want to have seams in the middle of peices because they would show up on solids?

Originally Posted by amma
Originally Posted by carol45
Now I'm torn between solids and the batik idea.
Also at http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...OON-MEDLEY.htm
there are 7 blues shown; maybe I can use those in combination with some of the batiks. What do y'all think of that?
Those blues have very nice tone/hue to them, I think they would be good to use as a starting point.
Batiks, blenders and such would look beautiful, but you will lose part of the effect with them. It won't be quite as dramatic as your example, IMHO.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

Yes, that is what I meant :D:D:D depending on the quilting you choose, it could distract from the striking effect of the pattern :wink:
Batiks and blenders, florals it wouldn't matter.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:05 PM

tone on tone fabrics would be stunning, at a distance they will appear solid, close up they will give some movement and texture.
It is a beautiful design!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by katmom54
Wow..I love it just as it is...the variegated blues...would be really beautiful if you kept it that way.
I think so too. :thumbup:
Old 05-13-2010, 06:32 PM

Ditto Brush&thimble's comment - I was thinking that fabrics that 'read' as solids would be much more dramatic than solids - would add a lot more dimension and texture to the design.

http://www.thousandsofbolts.com has fabrics organized by colour and a large selection of tone-on-tone blues :) <no affiliation, but have purchased from them happily>

Nice design - have fun with the project!
Linda
Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

I think it would be awesome in solid colors. That is a beautiful pattern.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:12 AM

I'm not sure, but I've ordered fabric at JoAnn's. Do you know anyone there? If so, maybe they can look up the Kona and let you know the colors that they can order and get for you. Its probably the same way for the LQS. Just a thought. Do you have EQ6 or know someone that does? If so, there are a lot of fabric samples in there and it'll tell you who the manufacturer is.