Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you think of this design? >

what do you think of this design?

what do you think of this design?

Old 05-14-2010, 12:43 PM

Hi. I was the one that said Moda Bella and Kona solids play well together. I've used them together in an 8 step black to gray piece and a 12 step red to yellow piece, both all solids. Moda claims to have a sheen to the finish, but if I didn't know which fabrics in those two quilts were Moda, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Hancocks of Paducah is the only place I know of that sells all of both lines and their prices are the best to boot. They do not send swatches, although you could try asking them and telling them why, offering to pay for them of course. I expect they would simply advise you to order the color card for each line. They sell the Kona color card for 29.98 and the Moda Bella card for 19.98. The places I know that do send swatches, free or otherwise, do not carry these two lines at all.

Hope that helps. You could get a lot of "wrong" blues for the $50 you'd spend on the two color cards so that's something to consider. Are there any quilt shops near you that might have the cards you could look at or borrow?
Old 05-14-2010, 02:01 PM

That will make a fantastic Qt. Hopfully you will be able to find enough blues, with out going to dark. Theresse
Old 05-14-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
I think the solid colors would be stunning and allow for some beautiful quilting. My only concern would be finding 12 shades of solid blue, but then again, I've never looked for solids before. I also think it would look nice if you used small print, tone on tone fabrics.
Oh, I agree. Mix the solids with some prints, but keep the prints small.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:54 AM

It's gorgeous. I think the solid blues are what make it so striking. You might want to look at tone-on-tone fabrics.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:14 AM

I think it would be beautiful but I would use tone on tone or handdyes.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:15 AM

Beautiful design...What about using marbles.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:23 AM
Banned

You would be able to find 8 graduated solid colors in hand dyed fabrics. Having looked for graduations of colors, I doubt you will be able to find 12 that will work for you. Some will look the same from a distance. You might be able to do it with tone on tones but again 12 is an awesome number.
In my search I got color cards from several manufacturers and had difficulty putting together 6. So a tru graduation would be the hand dyed fabrics - but they usually come in 8 shades. A good source to look would be Cherrywood Fabrics
I don't know if this is the name but Cherrywood is the name.
Have you considered dying the fabric yourself.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:28 AM
Banned

Having looked for graduated colors, you might not find 12 that would work unless you do hand dyes. I got color cards from manufacturers and had difficulty finding even 6 graduated colors that worked. Try Cherrywood for hand dyes.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:47 AM

Carol, I think it is just stunning as it is..go for it..........
Old 05-15-2010, 04:48 AM

I love your design just the way it is. My one comment is HOw are you going to quilt it. By hand or machine. If hand ,dont use batiks,I hand quilt and batiks do not lend themselves to it. Jolo