Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting? >

What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting?

What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting?

Old 09-20-2011, 01:41 PM

STASH? WE ALLL SHOULD have oddles the way everything is going up. i just bought some more today, thinking, it's only going to go higher.
this is a good thread, nice to see things that we have choices about.
Me..... i do whatever i feel like on any given day.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by jdiane318
Machines, vintage vs the newer ones.
Dangit!! I missed an argument over vintage vs new? ~sigh~ I simply HAVE to pay more attention!

I know there are those that simply don't understand why there are those of us that prefer these old machines....and that's ok! I don't understand why they prefer the bells and whistles machines. ;)

Walmart/Joanne's vs LQS? If it's a choice between making a quilt with Walmart fabric, or not making one at all, I think most would choose the Walmart fabric, no matter what their preferences are.

There are always going to be those that don't understand copyright laws. Believe it or not, they're not as stringent as many think, but won't go into that right now.

I press with steam. Know what's said about that, and I simply don't care. Same thing with pre-wash. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. My choice to make and chance to take.

I will admit, sometimes some of the snarky comments make me want to reach thru the computer and slap someone. There's no reason to hurt someone's feelings...and if I ever have myself, please accept my apology!! It certainly wasn't intended!!!!!
I Hear you sister!!! Esp. the slapping part! LOL
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-20-2011, 01:47 PM

I can think of two things. The first is best of show awards for quilts that are machine sewn and quilted. Hand quilting purists who do not use sewing machines or long arms feel that there should be separate categories for hand quilters and machine quilters (this may have been resolved for all I know since I haven't attended any national shows). The second thing that seemed to set this board on fire was the Kill Sunbonnet Sue quilt from the seventies.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by PKITTY1
I can think of two things. The first is best of show awards for quilts that are machine sewn and quilted. Hand quilting purists who do not use sewing machines or long arms feel that there should be separate categories for hand quilters and machine quilters (this may have been resolved for all I know since I haven't attended any national shows). The second thing that seemed to set this board on fire was the Kill Sunbonnet Sue quilt from the seventies.
I agree on both :thumbup: :thumbup:
I am starting to hand quilt - (just because) but Sunbonnet Sue and her pals?? forget that !! Where is the creativity or novelty??
Old 09-20-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by redvette54
Hmmmm, I'm going to get in trouble for this one. For me it's been the controversy over another group starting over doing the Farmers Wife Sampler. I really want to work on this quilt with a group. Still hoping it could happen.
I don't see anything wrong with this. It is a good idea, because many of the people that started and dropped out might want to jump on the bandwagon and start again! I was in the first group and we just finished the quilt. They have recently started another group on the Yahoo FWSQ Group and Flicker, perhaps you can join them there!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:12 PM

I love this thread!!! Just don't want to hear about religion, politics or union bashing!!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by suebee
What about feathers? arent they great! LOL

Originally Posted by Selena
How much quilting on a quilt is too much usually brings out the beast in a few people.
That and are feathers being overdone on quilts was a recent heated debate, WOW!
Just a little...lol
Are you trying to get me in trouble...lol
I think I'm having an 'out of topic' experience! :mrgreen: :lol:

I agree that the art quilts versus trad quilts is a biggy. I would also add debates over 'history' versus myth, such as the Underground Railroad debate recently and the Amish deliberate mistake thing - true or not true?

And this topic is in danger of opening up a bazillion cans of worms! :lol:
I didn't and still do not want to cause worms to crawl around on our board but there have been a lot of different subjects brought up. I like your "out of topic experience"
Old 09-20-2011, 02:43 PM

I think the two things most confusing to me that I have heard folks have really strong opinions about: 1. pre washing fabric. 2. to steam or not to steam. interesting, and I still don't know the answer, although I have sewn quilts and not prewashed, and they have been gorgeous even after washing. (okay, I held my breath.) Pre washing is kind of a pain. I used to do it all the time. And I steam (carefully) Who knows what the right thing is to do?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:54 PM

My motto is "my quilt. My way. "[/quote]

I love it, I am posting it in my sewing room right now.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
wash or not seems to come up a lot