Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting? >

What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting?

What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

precuts vs yardage
Old 09-20-2011, 10:51 AM

[quote=kiffie2413]
Originally Posted by blondeslave
"Having "name brand" sewing machine vs. a less expensive, though not necessarily inferior one.
I posted about my Brother PQ1500 machine, had a couple of replies about being somewhat embarrassed to use Brother machines....I have seen that some at my lqs, too...I'm sorry, but I don't see any problems with it.. I think we are all just trying to enjoy our hobbies, and the "brand name" of the machine shouldn't enter into it..."

My humble Kenmore and I have felt this pain too. It was a huge upgrade for me from a straight stich only machine and all I could afford. Kicked my friend's Pfaff's machine butt when we were collaborating on a rag quilt.
I'm with you there. I have never bought a new sewing machine except for the ones I bought my DDs at the Black Friday Sale at WalMart 16 years ago. They served their purpose, they sewed. I have inherited machines, been given machines and bought a couple used. The one that sews the best is a 1950-60 Kenmore my son rescued from being put in a dumpster. I have to say the small Janome I bought used sews good too. I use it fot it's portability.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:04 AM

Love this topic.

I second everything everyone brought up -- especially copyright issues.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Country1
Probably the biggest controversial subject I've seen on here ( several times ) has been when the subject of a pattern for a concealed carry purse pattern comes up. It usually starts the big debate over guns. Sad the subject at hand can't just be answered without the BIG debate. :XD:
I know you said not political, religious, or moral, but this seems to be the biggest I've seen on here.

Now, I've seen some on here debate the quality they see or feel about different fabrics and thread alot also.
I know, why did I even post on this subject, I don't know myself. :oops:
Where can those patterns be found?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:18 AM

Ladies and Gent: This is an ART which we all participate in with varying degrees of talent, expertise and time. There are a ga-zillion (new word) ways of doing things - sometimes you read through a 'thread' and get an idea you may want to try - sometimes it works, other times you find out you weren't so stupid as you thought. Debates - sometimes interesting - sometimes not. I'll never win an award - but I like what I create - you like it . . fine - you don't?? fine as well I did it to make me feel good and if given to someone else - then hopefully they will appreciate the thought and effort and enjoy the love that was shared. Other than that - if you are policing what I do - give me constructive criticism and I will decide if it is constructive and works for me !
Old 09-20-2011, 11:20 AM

The most controversial topics I've seen on this Board have been:
1. Precuts ve yardage
2. Underground Railroad quilts - myth or historical fact;
3. Smoke, pet fur and other allergens...
4. Quality of fabric in quilts for charities
What I so much enjoy here are the helpful tips that come from so many wonderful people's experiences. This is such a great place to glean new ideas, new techniques...and expand horizons. Thank you all! I'm really grateful for all I've learned here.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:29 AM

i'm with you......
Old 09-20-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
Since this is a topic about controversail topics, I will have to say that the two topics on this board that I now avoid are:
To pre-wash or not,

And
Fabric purchased at big box retailers or quilt shops.

Seems like they bring out the mean-ness.
This is so true!!

Or how about what to use for backing?? Some like to use a sheet from thrift store and others frown on that!! LOL
Old 09-20-2011, 11:34 AM

I love to read and participate in the controversial threads. I love the spunkiness and hilarious comebacks. If you're feeling sluggish and having a hard time getting going click on one of these topics. After you crawl over to a chair so you can get up from rolling on the floor laughing you'll be firing on all cylinders and ready for some serious quilting.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by Willa
How about the age children start cutting with a rotary cutter and sewing on a machine? Some say, for example, 8 year olds are ok and others say never before age 18.
Also agree with prewash and no prewash.
I think the cutter goes back to how we were raised. I cooked, and sewed, and worked in the garden and in the field. I help Mom and I helped Dad. If I had avoided sharp things all that time, I'd have been in the house reading-------which I also did a lot of! I'd let a kid use a cutter whenever he/she wanted--well past kindergarten, anyway.
I agree with you. I also grew up on farm and had to help cut chickens, cut sweet corn for freezing, cook, cut cain out of the fields. Almost can't remember not doing it. I do remember mom always reminding us to "be careful that knife is sharp you can cut yourself soooo easy". We had a respectful fear of sharp objects instilled at a young age.