Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting? >

What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting?

What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:29 AM

I have 2 brothers (machines & in real life) That I wouldn't give up for anything. so I don't have to have really expesive machines to play with.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:36 AM

I always say it's a personal choice or "it's your quilt so you should do it the way you want. You need to like it!"

Agree: No quilt police!!

Personally I prefer to pre-wash my fabrics, always have; machine quilting over hand; would like to join a quilt guild for the friendships and ideas,but I just haven't found the time to do it yet!! sometimes steam, sometimes no steam; I usually use cotton thread, but on occasion I have used polyester; and I press to the dark rather than pressing the seams open.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:20 AM

me too
Originally Posted by tumrub
I have 2 brothers (machines & in real life) That I wouldn't give up for anything. so I don't have to have really expesive machines to play with.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:23 PM

Controversial? Let me see. Each and every one of us does things differently, not only in quilting but in other ways also. Do things my way or I won't like you. Sounds elementary school to me. Controversail sounds so angry to me. Lets agree to disagree. Sometimes I iron the seams to right, other times to left and still other times open. Sometimes I use steam and sometimes not. I always sew with a neutral thread. Sometimes I will match my fabric, most often not. No more controversy. Let's exchange ideas, ask opinions or ask for help. Personally I love everyone's quilts and I love this website. PS. No I'm not upset, I just don't like controversy among friends. Hope I didn't upset anyone. :)
Old 09-21-2011, 12:53 PM

Hopefully we are just talking about the quilting world and not just what we talk about on this board. I find the most controversial subject for me is the judge's comments when you place a quilt in a show!

In my history of the shows I have seen, I have watched many ladies think very highly of their accomplishments and then watch them as they lose some glow because a judge has written comments on their entries regarding all the things they did wrong. I quess one may look at it and say that the judge or judges are supposed to tell them some of the areas where they need to improve but at the same time there needs to be a lot more encouraging comments.

At one county fair, the comments were actually attached to the quilts while they were displayed. Most of the comments were bad. I have friends that although they have beautiful quilts at home to show, they won't do it. Every year, the number of quilts for the show goes down.

For a couple of years I would walk through the the exhibit building and read the comments. Why did the commnets have to be available for the public to see. One comment said "this is not really a quilt". Of course it was, it was a ragtime quilt. If it wasn't a quilt why did they allow the quilter to enter it.

I sure hope that other quilt shows are not like this. I would like to see the quilt judged and given a ribbon (or not) If comments are necessary, give them at the time the quilter comes for the quilt (after the show).

Please excuse my tone. I just think that everybody does beautiful work. I was taught that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:26 PM

[quote=KastleKitty]
Originally Posted by Podunk Princess
No one has mentioned the "stash" issue. I personally don't believe you're a "bad" person because you have a large stash of fabric and quilting supplies but some try to make you feel that way.
Well, naive I must be! Funny to read this today! For the first time I somehow came across a quilting site yesterday that was promoting only using fabric in your stash and never buying new as a means to eliminate the "dreaded" stash! They looked at it as a compulsion or an "ism"! OMG, I almost fell over! LOL

Needless to say I ran as fast as I could from that site to make sure I did not catch whatever it is that they carry! I am not a woman of means by any stretch of the imagination. I am not wasteful! But I would never even consider a sewing diet free of a new piece of fabric if it was called for! LOL I need the fabric eye-candy effect when I walk into a fabric store! Others may find that satisfaction in Vegas, in a bottle of pills, walking down the beer and wine isle, or at high speeds on the highway. Mine fills my mind's eye with color and makes the imagination run wild with glee over ideas! And I don't have to ruin my health over it! In fact the opposite it true, it helps my mental skills, gives me a creative calm, and strengthens my drive to live![/quote
You expressed my feelings toward fabric and yarn perfectly. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:39 PM

No here but I have run into soem of those so call Quilt Police - nit really sure how they are made but the cna be really hatful to tell you how horrible a job you did and hurt soem real feelings....
Old 09-21-2011, 03:29 PM

I do think this is a big can of worms!! Now the fun begins :-)
Old 09-21-2011, 04:26 PM

That made me giggle when you said you live to "annoy" the quilt police. We should all do just that! Thanks for the smile.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:39 PM

I think prewash or not.