Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think of this? >

What do you think of this?

What do you think of this?

Old 09-27-2014, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I copied and pasted and the spacing was off when it went to the post format. You actually thought I'd take the time to change font and color and format for the post? That proofreader's job is safe.
How the heck would I automatically know that you copied and pasted and the spacing was off? I've never had that happen and yes, I would fix the spacing (but not the color and font-what would that accomplish?) but I guess I'm picky that way. Wow. Just, wow. You asked what people thought. I guess I shouldn't have added my thoughts.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:34 PM

I received an email from an online dealer. This was part of the email:

Brother makes machines by other names. When you are deciding between 2 machines with different names made by theBrother company,BUY Brother- there is no other.

My guess is that it's a scam & that's why the English is so messed up. Even if it were true that Brother branded machines were identical to some generic name, Brother is not going to tell you that. It would be counterproductive. Beyond that, there are usually legalities that mean that even though 2 products are made by the same company, the company does not provide the same level of support for both. In addition, they usually create a separate legal entity for the non-branded product so that if a consumer sues, the well-known Brand (company) is not liable. Instead, the no-name company with limited assets is and it may not even be legal to bring it up in court that the 2 companies are related.

For those reasons, and more, if it is a major purchase, I usually will buy from a reputable dealer by a reputable manufacturer. I know that a large, established company like Viking, Brother or Singer is going to stand by their product and if something is really defective, they will repair or replace it without issue. Sewing machines are so expensive, I would hate to find out that I couldn't get parts, service or replacements on my machine after spending so much money (even if it did save me $100 at point-of-purchase). But that's just my take on it.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sunlover53 View Post
I found this article by someone who did a lot of research on sewing machines. The title explains a lot. Very extensive if you have the time to read it all. This was written in 2007 but I'm sure a lot of this article is very true.

http://www.evidently.org/2007/02/too-much-information/
Very interesting and enlightening article. I bought my Janome 7700 from a dealer who had been in business for a long time and closed his doors six months after my purchase. Said dealer, at least, has continued to honor our 3-year maintenance agreement and aside from the fact that I have to take my machine twice as far for service, it has worked out fine. I've always "hated" Janome for their lack of requiring dealers to be nice to people like me but now I see that is an industry-wide failing and not just Janome.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:07 AM

Each machine maker now does several. My son worked for a sewing machine dealer who sold both Brother and Babylock and he said Brother made the Brother brand
just a little bit different and better to sell their brand.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:21 AM

If you watch Project Runway, the machines are Brother. Nothing like what you see at the dealers though.
What, where is project runway?
Old 09-28-2014, 09:14 AM

Brother makes Babylock. They add a few extras to charge a little more. There are no differences in the structure of the upper end Brothers and the Babylocks. Brother does not make many lower end Babylocks if you notice. Babylocks are for dealers. Some dealers only carry Brother and some only carry Babylock.

I was told this when I questioned Brother. It scatters their product among more dealers.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:40 AM

I love the brother machines, I wore one out. Never had to have repairs.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:55 PM

While shopping for a new embroidery machine I was told that PFAFF is soon going to not be able to support their product in the US. That is because they've been bought by a Chinese company or at least will be manufactured in China. I was also told that Bernina is the only one still manufactured in Europe by the original company. I know several people who have purchased a Brother machine at Costco. I know they are not top of the line but thy are very functional and quite versatile for just regular sewing and piecing.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Odd email...
Old 09-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
I've been told that Brother also make Janome machines.
No this is not true. They are separate entities, and two of the few Japanese sewing machine companies left.

Cari