Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think >

What do you think

What do you think

Old 07-04-2010, 10:07 PM

I could do that... that could work... Thanks for the idea sharon.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:11 PM

I'm not doing as a business, for now. She is a friend, and she offered to pay me for the time. And She knows I don't have much, so she offered to buy the materials too. I may do it as a business at some point, but when I have more experience.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Google Goddess

good luck
Old 07-04-2010, 11:03 PM

That is a pretty progressive project for a novice...especially on a time table! If you are willing to do the project for her at that price, you may want to see if she is able to give you more time...I hate to see you frustrated early in your quilting journey. Have you warmed up that machine and turned out any small projects yet? Your kindness is admirable, but if you are willing to give of yourself like that...maybe she can work with you on a more flexible time frame. I, too, am a novice quilter, and don't want to see you stressing more than enjoying being able to do a really cool favor for someone like this! Good luck on this project!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
She asked me to make it. I told her that she would pay for the materials, cause I don't have that much to go with to begin with, and that she would pay me for my time. She said fine. she gets disability and ss.

Thing is, I could really use that 50 dollars right now... Should I ask her to give me a down payment of 50 and then she can worry about the last hundred later?
Another thought is, put all of the items that you will need on a wish list and send that to her and let her place the order at Connecting Threads. She can either have it shipped to your address, or deliver all of the stuff to you with maybe a partial payment. At least you will not be out the expense of the materials up front. Please discuss with her the options for having someone else quilt or bind it if this is beyond your skill level at this time. She would be getting a great deal if she only paid you $50.00 just to piece the top.....don't get caught having to pay for someone else to have to work on the project with you, as I am pretty sure that they will not be as generous with their time as you have been in your kindness. An 80" quilt is a big undertaking...make sure that you are both on the same page with the type of quilting that will be done. Doing FMQ or even SID on a top that size for a first project is a big undertaking. (Please don't throw the sewing machine out the window...LOL!) As a novice quilter, I often think of turning my machine into a boat anchor....LOL! Good Luck!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:41 PM

Andy323 makes some very good points. You said the quilt is 80 x 80. That is huge and would be very difficult if not impossible to quilt on a home machine. You might want to discuss hiring a longarm quilter with your client. ;-)
Old 07-05-2010, 04:00 AM

You mentioned possibly tying rather than quilting, and given the time frame you are working with, I think that is going to be your best option for this situation.

I agree that asking her to provide the materials (or cost of materials) up front is also wise.

Having done similar projects (costume design/construction) this is a workable way to do it. I also did not "charge nearly enough" but for me that was OK, because I knew I did not feel right charging more at that time for that project.

Another time for another project...we'll have to see, would always depend on the situation.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:07 AM

I think what you are doing is great! BUT, I shy away from such requests, they do give you experience, but take so much painstaking work. I can see from the pattern it is not a simple block. I sew for myself and my kids. I do find when people start paying for a quilt, even if it is a very modest price, they start getting very picky and unappreciative. This actually can be applied to any hand work.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:15 AM

I'm confused. I thought you bought the fabric from Connecting Threads and paid for it yourself and then you were going to charge her $150.00 when it was completed. Is that right? If so, I say you are not charging anywhere near enough but I do understand that you are taking her financial situation into consideration. If you paid for the fabrics you are not out of line in requesting $50.00 before the project is completed. I have only sold one quilt and I only charged her $50 for making it simply because she insisted on paying something for the time it took. I purchased the fabric and she paid me for it.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:20 AM

only do miminimal quilting, stitch in ditch like other person suggested. They will love it. You need to do what project, time, money etc calls for.