Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you use for backing? >

What do you use for backing?

What do you use for backing?

Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 AM

If I were making heirloom quilts, it would be a different story. I have never used anything but sheets...flat sheets, cotton sheets and poly/cotton sheets. I buy them at the thrift store and rarely have paid more than $2. for them. the quilts I make go to charities where the quilts are given to people who are homeless or are in great need, or are in foreign countries. They do not specify that they want quilts that are 100% cotton, and I dare say that some of them will NEVER see a washing machine. So being particular about what I use, has gone by the wayside. I make them with what I have and less I spend on backing, the more I can spent on making the tops. Thrift is up Front for me.

June in Cincinnati
Old 09-21-2011, 08:56 AM

I try to color coordinate the back to complement the front of the quilt. I try to use a print (hides my mistakes).
Old 09-21-2011, 11:09 AM

I, too, use bedsheets for the backs of larger quilts. I buy them from Target and have never paid more than $17 for a king flat. If the sets are on sale, I'll buy them as well for two or more quilts, one with matching pillowcases. 200 - 250 all cotton is best, IMO. (I miscut one sheet for a queen-sized quilt and ended up piecing it with leftovers from the front. Turned out great.)
Old 09-21-2011, 11:35 AM

95% of the time I use flannel. I like the softness of it & the warmth.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:36 AM

I do mostly queen/king size quilts and I feel the back needs to be as dramatic as the front. I will incorporate blocks, strips, or fabric carried over from the front. I just finished binding a "solar system" queen and had appliqued a half sun in one corner of the front. On the back I appliqued a moon in another corner. The backing is called "Northern Lights" and coordinates beautifully with the deep-space blue of the front.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

I generally piece mine. The latest will be striped using 2 asian prints separated by Kona black. This time I bought the right length of fabric so I can cut LOF.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 AM

I like the look of a pieced back. But I've also used sheets and wide fabric. The quilt usually tells me what I need to do.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:28 PM

I use flat sheets, muslin or whatever I have on hand. All of my quilts are for family or friends and at the cost of material these days I can't afford yardage. If I were making show quilts, different story. However, I never plan to make a show quilt. I quilt for my own enjoyment and in the "winter" of my life I do as I please....LOL
Old 09-21-2011, 12:47 PM

I usually buy wide back fabric that blends in with the quilt I'm making. I piece the back once in awhile. I have also used pieces to make it both sided quilt. I use fleece on many lap quilts with no batting.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:33 PM

I use muslin for my scrappy, traditional block quilts. I use a solid or print that I have used in the top in other quilts.