Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Use For A Cutting Table? >

What Do You Use For A Cutting Table?

What Do You Use For A Cutting Table?

Old 12-16-2019, 07:37 PM

No special table here, just my dining room table. It's 48 wide, and I have 2 12 inch leafs I can use if necessary.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:37 PM

I have the breakfast room table from our other house that was too large for this breakfast room, with bed risers under it for my cutting table. It has 3 leaves so I can make it large if I want. You can probably pick one up at a garage sale for $20.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by betthequilter View Post
I have my mother's wooden kitchen table in my sewing room. I have a large cutting mat on it. Obviously, it is quite sturdy and I can store "stuff" under the table. Always need room for "stuff".
Yep, I have my Nana's old kitchen table that Grandad built! Just the right height for shorty me! Love that it has the cut our for where she screwed her bread making bucket to it and I helped her and helped grandaddy with many projects on it, too!
Old 12-17-2019, 02:48 AM

I have the Sullivans Home Hobby Table from Joann's. It is currently on sale for a really good price. I used it as it is for many years and had it against a wall. Realized I never walked around it and never moved it to the middle of the room, so I bought cabinets that fit under it (35"high), removed the legs, and just laid it on top of the cabinets. Perfect height, large work surface 59 inches long, and holds a Joann's large cutting mat 58 x32. and 8 drawers of storage space underneath. For me Perfection!

Old 12-17-2019, 03:31 AM

I use the island in my kitchen and a very large cutting mat that fits perfectly in the space. It becomes my cutting "table" when needed. Because it is in the middle of my kitchen working space, I have to keep the space neat and orderly. Ok, I can leave the mat but not the scraps of fabric and rotary cutter. Right height for me. I use my 8' folding table for small cutting near my machine.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:56 AM

I have one of the craft tables like JoAnn's sells. It does fold down on 2 sides but leaves about a 12" center section that is stationary. My sewing room also does double duty as a guest room - although we've not had guests stay in years, lol. But there is a futon in there along with other BR-type furniture along with my sewing machine in cabinet.

Once upon a time I could clean up my sewing room to the point where I could fold up the table and put it behind the futon when needed. Currently I have too much 'stuff' under the table that I can't find permanent homes for yet. And I've done a major clean up / purge recently. Sigh.

That table is a reasonable height for me. At 5' 2" it's a tad tall for me but doable. Much more so than kitchen counter height. That was always my thought but typing this out now, the counter height is definitely not for me. Made abundantly clear to me yesterday after baking 30 dozen cookies!

Definitely shop the thrift shops and CL. Some great deals can be had that way if 'pretty' is not that important.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:05 AM

I purchased a Husky adjustable workbench from Home Depot a couple of years ago...it has locking casters if I need to move it around. Best of all, I got it at 50% off. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62...DB12/301810799
Old 12-17-2019, 04:12 AM

[h=1]I use a dinette table that I found on Amazon. Much cheaper than any "desks" that I found.

Signature Design By Ashley - Kimonte Rectangular Dining Room Table - Contemporary Style - Black[/h][TABLE="class: a-lineitem, width: 717"]
[TR]
[TD="class: a-color-secondary a-size-base a-text-right a-nowrap, align: right"]Price:[/TD]
[TD="class: a-span12"]$69.99 Prime FREE Delivery

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
https://www.amazon.com/Ashley-Furnit...6584219&sr=8-5
Old 12-17-2019, 04:32 AM

I bought a small farm table 30 x 42 inches (white legs oak top) and put it on bed risers for the correct height, My 36" cutting mat fits on top with a few inches to spare. While not terribly large, it's super sturdy and just the right size so that I can't pile a multitude of fabric on top of it, just what I'm cutting and then I put any left over fabric away. Never really looks messy.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:37 AM

Mine is built in as a regular counter top in my sewing room the way I designed it 22 years ago. I only on occasion wish it were wider so I could use my larger cutting mat more frequently. 90% of the time it is just perfect. The biggest problem is keep it cleared so I can use it. I would recommend you stay away from a stand alone table. You could run into a number of problems because of the instability of the table.