Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Use For A Cutting Table? >

What Do You Use For A Cutting Table?

What Do You Use For A Cutting Table?

Old 12-17-2019, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by SHELTIE'SMAMA View Post
I too use the top of my chest freezer. Put a brick under each corner to make it counter height.
Small apartment and everything needs to do double duty. Works for me.
This is a great idea. If you have the room, even a non-working chest freezer would work and it would provide great storage as well for that big roll of batting or baskets filled with precuts.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:45 AM

I love the Nordan Gateleg table from Ikea. I have the birchwood but it comes in white. Here is the link so you can see it.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/norden-...irch-90423887/

This is a great table for if you need to save space. The 2 side leaves fold down. I put castor wheels from habor freight on the legs to make it higher and also portable to roll around the room. The drawers hold my notions.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:13 PM

My cutting table is an old office desk. My husband nailed two-by-fours the the top of the desk and nailed a sheet of plywood to the two-by-fours. On top he glued one of those large white cutting mats purchased at Joann's. It covers the entire top. The two-by-fours are spaced to allow me to store my cutting rulers, my round cutting mat, and a cookie sheet holding rotary cutters, markers, etc between the original desktop, and the raised top.[ATTACH=CONFIG]621069[/ATTACH]. I also hang rulers from the sides and the back. There's a motion activated light on the overhang at the back of the desk to enable me to see rulers and supplies hanging there. The top is flush with the front of the desk to allow me to use the existing drawers.
Attached Thumbnails 2019-05-19_17-20-24_076.jpg  

Last edited by janjanq; 12-18-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

What fun to read what you all use for cutting tables!

I have a 24 x 48 kitchen cabinet with a wood top..a good height for me, but I always seem to have things on it...trying to break myself of the habit of putting "stuff" on it. I also have a small dining room table in the family room just off the sewing room for larger cutting. This table makes a great place for multiple sewers to sit and sew at. (I had a grand time with 4 Grands sewing at once this past summer.)
Old 12-18-2019, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
My cutting table is an old office desk. My husband nailed two-by-fours the the top of the desk and nailed a sheet of plywood to the two-by-fours. On top he glued one of those large white cutting mats purchased at Joann's. It covers the entire top. The two-by-fours are spaced to allow me to store my cutting rulers, my round cutting mat, and a cookie sheet holding rotary cutters, markers, etc between the original desktop, and the raised top.[ATTACH=CONFIG]621069[/ATTACH]. I also hang rulers from the sides and the back. There's a motion activated light on the overhang at the back of the desk to enable me to see rulers and supplies hanging there. The top is flush with the front of the desk to allow me to use the existing drawers.
Oh I like this...I have a similar desk that can be modified. Thanks for the photo!
Old 12-19-2019, 04:09 AM

Lookin' good!! Mine is a maple dresser that once was my daughter's. Got a big board cut to my measurements at Home Depot. Covered it with the wood looking contact paper. Have cutting mat on left & a pressing board on right.. Very handy. Just right for my heighth. Did the same for my NV2800D embroidery machine. It rests on top of my MamMam's Singer treadle machine base... Will try to post pics....
Old 12-19-2019, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
If you are thinking portable or storable, think about the heavier ones that the legs fold under and not the tables than fold in the middle. You can get pretty sturdy ones fairly cheap at places like Costco and Sam's Club. If room is the problem, when my kids were small and space was tight, I used my bed - BUT - I had 2 pieces of inexpensive wall paneling cut down to 5' (Home Depot will cut them). I stored them flat under the bed and lifted them out when needed. At first I had one of those cardboard cutting boards I would put on top of them. Years later I had my big rotary cutting mat to use. My bed was a bit higher so it was at a good height and I could easily walk around it. Also, a super advantage was that it was my room, so I could walk out, shut the door and not worry about it. Currently I have a heavy piece of plywood that I have painted and sealed laying across the top of 2 shorter filing cabinets. It is perfect height, a chair slides right thru center area, I keep lots of supplies handy in the cabinets and it is easy to take apart when I move!
i have one of those as does the local quilt ship where we have sit and sew. We have discovered those table aren’t exactly sturdy in that they “bow” in the middle. We all kept thinking our blades were bad. At home I put a remnant cabinet side from IKEA over the table and under my mat. Problem
solved. It could be any very firm board.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:45 AM

I got this table at Lowe's . https://www.lowes.com/pd/Monarch-Spe...ble/1000761474 It takes 2 to put it together but it is very sturdy and it's tall enough that I can store my plastic rolling carts under it also.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-19-2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-19-2019, 11:52 AM

I recently bought this from home depot and love it. It has locking wheels and 2 drawers that come in handy.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:31 PM

If you want to be able to be seated next to your machine while you cut, you could do what I did and that's use a folding TV tray. It's big enough for a 12 x 18 in. cutting mat, plus when I'm not cutting, I just throw a piece of fabric over it and I have an instant ironing surface.

If I'm cutting anything bigger than that, I'm using my dining room table, I just do my best to cut as fast as I can so it's not covered in fabric for an extended period of time.