Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you use ? >

What do you use ?

What do you use ?

Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 AM

Well, this is interesting information to me as well.
I have been writing a stash type program for Windows since January, and wondering several things about moving it to Android and iOS (Apple) and you ladies are answering most of it for me.

By the way, Acronyms came along long before the Internet. They're a military "invention" if memory serves. They were to prevent the enemy from figuring out intercepted communications. Much like ciphers. I think nowadays, it's part laziness, part habit, part frustration with touch devices, and for some people part "Baffle them with BS"

I'm in the dreaded "IT" as well, but I try really hard not to abbreviate things when I'm not speaking to my fellow geeks. To the point where many people would never guess I speak geek.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:38 AM

I use EQ7 as well. It is pretty good, but not as intuitive as I would expect from an application that has been through several releases. Nonetheless, once I figured out how to use it, it's become a useful tool.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:17 PM

I use Block fab, Quilt calc and Quiltography. I have used Quiltography the most recently. I am making a quilt for my grandson, graduating from high school and could show him pics with my fabric. I wanted his color likes and patterns. He has chosen Storm at Sea in red and yellow. I wasn't to surprised at the pattern. He liked the optical illusion. But I sure am glad I asked about the colors. I never expected red and yellow.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:22 PM

Welcome to the Board!

On my iPad, I have Block fab, an app for finding quilt stores and QuiltCalc. I use QuiltCalc several times a week. The other two, I use occasionally. I also have apps for Keepsake Quilting, JoAnn's, etc. which I seldom use.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:52 PM

Both Quiltref and QuiltFab are very handy apps. Both are available in the App Store for IPad and IPhone - both are free.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 PM

I have used only software...QuiltPro and some art programs to print on fabric....if I had a phone that used apps, I would try to find some to use. One of the best things I have done with the computer is being a member of the Quilting Board....I have learned so much from so many people on this board!!!

Good luck on your project!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 04:27 AM

This is a wonderful site using IT but acts more on a personal level. We help each other with love and appreciation of all levels of expertise in quilting.
Not sure about apps . I have found it difficult to download some information on or from these due to using a. iPad.
You have reduced information from Crafsty on their videos due to iPad.
Welcome to the board and enjoy.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by ghagen View Post
Hi There I am a retired educational director and I am researching the use of IT in quilting. Would anyone be willing to tell me if they have downloaded APS to help them with a project and if they have, did they use an IPAD? I would be most grateful to hear from you. Many thanks
I have two apps downloaded - BlockFab - HD and Quiltcalc. Found both by searching the App Store for quilting. Welcome to the board!
Old 08-31-2013, 05:15 AM

Well I'd say many members of this group access this board through their Ipads, I'd say that counts.
I personally don't own a laptop but can say that being a new quilter (6) years and don't belong to a conventional local quilting group and not knowing any quilters in my own communtiy have relied heavily on the computer (which is also an IT provider) has literally taught me to sew, through groups such as this to ask questions and gain knowledge from others. Also streaming video has been SO VERY useful. Quilters and Computers are a perfect match.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:09 PM

I don't know about the rest of you but I am beginning to feel like a real 1950's quilter. It was great to find out what IT and app's means. And yes, I do use IT a lot but in my world I just said that I went to the computer to find out the answer to my question or to find a new pattern.