Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What does this mean?

What does this mean?

Hi Guys,

I have just seen a quilt in the pictures section that has been "faced" rather than having a binding!

What is this? What does it mean? How is it done?

Over to all you quilt geniuses out there!!!!!!!

Hugs

Caroline
    Caroline

I wondered that,too. I thought maybe it was another term for what some people call birthing, where you sew the backing on and then turn the quilt inside out. I should Google it, I guess.

Caroline, I just did a quick look and found that it certainly not the same as birthing a quilt. The article I found was quite long so I can't really describe it here. Briefly, looked like a narrow strip turned to the back of the quilt. Hopefully someone will give more detail or do you have access to Google search?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
    I wondered that,too. I thought maybe it was another term for what some people call birthing, where you sew the backing on and then turn the quilt inside out. I should Google it, I guess.
    I may be wrong, but when you are making clothing, you sew a "facing around a neck or armhole. Right sides together, then turn the facing over to the wrong side and stitch down. I did this with several quilts that I preferred not having a binding show. For the quilt, I did a folded band, placed raw edge to raw edge, stitched and turned, then hand stitched the band. The facing doesn't show at all from the front.

Blog Entries
    she did the same pattern that I had done... the pattern calls for 'birthing'... i think she was using the term facing for the same method. i've also seen it called the envelope method
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I too wondered what it meant then thought pillow case or birthing method.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    No, I think facing is different. I've seen it done on small wall hangings where a regular binding is just too much. The quilt is quilted normally with a backing. Then you attach a facing around 4 sides, much like with clothing, only you can make it a little wider than an armhole or neckline facing.
    Cathy

Sheena

Watched the tutorial. What she doesn't do is understitch the facing (from years of clothing construction). It makes it easier to roll to the back. Trim your seams to varying widths (1/4"-quilt seam & 1/8"-facing seam). Press seams toward facing. Stitch thru all thicknesses on the facing as close to the seam as possible (1/8"). Then follow the rest of her instructions.
    "Proud Parent of an American Airman in Red Horse Squadron"
    "Proud Grandparent of an American Air Force SERE"

Cutting and sewing facings were the parts I disliked the most about sewing clothes. I doubt I'd like it any better in quilting. LOL.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I looked again at the picture that prompted this thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t265153.html
    I can see now how facing is the same as is done in clothing construction.
    When I did mine http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t262257.html i used the birthing method.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Cutting and sewing facings were the parts I disliked the most about sewing clothes. I doubt I'd like it any better in quilting. LOL.
    Ditto for me. I don't sew clothes anymore. Quilting is MUCH more fun !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Bookmarking this. Love the finished look.

QUOTE=rebeljane;7195890]http://thesillyboodilly.blogspot.com...y-to-face.html[/QUOTE]

This exactly the tutorial I used for the facing in my Beyond Horizons quilt. There were others out there but I found this one to be the best as far as detailed explanations and pictures. Simple to follow. Not birthing; this was a piece of fabric separate from both the top and back. Ideally, I would have used the same fabric as my backing, but did not have enough so I found something close in color.

I learn something new everyday. Thank you

Facing is not "birthing" a quilt and isn't any harder to do than binding. Here is a link with Marcie Baker showing how to face a quilt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwPe_84GBfY It is even simpler to do with a straight edge.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-16-2015 at 01:47 AM. Reason: remove "shouting" CAPS
    June

I want to learn to do facing as I start to try some small "art" quilts. There are times you might not want that actual binding edge around the quilt and just want a clean finish. I think I'd still use binding for any bed quilt or throw that will be used and washed much, but for quilt that is more for "show" I'm going to try a facing and see how it goes.

Thanks for some clarification. I think binding and birthing is going to be my style.

I thought it meant to use a process to make a thinner "lining" for the binding rather than fold it several times. If I were going to do a "facing," I would do it wider, attach it to the front and then turn to the back. Make a tiny fold under on the edge and then hand-stitch to the backing. Your stitches would not show on the front.

Here is a link that explains facing a quilt with a tutorial and illustrations.
    http://www.terryaskeartquilts.com/St...ing-technique/

Great idea....interesting how processes can be intertwined......from dressmaking to quilt making......and each technique has a special purpose

I have seen facing used in quilts that did not have straight sides. One of them was a
    grandmother's Flower Garden and the other a Double Wedding Ring.

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vera39760 View Post
    I have seen facing used in quilts that did not have straight sides. One of them was a
    grandmother's Flower Garden and the other a Double Wedding Ring.
    i can understand doing a facing on those types -- without a straight border -- but i'm not convinced about quilts with a straight border...looks like it uses more fabric for one thing...
    "variety is the spice of life"