Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What does this phrase mean

Quote Originally Posted by kriscraft99
    I love the Hancock Fabrics in Anderson, SC. Their wall of absolute cotton is amazing! hmmm.. not sure what she meant by that phase - maybe she means she tries but doesn't consider herself good enough to refer to herself as a quilter?
    I agree. That is how the phrase is used in Oklahoma & central Texas.

Quilt at means, I quilt but I don't consider myself an expert. I grew up with this term and that's what it meant in South West Georgia.

I love the Hancock Fabrics in Anderson, SC. Their wall of absolute cotton is amazing! hmmm.. not sure what she meant by that phase - maybe she means she tries but doesn't consider herself good enough to refer to herself as a quilter?
    That's what I think she meant, too. Like, she works AT it but is not really "there" yet.

Yes, usually it means that you can get through some processes, but you have little or no formal training and haven't mastered the craft just yet. You attempt the task, but not by using the best methods & techniques nor with consistent results.

I think she was saying that she is trying to learn to quilt but is not comfortable with how her work looks at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingfan
    I met a very nice lady at Hancock fabrics today, when I asked her if she quilted she said " no, but I quilt at". What does that meen? I have been confused ever since, and I can't stop wondering what she means by this.
    By the way I was very disappointed in Hancock fabric by 1604 and 35 in SAn Antonio. They had very limited selection of fabric unless you wanted fleece and then there was a lot. At least I have a lot of places to buy fabric from around here.
    I think she means that she attempts but does not feel accomplished. Like instead of doing something perfectly, one 'works at' it.

Quote Originally Posted by dphelps
    Maybe she tries AT quilting but as mentioned before, maybe she is not very confident in her abilities.
    I think Donna has the right answer here.

Blog Entries
    That's what I would take it that she meant.

Blog Entries
    I think she means she quilts but she doesn't think she quilts very well.

Banned
    why didn't you ask her?

I live in Anderson about a mile from the Liberty Hwy Wal-Mart. Shop at Hancock and Hobby Lobby. Sure wish our quilting store hadn't closed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3