Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does this phrase mean >

What does this phrase mean

What does this phrase mean

Old 10-22-2011, 03:31 AM

To me, it means she wants to turn out those beautiful original design masterpieces, but has not mastered the skills necessary to do what she sees in her mind as the best one ever. That being said, she pieces and maybe even quilts as much as possible. I understand that statement all too well.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
I met a very nice lady at Hancock fabrics today, when I asked her if she quilted she said " no, but I quilt at". What does that meen? I have been confused ever since, and I can't stop wondering what she means by this.
By the way I was very disappointed in Hancock fabric by 1604 and 35 in SAn Antonio. They had very limited selection of fabric unless you wanted fleece and then there was a lot. At least I have a lot of places to buy fabric from around here.
I think she abreavated meaning she quilts all the time
Old 10-22-2011, 03:45 AM

I know when I take photos, I am trying to take good photos> I would say I try "At Photography" not saying that I am a photographer. I think I could say the same for my quilting come to think of it.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:59 AM

I met a very nice lady at Hancock fabrics today, when I asked her if she quilted she said " no, but I quilt at". What does that meen? I have been confused ever since, and I can't stop wondering what she means by this.
By the way I was very disappointed in Hancock fabric by 1604 and 35 in SAn Antonio. They had very limited selection of fabric unless you wanted fleece and then there was a lot. At least I have a lot of places to buy fabric from around here.
IT MEANS SHE TRIES BUT IS NOT VERY GOOD AT IT.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:05 AM

Our Hancock is the same way...Tons of fleece, year-round, fabric that would only be appropriate for a belly dancer costume. Their cotton, while a reasonable selection, has routinely disappointed me in quality. I only shop for sale patterns or notions, and then half the time they are out of what I want...And I go back there why??? I shop online...
Old 10-22-2011, 04:36 AM

I suspect that what she means is that her quilting is not 'perfect' I use a similar expression when asked if I play the piano; my response is usually, "no, I play with the piano." Both my mom and my daughter really play the piano, I just noodle around with it.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:42 AM

My intrepretation is that she feels she's not very good at quilting. Which I doubt.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:43 AM

I have heard phrases similar to that before. You asked her if she was a quilter and she said no, she quilts 'at it'. She was being very modest...she does not consider herself a quilter for whatever reason...maybe she does not feel she does a good job at it, maybe she does not spend that much time at it, maybe she is just learning, maybe she is implying that she does not put herself in the league of you women who are so very talented.

I have used that phrase before...for instance...when I know I don't do a good job at something or I am just kind of trying things out.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hattie Frances
Okay, here's your answer, I quilt at, I sew at, I cross stitch at. I always start something, but never finish it. Just like Kyra is the "Closer", I am the "Starter" as a matter of fact that's what I'm known as in my office. I have it all, you name it, I bought it. I am still buying but never finishing it. The only thing I finshed was a quilt I started for my grandson and that was a year ago and if he had not bugged me until if felt like beating him to death, I would not have finished it. I am glad his sister is only 10 months and can't talk, maybe I will finish hers before she is aware that I started it. My count is about 6 different quilts in different stages and no finish in sight. Oh and my daughter asked me to please stop spending her inheritance on fabric. Says she going to have the biggest garage sale in history when I'm gone.
Been there, done that.

I've got a baby quilt in the works for a little lady born Sept. 25 which I'm now calling her Christmas present. Another baby girl on the way is supposed to be born in Jan. ----------so all's good. I've got the pieces cut and I've got time. THEN I GOT THE INVITE TO HER SHOWER--in two weeks. I'm chairing a dinner at church and can't get out of that anyway, so I have to miss the shower. I'm trying to decide if I want to hold out until Jan. for the quilt.

And then at least two for my own new granddaughter. Which will be Christmas, too.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:56 AM

It means having to many projects going at the same time but never finishing any of them.