Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does your Family say about your quilting when you aren't around? >

What does your Family say about your quilting when you aren't around?

What does your Family say about your quilting when you aren't around?

Old 04-30-2011, 10:56 PM

Usually as soon as a family member sees a project I am working on they want it and have in the past gotten a bit cross because I won't give it up so I guess thats a good sign!!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:48 AM

Well, one son can't stop talking about his Harley-Davidson quilt and wants to send it a picture of it to an H-D dealership.....and told me that he would make all the arrangements if I wanted to sell them...told him "forget that" in no uncertain terms !!!!
One of those was enough.

One daughter keeps asking for gifts for friends and for fund-raisers, so she must like what she has sees....

and the other daughter has decided that she is going to follow in my footsteps and is beginning now to start a stash for when she retires !!!!!

the other son is a quiet one but definitely displays his "Vegas" quilt on the table before his sidekicks arrive for an evening of cards.

Hubby talks a good talk also...so I guess they approve of my long hours in my hideaway.......
Old 05-01-2011, 02:51 AM

My DH says he praises the Lord, because he looks around the house and sees beautiful things, and it is productive time, he also has his very warm favorite quilt!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:54 AM

My ladies' club also always say when we are choosing names for Christmas gifts that they are hoping that I get their name..and that really makes one feel so good.......

I am lucky !!!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:58 AM

"We have to fix our own dinner AGAIN!"

"Wish she'd finish one of the quilts she started"

"I'm a quilting widower"

"How in the world am I going to pay off this latest fabric purchase??"

"Glad my wife is happier these days cause she's quilting again"
Old 05-01-2011, 03:08 AM

I always say my stash is like my retirement fund... I am spending now for when I will have less money and more time to quilt!

I did have one sticky moment with the DH... he remarked in the negative as to how much money I was spending... My money I told him and oh yeah when was the last time we had to buy a birthday or Christmas present for one of the family... they had all gotten quilts or other items I had made. With materials I had bought and therefore paid for.

Bless him, the next time we went to a party where we were taking a present (wine glass charms - I also teach and make jewellery) he asked me how much the materials cost and transferred half the cost to my personal account.

DH has great ideas, some completely off the wall but every now and then he comes up with a good one.

The rest of the family ( ladies) are all sewers of some sort. Mum knits, crochets does cross stitch and dressmakes but has only made one quilt. Auntie is fantastic at embroidery and is doing an epic crazy quilt. MIL makes lace.

I Like making bags and at one point churned out nearly 100 back packs.

I have made a lot of quilts and wall hangings for charity I have even had them appear on TV in A sci fi show! I was known as "the one who makes the quilts"

Now I am very fortunate to have found a way to make part of my living by teaching people how to quilt. At first I taught dressmaking which I was taught by my mum, but these days I only really make special costumes and evening gowns - I had a "Victorian period" which involved corsetry and boning and authentic patterns. I have some lovely dresses which I can switch up to look Victorian or more modern.

I make a lot of stuff with fabric. Bags, book covers, all sorts. DH knew what he was getting into when we got married. My first "house" purchase was a sewing machine!!!!

Becks
edited for spelling - sorry dyslexic
Old 05-01-2011, 03:14 AM

I alternate making quilts for DD and DS. I'm always hearing "Is it my turn yet"? So I think they approve. Although my son thinks I've gone overboard in acquiring vintage machines...14 at last count. On the other hand, he funds a retreat once a year when I find one that interests me and also picks up the machines that don't fit in my car....those in cabinets and the treadle. My daughter goes to yard sales with me whenever she visits from New Orleans and gets just as excited as I do when we find 100% cotton or other quilting related items. She's a late bloomer when it comes to quilting but she's coming along nicely :lol: . Good Kids :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-01-2011, 03:17 AM

I come from a family of professional artists, designers and theatrical costume makers, so it is not commented on except to make suggestions, critiques etc. A very old "friend" (?) told everyone that I had a 'dirty' house so I suppose the comments vary depending on how 'anal' the commentator is. I did over - hear a conversation between my nephew and his mate. My nephew was stating that he thought my stuff was 'pretty funky for an old bird'...LOL
Old 05-01-2011, 03:21 AM

My family can't stand the little treads on the floor when I sew. And hate the time I spend on quilting. But I stand my ground and find the time.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:34 AM

I have made quilts for each of my children and their children, my sister and her grandchildren, and some very close friends new grandbabies. Neither of my sister in laws or brother in laws have asked me to make them a quilt. I don't think they would appreciate the work and time that goes into one so I won't be making them anything..I don't know what they say behind my back.