Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is an economical method to make fusible applique >

What is an economical method to make fusible applique

What is an economical method to make fusible applique

Old 12-18-2018, 04:18 AM

Default What is an economical method to make fusible applique

I love steam a seam 2 lite for my applique quilts. When Joann's has sales, I'll stock up on it or use my coupons. But recently some one gave me a huge bag of critters and cuties from cutting on her accuquilt go. She was playing with her new dies. And if I use the fusibles, it's going to get expensive.

I remember somewhere I saw someone make a type of fusible with parchment paper and fusible web, I do have a couple yards of wonderunder web in my stash.

I did try using elmers glue, and it will work. I'll need to practice some.
Attached Thumbnails wp_20181215_002.jpg  
Old 12-18-2018, 04:37 AM

Wonderful little kitty blocks! I'm sure you'll figure out a great way to build this project! I would just border each with maybe black and combine them, or maybe combine with a black sashing... ??
Old 12-18-2018, 04:58 AM

Usually I press the steam a seam to the fabric before it goes to the cutter, then the cut shape is ready to go. It would be very fussy to try to get them on the SAS now so I would go with your elmers glue idea.
They are really nice kitties and will make a really cozy quilt.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:19 AM

I would still go with Steam a seam and coupons. I haven't found anything else that makes fusibles like a sticker. It may be just my imagination but I think it helps keep down fraying also.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:20 AM

I posted the wrong photo, the kitty blocks are using sas lite. The train set is what I used elmers glue. It's a little more obvious it's raw edge applique.

It will be fussy to use any method on these precut pieces.

I have the sunbonnets, train, and house dies that I haven't much with because I tend to go to extremes when I make blocks. Fortunately I sew with a pretty large group and I'm able to share blocks with them. We make quilts for 2 may groups- 'quilts of valor' and 'quilts for kids'

I got addicted to crumb blocks a few years ago. The group performed an intervention when they caught me at the trash can pulling out crumbs people had thrown away. And I had brought in over 300 crumb blocks. "We have fabric, you don't need to use the tiny pieces. Look, we'll give you all this yardage. Please stop with the crumb blocks"
Attached Thumbnails wp_20181216_001.jpg   wp_20181216_002.jpg  
Old 12-18-2018, 06:01 AM

Back before Steam a Seam (I want to say in the 80s) there was a product called Stitch Witchery. It had no paper backing - just the web. I do not remember if we used freezer paper or waxpaper (did not have applique sheets back then). I expect something like that might be less expensive since it lacks the convenience of the paper.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:49 AM

I don't know how often Joann's does the 70% off coupon or the sale, but I bought my last bolt of Wonder Under when they had all Pellon products for 70% off. That is $9 for 10 yd of fusible web, which was quite the bargain in my book. I've used it so often for raw edge applique and really enjoyed it. Quick search just showed Walmart has a 20yd bolt for $13 which is an even better deal!
Old 12-18-2018, 03:06 PM

The pieces are already cut so no need to add fusible now. Place on the block and stitch down. You can use a dab of school glue or a glue stick to hold in place first. If you have a copier, put the fabric shapes on the copier and shrink it down some. Cut out the shape and trace onto the fusible.

Have you seen the product called misty fuse? It is lightweight and you can re-position the piece until the final iron down. I'm not sure how the cost compares though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecCPAjSJM78
Old 12-18-2018, 03:15 PM

Mistyfuse is the only fusible I use anymore. It may be a bit more expensive, I’m not sure, but TOTALLY worth it. No gumming up the needle, and you don’t even know it’s on the fabric, it’s so thin and soft. A little goes a long way.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:23 PM

As they are already cut out without a fusible, why don't you use 505 spray on the back of one and place it where you want it and stitch it down. You might want to do some detail stitching in it to help hold it in place but that would work.