Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is a fair price of fabric? >
  • What is a fair price of fabric?

• What is a fair price of fabric?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:00 AM

The patterns I am wanting, Fabric.com does not have. I found all of them at Missouri Quilting Company though. Grand total is $85, give or take some.
    Old 01-09-2012, 07:16 AM

A local quilt shop just went out of business - they started out at 30% off - then 40% off and then 50% off. I bought some fabric at every discount. The last time that I went (50% off) I heard the owner tell a relative that he was now at COST. So, if the fabric is $10 a yard - that means that it cost them $5 a yard. A $5 a yard profit seems excessive to me.
    Old 01-09-2012, 07:33 AM

Default Fabric Discounts

Go to retailmenot.com and enter in whatever site you want to find a discount for. The codes will come up along wth your chance of success using them. Fabric.com is there. Have fun!
    Old 01-09-2012, 09:01 AM

I personally did not like the fabric at Hobby Lobby but whatever suits your fancy is what you go with. Make sure the fabrics you buy does not have an odor and is of good quality if you buy from a fabric store.
    Old 01-09-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    did you notice the width of the fabric? my lqs carries wide goods (108"-118") which range from $13.95 up to $18.95 a yard---which is reasonable-since you only need 3- 3 1/2 yds to back a quilt- could be the (shocking) price was on a wide fabric.
    in the lqs's around here fabrics range from $7.95 on up to about $12.95- depending on the fabric-
    you could join the (fabshophop) and visit over a hundred on line shops and find a vast range of prices-and selections. it pays to shop around- i spend about 1/2 of my quilting $$ at my lqs and the other 1/2 on line shopping....out of the on-line percentage- 85-90% is spent at fabric.com the other 10-15% is spent at random shops.
    Connecting Threads sells fabric for between $4 and $6 per yard and it is first quality cotton. They design their own fabric lines (with kits and precuts for each line) so all the middle-man add-ins are nonexistent. They have stupendous customer service - I have been an online/mail order customer of their for over 13 years.
    Old 01-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Default 50% markup is about average

Originally Posted by NikkiLu
    A local quilt shop just went out of business - they started out at 30% off - then 40% off and then 50% off. I bought some fabric at every discount. The last time that I went (50% off) I heard the owner tell a relative that he was now at COST. So, if the fabric is $10 a yard - that means that it cost them $5 a yard. A $5 a yard profit seems excessive to me.
    $5/yard profit is not excessive. Remember - there are other expenses involved in running a quilt store than just the cost of the fabric. Many retail places double the wholesale cost to get the selling price.
    Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 PM

I have purchased some fabric from connectingthreads.com recently and love it. Very good quality and inexpensive...between $4.96-$6.96 a yard. I also shop at my local joanns & hobby lobby. If i can't find what I want I head to my lqs.
    Old 01-09-2012, 02:02 PM

I agree. Connecting threads fabrics & threads r very good quality at very good prices.
    Old 01-09-2012, 02:45 PM

You can find some good fabric online at any number of online sites at reasonable prices. I like fabric depot, fabric.com, Connecting Threads and even Hancock Fabrics. I've gotten good fabric at reasonable prices. If you shop Connecting Threads don't ignore their clearance, i've gotten some nice fabric through there.
    Old 01-09-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu

That's not the actual profit though. From that $5 bucks a yard subtract building rent, heating and cooling, phone, multiple taxes, insurance, advertising, internet access, web site hosting, employee wages if you have any, etc, etc. After you subtract all your expenses then you find out what your actual profit or loss is.

One of my friends had a quilt store. Her first year income was about $70,000.00. She lost $1200.00. And she did not take a dime in wages nor did she have outside employees.