Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the fascination in antique Singer sewing machines? >

What is the fascination in antique Singer sewing machines?

What is the fascination in antique Singer sewing machines?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:47 AM

Ok, a side note before I start: there is no flack to be caught for asking, if you don't know and don't ask then you won't find out! There are those of us (as you're probably noticing) that absolutely love these machines, but that's our preference.... in general we don't expect it out of everyone.

As for the machines. I have over 10 vintage machines as well as a pair of newer ones. My new electric machines are all well and good, but they have their downsides. For one, my newest singer HATES cotton thread, with a passion I've never seen in an intimate object before. It will jam the bobbin, break the needle, etc, etc, etc. This is after it's been taken to be serviced 3 times for some whopping fees. The treadles and older electric machines are beautiful, they decided when they made them that ascetics were important, I'm not sure why they stopped that? They where made for an era where they'd cost as much as a car does now and made to last. Which means people took care of them (it always makes me sad to see the ones that took up residence outdoors in the last few years and are now rusted solid). They can sew through anything, though it wasn't necessarily what they were made for. My model 27 has done 4 layers of leather to repair my farrier's chaps. I've picked up all my vintage machines for under $40, which means even if they didn't work, it was a steal. I have one that cost me $.99! Parts are comparatively inexpensive, a treadle belt is under $10, I've purchased a bobbin case for $3, I purchased a bobbin winder for $5! If something does break on one of these machines, which is a rarity, A/ I can fix it myself and B/ it is generally self explanatory as to how to install it. The manuals are mostly free if you do a bit of web searching. I can do most the things I can do on my new singer (when it decides to work) by using attachments on my older machines. As expensive as attachments can be, if you look hard enough or in the right place you can get them for less than the cost of a 1/4" presser foot for the newer machines. I also just plain enjoy the accomplishment of taking a machine that was well built and doesn't work because of someone's negligence and taking it back to the functionality of when it was built. They have a perfect straight stitch and a lot of common sense was used in their construction (ex. a seam guide that actually guides your fabric and is adjustable with the twist of a screw). I also learned to sew on one of the treadles I own (it was my great grandmother's... manufactured 1908), so there was no learning curve on that one! But the learning curve on the other models isn't steep, and the manuals are fairly clear. Beyond that it makes my unborn son settle down, I guess he likes the motion, but I take it as a blessing!

Ok..... steps off soap box. I hope that helped a bit.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:49 AM

I love mine because they sew a beautiful seam, they just purr along, are much better built and last forever with proper care. If not there would not be so many around. I have several newer machines and they are noisy, don't sew as well, have more issues. I gave away a Viking Sapphire to my sister cause I hated it. I will stick with my 401 ( which has a large variety of stitches). Besides, they are just so darn cute, I love them. Newer is not always better.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:53 AM

History! I love antiques, love the history behind them and wish they could tell me their life stories.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:06 AM

Old sewing machines for some women are the same as vintage cars are for some men. Yes some people like new and that is ok. But these lovely old machines are part of our sewing history...I would never part with my mothers featherweight. It is an heirloom, history and just plain cute !!!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by apiarist
With modern machines providing almost perfect tension, a vast array of stitches and reliability second to none - why do so many of you crave these older machines? I do have an old Singer treadle, but I have great difficulty sewing on it and it is only used as an ornament in the corner.
Sorry, but I must take exception to your comment that modern machines' reliability is second to none. How many of these "modern" machines will work like new when they are 90 years old? Antique machines were built to last a lifetime. Modern machines are lucky to outlast the warranty.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:33 AM

The average life span of one of my sewing machines is probably about 5 years (granted I haven't spent big money on any of them). And the harp space unless you do spend big money is tiny. For less then 1/10th of the cost of a new machine with a nice open space for fmq I bought a Singer that has been sewing for 70 years and still works wonderfully! With a few drops of oil here and there it will probably still sew right along another hundred years. One day my daughter may use the machine I'm teaching her to sew on to teach her daughter to sew - and there aren't many modern anythings that you can say that about.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:34 AM

They are not noisy like the new ones and they have lasted all these years. Can you say the same about the new ones on the market today?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:03 AM

My featherweight is less finicky than my new machine which is an inexpensive 2 year old Brother. The brother bounces around on the table when I sew with any speed and the FW does not. I like the FW for piecing and the Brother for quilting. Someday I may invest a lot more in a true quilting machine but in the meantime, I can piece all day long with the FW and all it needs is a little oil. The brother is computerized so it's more sensitive to being bumped, etc. And the FW was my favorite Aunt's so it's got memories...
Old 06-14-2011, 08:11 AM

Every time I go to the fabric store there is at least one 'new' machine being worked on while the owner watches. Sentences like "That's as good as I can get it" and "It's okay that we have to a)replace the machine or b)replace the motherboard because the company will pay for it" are not okay with me. At those prices I expect more reliabilty than that. Give me my straight stitching 301 who FMQs beautifully or my reliable Elna Star SU from 1974 anytime. As far as my treadle and my 128, I think they're cute. The 1949 Necchi should rival the Elna for strength and reliability when she's cleaned up.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 AM

I have two "top-line" machines. However, when I have to do topstitching the only machine that will do the job perfectly, always, is my FW. The others are also noisy in comparison to the FW. I can sit with the family watching TV and sew on my FW. Can't do that with a new monstrosity. I can go out on the deck or patio and sew. I would have to hire someone to carry the Bernina or Janome out and bring it back. I can carry my FW and my complete project in one trip.
Sew many reasons the FW is just the best of the best.