Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the fascination in antique Singer sewing machines? >

What is the fascination in antique Singer sewing machines?

What is the fascination in antique Singer sewing machines?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by apiarist
With modern machines providing almost perfect tension, a vast array of stitches and reliability second to none - why do so many of you crave these older machines? I do have an old Singer treadle, but I have great difficulty sewing on it and it is only used as an ornament in the corner.
The Featherweight does really make a great stitch. I suppose some people restore old cars, and there are new ones that offer much more. Most people make quilts that look different too! We usually love them...even if we wouldn't make it! My dream machine collection would include a A treadle Singer, (I have 4) a Featherweight ( I have 3) the old style Bernina 830.....(not yet) and a Limited Edition 830 ..( not yet, but Im thinking about taking the one on my sales floor home!) and of course a Statler Stitcher 30"
Old 06-14-2011, 08:38 AM

I have a Bernina 730 and 165, both these machines sew to my complete satisfaction with the tension posing no problems whatsoever. Having read all your comments though I am thinking that maybe I should resurrect my old treadle machine and have another go. Thank you all for taking the trouble to tell me just what the fascination is with these machines.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:59 AM

Some people like antiques for their beauty alone. We admire the workmanship and history of a gorgeous old sideboard or vase, or whatever. The phrase "they just don't make it like that anymore" comes to mind. With sewing machines you get the best of both worlds. Beauty and function. I collect antique and vintage sewing machines and I love them all. I like that I can have something in my sewing room that looks decorative, but I can take it down or sit at it and sew something beautiful.

I do have some newer machines and I use those too. I have back ups for my backups.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Katia
Some people like antiques for their beauty alone. We admire the workmanship and history of a gorgeous old sideboard or vase, or whatever. The phrase "they just don't make it like that anymore" comes to mind. With sewing machines you get the best of both worlds. Beauty and function. I collect antique and vintage sewing machines and I love them all. I like that I can have something in my sewing room that looks decorative, but I can take it down or sit at it and sew something beautiful.

I do have some newer machines and I use those too. I have back ups for my backups.
I c an appreciate the concept of back ups for the backups.....
Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 AM

The old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholer" may be true for vintage machines too. I only have three and don't have any plans to collect more just to be collecting. I think my three machines are a part of history of something well made lasting a long long time. I can only hope that my descendences will take care of them and think they are special as I do. I don't use mine much for sewing for I enjoy my new machines for the extras they have such as automatic thread cutting. I also think it is nice that not all people aren't the same and wouldn't think of collectig vintage machines but I would guess hey have something else they like to collect and enjoy. Not everyone was meant to like the same things...it would make the world a boring place. Mary
Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 AM

You should take a look at the Vintage Sewing Machines Shop thread on here. There are well over 1,000 pages of people who love the vintage machines.

Stroll through and look at the beauty of these old machines. They were real pieces of wonderful craftsmanship and imagination. The fact that a machine made in 1909 still operates as well as the day it was made is just a wonder to me. A testament to the quality of the piece. Plus, they are really beautiful to look at...the decals and details of the machines are just wonderful.

I have several vintage and true "antique" machines now, and I treasure each one.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by apiarist
I have a Bernina 730 and 165, both these machines sew to my complete satisfaction with the tension posing no problems whatsoever. Having read all your comments though I am thinking that maybe I should resurrect my old treadle machine and have another go. Thank you all for taking the trouble to tell me just what the fascination is with these machines.
No problem! If you want to do it yourself the tutorials Billy (lostn51) made are great (can be found in the search bar). Also we're always willing to help in the vintage thread! :)

:twisted: ***and soon another convert joins the group*** :twisted:
Old 06-14-2011, 09:58 AM

My Mom recently gave me my Great Aunt's old singer sewing machine. It doesn't sew- I just like it for decoration and because it was my Aunt's. I don't think I could give up the functions of my new Pfaff 4.0. I just love that machine- I was helping my daughter learn to sew on my old Pfaff 935 Hobbymatic- and had forgotten that I had to lift the presser foot and lower the needle by hand etc- how annoying! I've become spoiled!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
You either love antiques or you don't. I could ask what the fascination is with Bow Tuck bags, or One Block Wonders. We don't all like the same thing...
Ditto. Different strokes for different folks, and God bless us every one as long as you don't try and take my Star Wars Pez dispensers away from me! :)

I've inherited my grandmother's treadle, and haven't the first clue how to refurbish it, but I cannot part with it. I am a sentimental fool and proud of it.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
1.They are a tank! Not like the plastic stuff today.
2.All heavy duty parts, my dh can repair anything on them for me unlike the new ones.
3.I like to think of all the women who had sewn on them and what they would of made. Kinda brings you closer to the machines and the history.
4.Not pricey like the new ones
5. Just plain fun!
I guess I don't even need any reasons, I just love them!
Ditto! And they sound so pretty the way they purr :-P