Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the fascination in antique Singer sewing machines? >

What is the fascination in antique Singer sewing machines?

What is the fascination in antique Singer sewing machines?

Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 AM

As I am getting older I like to see things old that are still working... LOL ... and many of the older machines follow the keep-it-simple rule ... also good for some of us.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:34 AM

I have a really nice collection of old Singers. I love the perfect straight stitch, and all the great decorative stitches (77 different ones) I can make with a box of cams. I love the way they look, the way they sound and how easy it is set the tension myself. I even like seeing the "Made in America" stamp. I like that someday I can pass any of these machines down to my DD's or grandchildren, and the machine will still run perfectly. I even like the price of the old machines. Most of them I have picked up for under $25.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:39 AM

I just love old machines...the FW is a marvel, I have a girl friend who use to have one on her sailboard in FL and I almost cringed thinking of the humidity...her Mother always took one on mission trips overseas...they are so reliable...
Old 06-14-2011, 05:49 AM

I sew daily on a 1934 Featherweight that I wouldn't part with. I have another machine that I use for fancy stitches when I need it. I love the simplicity of my Featherweight, just a plain straight stitch that is perfect everytime. When I teach classes, I put my Featherweight in its little carrying case and go. Some of us have the fascination and some don't, I guess that's why there are so many different types of sewing machines on the market. If we all liked the same thing life would be boring!! :-)
Old 06-14-2011, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

They are so pretty! I have always loved anything antique or vintage, lol!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

I just love the "look" of them. I think they are pretty. I was like you...just didn't "get it" when it came to sewing on them though. Afterall, I have a Bernina! Then I bought my 1st vintage machine because it looked great and well...honestly, it was $15.00. Then I sewed on it. Now I'm sold...its fun!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplemem
Here are my reasons to want a treadle:
1. My grandmother had one that I used to sew
2. It does not need electricity
3. I like the "oldness" of it, recycling and reusing things past
4. I want the exercise as I have very limited leg movements

I don't want the featherweight, or hundreds more, just a good working treadle. I'll find one someday, when I have time and money at the same instance.
HI Purplemem,
I didn't realize you were in MS too... Another treadler in MS! Yay...
Old 06-14-2011, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

You either love antiques or you don't. I could ask what the fascination is with Bow Tuck bags, or One Block Wonders. We don't all like the same thing...

I love my 108 year old Singer treadle because it still works as well as the day it was born. I marvel at the balance and precision it has. The soothing sound, "tickety-tickety-tickety", now you don't hear that from a modern machine. The bobbin winder mechanism is a marvel for it's day and time. I feel connected to a people and time when there was pride in making the very best product you could make, not planned obsolescence. It is a fine example of MADE IN AMERICA. My machine will still be sewing when your computerized, multi-thousand dollar plastic housed one has to go sit in the shop!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:20 AM

I had a modern computerized machine - but it was cranky about accepting different threads and it couldn't handle the crossed seams in a pair of pants.

I started wishing I had the machine I learned to sew on and before long, I found one. Learning how to clean her up and get her sewing led me to put certain models on my wish list.

I have three computerized machines, but the most perfect tension is on whatever vintage or antique machine I happen to be sewing on. Once you learn the "formula" for balancing tension, it takes just a few seconds every time you start a new project.

I can sew with any brand of thread and a mix of hugely differing threads in the bobbin and needle. No beeps, no refusing to sew - the seam will tell me right away if I need to adjust something.

The vertical bobbin machines are wonderful quilters - machine guided or free-motion. And some of them sing you happy little songs while they sew.

I can take them apart and put them back together. They are reliable as sunrise.

When the electricity goes out (as it often does!) I am not stranded. I pull up the treadle and keep on sewing. It does 30 different decorative stitches in addition to that perfect straight stitch and quilting.

And they're just plain beautiful - heavy as they are to carry. :)
Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 AM

I would personally love to find out how you manage to achieve "perfect tension" on your machine. I have a Singer Confidence Quilter and the tension has an "auto" setting, and still my thread is breaking when I was trying to FMQ last night. Quite irritating - it broke twice while going down a 9" row in a straight line.

So, about this "perfect tension".....