Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What Was The First Quilt You Made?

Blog Entries
    Here is a link to the first quilt I made. It's the first one in the list, I made it for my DD, who is almost 7.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-64286-1.htm

My very first quilt was a collaborative effort...my mom and her sister had started state flower quilts for their hope chests back in the 1930's and had all the designs ironed on the muslin blocks. Some were colored and embroidered, some not. As a HS home ec project in the 1960's I finished coloring and embroidering the blocks and then added sashing and corner blocks. No rotary cutting! All the sashing strips were torn across the width of the fabric. I added too much seam allowance so there was lots of fabric left at the ends of the strips when I attached the corner blocks. We had a family friend do the hand quilting for us.

Did not do another quilt until 4 or 5 years ago when I decided that quilting was the next craft I wanted to try.

First one that I did everything on was a hand-pieced 'nap' quilt made of vintage fabric for a birthday gift to the great granddaughter of the person whose fabric it was originally. My scant 1/4" seams were closer to scant 1/8" and the fabric was mostly batiste, so it raveled and had to be repaired quite soon after I gave it to her. By then I knew I needed a bit wider seams, so I made the seams a little closer to what they should have been the second go round. She is stll using it now (or was back in May).

Blog Entries
    My first quilt was a 52"x52" Frolic Variation block quilt. My BFF taught me...when I picked out that block, she said, "are you SURE?" I guess it was more difficult than I should have attempted. But we did it, and I learned SO MUCH from starting with a more difficult block. I did finish it, quilted it, and it hangs on a rack in my living room. My grandkids like to take it down and play on it. I like it a lot.

Log Cabin and boy was it ugly.

My first quilt was a Astronaut- the suit and boot parts (applique) with gloves sewn where the little guy could put his hands through to give hugs while in bed. I was in high school and the school secretary knew I did sewing for some teachers (mending and alterations). So she asked if I would be interested. Took the magazine home with me to showed my mom and we did it together. It fit a twin bed and for her son that was about 7 or 8 years old. I remember making a pillow case that had the helmet on it, so it would look like a whole suit with helmet. When I can find the only photo we took that happens to be a polaroid, I will scan and upload here. This would of been aroundd 1976 or so. I didn't do much quilting for about 10 years, was more into sewing clothes and I did ALOT of that. So now I do both, and my grandbabies and attest to that.

This is my first...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-64729-1.htm

Finished less than 2 weeks ago - and my daughter and I have done another one together since, same basic premise ( http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-66876-1.htm ). I'm in the cutting stages of my third, and have fabric for the fourth!

Blog Entries
    The first quilt I ever made was a teddy bear quilt for my nephew. It had a large bear holding the strings to about 3-4 balloons and was machine appliqued. I then taught my little sister (she's 17 years younger than me) how to make a small Log Cabin "throw" for our mother -- my sister's idea, not mine. I didn't do anymore quilts for quite a while until I found myself on a committee to organize events and activities for the anniversary celebration of the church I was attending. It was the 100th anniversary of the church and the 50th anniversary of the school so I thought a quilt would be a nice touch and would be something many people could participate in constructing. Then I got the brillant idea to have it include 100 squares!! Well, I didn't get 100 individual squares. A few of us on the school staff designed and made large squares out of the leftover small squares for each of the four corners and one for the large square for the center. Pretty much any method was permitted for the block designs. Volunteers were given a white cotton square and the instructions regarding the block. Some were embroidered, others were painted with fabric paints or markers, a few were photos of the church, and a couple were appliqued. Each block was so unique. The quilt ended up being 100" x 100" (so I at least got in the number 100!), and I hand quilted that puppy in a hoop!! I had never done handquilting in my life! It was one of those moments when you ask yourself: "What in the world was I thinking?!" We hung the quilt on a wall of a wing off the sanctuary. I often wonder if that quilt is still there. :roll: Maybe I'll get brave and post a pic of that "beauty" sometime. :oops:

Once upon a time.... so many years ago when I was a young mom. My first quilt was made of denim and double knit fabric squares. The backing was a sheet and I tied it. That quilt was so heavy, it made it's way thru several years and ended it's life as a car quilt.

I made my first quilt for my Hubby. I bought some hunting-fishing fabric and did a D9P. I made it for him when he goes hunting because he always stays in a tent. I could tell when he came home he didn't use it. It was still neatly folded and smelled like it was just washed. Maybe he thought the other guys would make fun of him. I don't know. I never brought it up.

Mine was A Kwik Trip by Two Kwik Quilters.

I made my very first quilt over 30 years ago for a friend's first baby. It had embroidered blocks and then the alternating blocks were in green and white gingham. It was between baby and lap size.

I didn't quilt anymore until just about 5 years ago (was busy raising a family and working), although I did continue to sew for all of us and our home. This time I made a large wall quilt by transferring about 15-20 photos for my niece depicting her life from birth to age 9. See below.

After that, I made my first 'real' quilt. It was my first BOM, the sampler quilt below. I made it for my Sister.

I learn something new with each project. Right now I'm working on a queen sized wedding quilt for my oldest son and new bride.

"Family, Friends & Fun" (birth to age 9)
    Name:  Attachment-91529.jpe
Views: 72
Size:  50.1 KB

"Sisterhood"
    Name:  Attachment-91530.jpe
Views: 68
Size:  45.9 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EmsMom
    I have been looking at the gorgeous pictures of everyone's quilts. They are absolutely amazing and beautiful! It just got me thinking (as a newbie) what everyone else started with.

So, what was the first quilt you made?
    Here is my first Quilt ! I machine appliqued the pieces and monkeys. I would call it a patch / scrap quilt. Now I am scared to quilt it ..LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mine was the Eleanor Burns "Quilt in a Day" Log Cabin. Her books are so easy to follow :D

I have drafty windows. And I had no idea what I was doing but I knew I had to stop that draft. So I made a simple sid nine patch. I used an iron on batting... never again see the corner curl.. and then having two more windows to do I custom made the Fans...

A flannel Turning Twenty.

Here's a pic . Still not quilted tho.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    A flannel Turning Twenty.

Here's a pic . Still not quilted tho.
    Very pretty. I have a Turning Twenty that isn't quilted yet either. :)

This is the first quilt I ever made. It was for my baby doll, who still has it as you can see. My mother received some one inch square fabric samples (heaven only knows what for) and let me have them. I must have been around seven years old? Even then I knew to make the ties REAL big so no one could see that the corners didn't meet!!

My first ever Quilt was a queen size Kaleidoscope and I tied it because it was so large , but I may take the back off and but a new one on it someday and quilt it..I made it back in 1988-1989, then started and finished my second Queen size quilt by
    2000. that my little Sis now has.I have since made 4 more, and I UFQ.. :D

The very first one I made, was for a senior survival class in highschool. The middle of the quilt was bright felt squares(cannot remember all the colors), bordered with something that I can't remember and it was backed with a holly hobby sheet, that the rest of the set had gone kapluie with.

It was sandwiched with polyester batting and I belive I had to put the sheet and the top facing each other with the batting in the middle, sew around(I think this is called the pillow method) and then leave some room for you to put your hand in and turn it right side out. Then handstich that hole closed. It was tied.

It kept me warm through college.

I then went dormat more or less till a few years ago. There was an attempt to hand stitch a wedding quilt(from fabric I liked but didn't look weddeny)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-8956-1.htm

This is my first quilt. I must have been about 13 or 14. My daughter has it now, and loves that ugly ole' creation.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    My first quilt was Buckeye Beauty. My sister-in-law is a lifelong Avid quilter, so about 10 years ago, I thought it would be a good hobby for me, too. The pattern came from a quilting book I picked randomly from a bookstore shelf, "Quick and Easy Scrap Quilts," by Leisure Arts. That book became my quilting bible. I Still reference it.

I tied the quilt, but I had used cotton batting. Eventually I learned that was a no-no for a tied quilt, so I called my friend and told her, "Never Wash Your Quilt." lol... Ironically, I have it! We live 2,000 miles apart and had a visit recently and I asked for it back so that I could properly quilt it. It's all apart on my sewing table, but I won't be able to get to it for a couple of weeks (going out of town soon).

Funny this subject came up.

Blog Entries
    Crayon quilt I designed on Creation

I believe my first quilt was called Annie's Choice. I did not know about bias...I just cut out the fabric in any old direction. :cry: Lord did I have myself a mess! :roll: I got it together but after all of these years it still has not been quilted. :D Maybe one day. :D

Quote Originally Posted by MzMcKee
    I have drafty windows. And I had no idea what I was doing but I knew I had to stop that draft. So I made a simple sid nine patch. I used an iron on batting... never again see the corner curl.. and then having two more windows to do I custom made the Fans...
    I just LOVE your beautiful window quilts!! :thumbup: What a gorgeous way to keep out the drafts. :D Do you push them open during the day? Or, is it too stiff with the batting to do that? I ask, because I'm thinking of doing the same thing here in my sewing room. Thank you so much for sharing your terrific ideas and quilts with us.

Thank you all so much for sharing your beautiful quilts and stories.

I am completely embarrassed to admit :oops: that I don't know any of the names of the quilts that are mentioned, i.e,. log cabin, etc. I sure hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast