Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What Was The First Quilt You Made? >
  • What Was The First Quilt You Made?

• What Was The First Quilt You Made?

Old 09-27-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by lass
    My first quilt was from santa claus samples that I had collected after doing pillows. I had 8. I hand stiched them to the block; did the sashing by machine and embroderied the quilt together using a holly leaf design. :oops: It was the hardest thing to do - to embroder through all those layers! :lol:
    Cute santas with the bells on the hats.
    Old 09-27-2010, 03:36 PM

Your 1st quilt sure puts mine to shame ! Very nice

Originally Posted by lass
    My first quilt was from santa claus samples that I had collected after doing pillows. I had 8. I hand stiched them to the block; did the sashing by machine and embroderied the quilt together using a holly leaf design. :oops: It was the hardest thing to do - to embroder through all those layers! :lol:
    Old 09-27-2010, 03:37 PM

My first quilt was Eleanor Burns Lover's Knot. I tied it.
    Old 09-27-2010, 03:42 PM

Mine was attic window, I picked the pattern because it only had three pieces to it. No points match and I use a cardboard template and cut it with sissors. OH my, then I hand quilted it. Still have it and it has polyester batt in it. Very warm though. Then I made a 4 trip around the world quilts for my kids. They completely wore them out. That was way back in the80's.
    Old 09-27-2010, 03:45 PM

A Dresden Plate full size quilt. I pieced it and Mama quilted it for me. About 55 years ago.
    Old 09-27-2010, 03:47 PM

Here is a link to the first quilt I made. It's the first one in the list, I made it for my DD, who is almost 7.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-64286-1.htm
    Old 09-27-2010, 03:54 PM

My very first quilt was a collaborative effort...my mom and her sister had started state flower quilts for their hope chests back in the 1930's and had all the designs ironed on the muslin blocks. Some were colored and embroidered, some not. As a HS home ec project in the 1960's I finished coloring and embroidering the blocks and then added sashing and corner blocks. No rotary cutting! All the sashing strips were torn across the width of the fabric. I added too much seam allowance so there was lots of fabric left at the ends of the strips when I attached the corner blocks. We had a family friend do the hand quilting for us.

Did not do another quilt until 4 or 5 years ago when I decided that quilting was the next craft I wanted to try.

First one that I did everything on was a hand-pieced 'nap' quilt made of vintage fabric for a birthday gift to the great granddaughter of the person whose fabric it was originally. My scant 1/4" seams were closer to scant 1/8" and the fabric was mostly batiste, so it raveled and had to be repaired quite soon after I gave it to her. By then I knew I needed a bit wider seams, so I made the seams a little closer to what they should have been the second go round. She is stll using it now (or was back in May).
    Old 09-27-2010, 03:56 PM

My first quilt was a 52"x52" Frolic Variation block quilt. My BFF taught me...when I picked out that block, she said, "are you SURE?" I guess it was more difficult than I should have attempted. But we did it, and I learned SO MUCH from starting with a more difficult block. I did finish it, quilted it, and it hangs on a rack in my living room. My grandkids like to take it down and play on it. I like it a lot.
    Old 09-27-2010, 03:58 PM

Log Cabin and boy was it ugly.
    Old 09-27-2010, 03:59 PM

My first quilt was a Astronaut- the suit and boot parts (applique) with gloves sewn where the little guy could put his hands through to give hugs while in bed. I was in high school and the school secretary knew I did sewing for some teachers (mending and alterations). So she asked if I would be interested. Took the magazine home with me to showed my mom and we did it together. It fit a twin bed and for her son that was about 7 or 8 years old. I remember making a pillow case that had the helmet on it, so it would look like a whole suit with helmet. When I can find the only photo we took that happens to be a polaroid, I will scan and upload here. This would of been aroundd 1976 or so. I didn't do much quilting for about 10 years, was more into sewing clothes and I did ALOT of that. So now I do both, and my grandbabies and attest to that.