Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What Was The First Quilt You Made?

I took children's coloring books and transfered Santas on fabric and embroidery them by hand. I was so proud of it I entered it in a show and the judge was not nice about it.
    Scared me and it too years before I would enter anything else and this time will be the third time I've put something in a quilt show.

I did a double irish chain for my mother's birthday. I bought a book and followed instructions. I bought exactly the amount of fabric that the book called for not realizing how many cutting mistakes I would make. When I started putting the thing together, I found out that it was a lot harder than I thought!
    I needed more of some fabric and less of another. The fabric store didn't have any more and I couldn't find more anywhere! So my quilt was "pieced" together and no longer an irish chain!

But I finished it anyway, gave it to mama and she loved it! I have it today on my bed and I lovingly laugh at it each day as I smooth it down.

I still can't cut worth a dime and still sometimes run out of fabric, but somehow my quilts turn out ok anyway......at least I love making and giving them!

Roxanne

My first quilt was for my doctor when she was expecting her second baby.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My first quilt was a queen size log cabin in pinks and blues. I still use the quilt. I also used Eleanor Burns' Log Cabin in a Day book--great help! Back in the days before rotary cutters!

IT was a wall hanging of our flag (abstract sort of) with wavy strips. Actually I saw a picture of this flag and decided to try making it. My friend explained the 9 patch and so I sort of modified it to my mind and there it was (after a few ripppppppppppppppppps outs) I wish I know how to forward a picture cause I really am proud of this.

I did the sampler in this book
    http://shop.leisurearts.com/cart/pc/...ide-236p25.htm

It was a great way to start quilting IMHO because it exposed me to a lot of different techniques. After I finished the top in languished for over a year because I was afraid I would ruin it when attempting to quilt it. I tried doing it on my machine and that didn't work so I hand quilted it. The rest is history. I still have that quilt.

Blog Entries
    My first one was around the world postage stamp size blocks.sissor cut. I got so tired of counting the blocks because each row is four blocks more than the last one. And back then oh so many years ago,there were no lqs. There was only salvaged pieces from old clothes,etc. Also there were no wall hanging or lap sized quilts they were all bed size.Does this remind you of the Depression era days or not? lol

My first "real" quilt was made with blocks from my MIL's estate. I took a class that was for people with unfinished projects who needed help getting started--I was hooked after that class.

I've attached a picture of my first "from start to finish" full sized quilt.

Flowers in my Garden
    Name:  Attachment-94459.jpe
Views: 40
Size:  117.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Unlike so many of you, mine was a simple four square baby quilt and I did it by trial and error. I made it for one of my nephews and have been making them for each new baby since but they have gotten better over the yearss. lol. It is always nice when I see one hanging around and that child is grown already.

Blog Entries
    My first quilt was a Rail Fence done in about 1990 from a Quilt in a Day book. I was gullible enough to believe that meant that it could be done in a day. It was a small lap quilt. I actually got the top pieced in a day and quilted it the next day. I did SID and the tension on the back was baaad. Sometimes I think about taking tha quilting out and doing it again but that wouldn't allow me to look back and see how far I have come.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Merritt
    IT was a wall hanging of our flag (abstract sort of) with wavy strips. Actually I saw a picture of this flag and decided to try making it. My friend explained the 9 patch and so I sort of modified it to my mind and there it was (after a few ripppppppppppppppppps outs) I wish I know how to forward a picture cause I really am proud of this.
    If you can get it on a digital file, you can upload it to photobucket(a free photo sharing site) and I think you can put it on here. Or if you look a the bottom of where you comment, if you have the digital photo stored on your hard drive you can upload it on here.

If you don't pm me and I'll try to send you to someplace that can help you or go through with you on how to do it.

My first venture into quilting were 2 twin bed quilts..the pattern was disappearing nine patch....they turned out great and are finally at the quilters. Also made valances with the nine patch trim. I am totally into sewing quilt tops, however, mine will go to the quilter, because stiff old fingers will not allow me to hand sew with any comfort.
    This is like painting with fabric !!!

I started with Tumbling Blocks (see attached)...

No body told me how difficult it was and I took it apart many (MANY) times before I got it just right for my youngest niece. My older sister was to do the actual quilting so it would be form both favorite aunties, but she has to send it back to be finished by me as she is working towards her Masters Degree.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My first was a log cabin baby quilt. I needed a shower gift and thought this would be easy - and actually it was. I used the Eleanor Burns book. This was 25 years ago and I've lost count of how many I have made since.

Blog Entries
    My first was a stained glass Irish by Linda Eberhart. It was my first and my best. It seems my quilting has been downhill since then. :-(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
    Mine was a sampler and would you believe that it isn't finished as yet....and that was 27 years ago.

Made 15 different blocks, put them together with sashings, ........and got 9 blocks handquilted......
    and it is rolled up and packed away......out of sight......and am not sure if it will ever be a completed project. The entire quilt is hand sewn.

Can't count how many completed quilts I have made but that one remains in the bag !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just started quilting a sampler with 15 blocks hand quilted. You have nine done! I have none! I bet I can get done before you do! Does that sound like a challenge or what!!!!!!!!!! We will post our finished quilt when it is done. Let me know if this is ok with you. I need a little push too, now and again! Edie

Blog Entries
    Should have said Iris instead of Irish stained glass quilt. See, I can't even type straight today :-)

My first "real" quilt was a Merry Mayhem Mystery Quilt. Since I didn't know what it was going to look like, I wasn't scared! Turned out nice, and I'm very proud of it. Before that, I had only sewn squares together, with nothing really made of them. No matching colors, no uniform sizes. Really bad, but practice on the 1/4" seam.

when I read about the double knits I just remembered the first lap quilt I made if you can call it that. It was made with probably 4in.squares of plain orange and plain white double knit fabric, I sewed each square individually and stuffed them with fiberfill and then sewed them together by hand with blind stitch! It was well used but everytime I washed it I had to do repair stitches, it ended up in the dogs bed eventually. I still have to make a bed size quilt,sometime.

My first quilt was one my daughter gave
    me to learn to quilt. It was a block of
    the month from Hancocks. I finished the
    quilt and gave it to my grandson as a
    Christmas gift. I had a bad time getting
    the 1/4" seam correct. So my daughter gave
    me a Bernina Patchwork sewing machine for
    Mothers Day gift. That was over six years
    ago and I'm still quilting and love my
    machine. Betty Lee

Blog Entries
    My first quilt was Lucky Stars by Atkinson. The quilt drapes over the back of our sofa in the livingroom - it is the go to cover on a cool evening. I completed the quilting with simple stitch in the ditch method - I must say for my first venture into quilting it has held up very nicely - it's used often and laundered when needed.

Thanks for asking,

Kristine

The first quilt I made was a Log Cabin using Eleanor Burns, book. It made me so nervous cutting up $50.00 of fabric just to sew it back together. I really questioned my sanity, but was delighted and proud of the results. :D

My first quilt was a little house quilt. It was made with cardboard templates and was done in bright crayon colors- the kind of prints you found in the late 70's. It was just before rotary cutters and mats! It was tied and lived a long useful life.

Blog Entries
    My first was a twin size for my daughter, who was then 2 years old. I think it was a "Hole in the Barn Door" or "Churn Dash." I chose that pattern more because it was easy than for any other reason. I hand pieced and hand quilted it, and it was a dark blue print and white. The plain white squares gave me a chance to work on my hand quilting skills. She still has that quilt at age 26, and I hope it will hold together for her to pass on. Someday, I hope she'll develop an interest in quilting herself, but I'm thrilled that she has an appreciation for handmade things.

I started a gorgeous log cabin in colonial blues. I'm still hoping to finish it someday. I have to exchange the sewing pins for safety pins sandwiching the top/backing/batting together so I can finish it. At this point there's a major bloodletting every time I handle it. First finished quilt was a Jewel Box quilt just a month or two ago.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast