Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What Was The First Quilt You Made?

quilt in a day log cabin,made it in a weekend KING SIZE!!

It was very far from perfect but it is still being used 20 years later.

Mine was a Christmas tree skirt. Maybe that doesn't count for some people, but it sure got me hooked!
    jdavis

I just finished a reversible quilted tree skirt for a friend & they are a lot of work! It counts to me! :-)

Mine was a Christmas tree skirt. Maybe that doesn't count for some people, but it sure got me hooked!
    jdavis

I just finished a reversible quilted tree skirt for a friend & they are a lot of work! It counts to me! :-)

My first quilt was a BOM at our local Singer store. It was earth tones, and had a chicken block that was 3-D! boy, that was something. The blocks were trees, a house, a chicken, 12 country blocks. I loved that quilt because it was my first one. I don't have it any more because I traded it for an expensive tool for my husband. What can I say? my husband wanted a tool, the owner really wanted the quilt and - I love my husband more than the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie Merritt
    IT was a wall hanging of our flag (abstract sort of) with wavy strips. Actually I saw a picture of this flag and decided to try making it. My friend explained the 9 patch and so I sort of modified it to my mind and there it was (after a few ripppppppppppppppppps outs) I wish I know how to forward a picture cause I really am proud of this.
    If you can get it on a digital file, you can upload it to photobucket(a free photo sharing site) and I think you can put it on here. Or if you look a the bottom of where you comment, if you have the digital photo stored on your hard drive you can upload it on here.

If you don't pm me and I'll try to send you to someplace that can help you or go through with you on how to do it.
    Thanks, I am going to try your instructions this weekend; I want to add some pictures to my folder so I can send more than one. I really appreciate your help.
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    IT was a wall hanging of our flag (abstract sort of) with wavy strips. Actually I saw a picture of this flag and decided to try making it. My friend explained the 9 patch and so I sort of modified it to my mind and there it was (after a few ripppppppppppppppppps outs) I wish I know how to forward a picture cause I really am proud of this.
    If you can get it on a digital file, you can upload it to photobucket(a free photo sharing site) and I think you can put it on here. Or if you look a the bottom of where you comment, if you have the digital photo stored on your hard drive you can upload it on here.

If you don't pm me and I'll try to send you to someplace that can help you or go through with you on how to do it.
    Thanks, I am going to try your instructions this weekend; I want to add some pictures to my folder so I can send more than one. I really appreciate your help.
    Connie
    Happy to help

I made a king-sized Storm at Sea. I designed the color layout, cut, and machine pieced the quilt. A church quilting circle did the actual quilting. I made it for my daughter who still uses it.

Blog Entries
    My first was corduroy squares sewn together with a white sheet for the backing. This was way back in 1970 and I didn't really know what I was doing. None of the squares had been pre washed and the first time it was washed all the different colors bled onto the backing. It really turned out great though...the back looked like it was tie dyed. It was made for my son's bunk bed and he still has it...kinda worn but still hanging in there.

Mine is my Avatar.

It was a table runner for a long harvest table. It background was natural color with a hand quilted design of a large scallop shell with rose thread, the sash was a rose design on a medium maroon background, the backing was the same print in medium rose and dark maroon. The hand quilting was in the ditch and a rose and vine design on the muslin. The couple were very pleased with their house warming gift.

Andie

My first quilt was a sampler. I was so proud of it. Made enough blocks for two quilts. Gave them to my daughters.

Blog Entries
    My 1st quilt I made 44 years ago. Just blue and white blocks. In the white blocks I painted a birds in each representing the 50 states with banners under them. It was very popular with Artex paints. I just recovered the quilt last year and my kids were horrified as they loved it even if it had faded. This year I found the same pattern and paints and I will do one for each of my kids, as they miss the old one. Now I am not as proud of my work as it was very primitive but enjoy my childrens' memories of its use year after year. I am smiling and my heart is full of joy as my love for my family has been recognized. I hope you all have some of these joys to report.

Quote Originally Posted by SaraSewing
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-8956-1.htm

This is my first quilt. I must have been about 13 or 14. My daughter has it now, and loves that ugly ole' creation.
    I loved your quilt it was a perfect display of color's so I think you had a good eye for scrapy way back then ,so pretty I love scrapy quilts :D :thumbup:

My first quilt was a PP geometry block. Here is a pic of it

http://www.quilterscache.com/images1...ysgeometry.jpg

Mine was a log cabin!

MY FIRST QUILT WAS A TURNING TWENTY QUILT, I WENT TO WALMART AND BOUGHT MATERIAL THAT WAS ON SALE, THEN AFTER IT WAS MADE, I DID NOT REALLY LIKE IT, SO IT AWAITS TO BE QUILTED THEN THE BINDING PUT ON! I AM AFRAID IT IS A UFO, UN FINISHED OBJECT. I DID FINISH A SAMPLER QUILT WITH HELP FROM ONE OF MY FRIENDS, MOST OF THE MATERIAL DID COME FROM WALMART BUT IT WAS A LOT BETTER MATERIAL SO THEREFORE I ENJOYED MAKING IT AND I COMPLETED IT AND IT IS NOW A GIFT FOR MY SON AND HIS WIFE FOR CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR, THEY DO NOT KNOW ABOUT IT AS YET. PEGGY

JAN, WHERE DO YOU LIVE IN VA? I AM FROM WAYNESBORO, VA. PEGGY

My first quilt was a trip around the world where we made the top in a day in a class. I was so tired after I wouldn't look at the quilt for a week after. Before that day I had not sewn anything in about 20 years. This is it.

Trip around the world
    Name:  Attachment-102155.jpe
Views: 193
Size:  81.4 KB

Blog Entries
    First quilt was a Log Cabin quilt that I made (20 years ago) as a present to my sister.

Blog Entries
    Eleanor Burns Log Cabin was my starter. It is still in use, even though it isn't the best workmanship I have. Love that quilt! :roll:

Mine was a Cathedral Window Full bed quilt. And i still have and use it today!

My first was a baby irish chain 25 years ago then I got hooked That's why I love this quilting board.

I LOVE THOSE, BUT THEY LOOK LIKE THEY WOULD TAKE A LOT OF TIME.PEGGY

My first quilt was a Log Cabin made for my eldest grandson who was headed to Michigan State University.

At the same time I made another Log Cabin in Maize & Blue for the graduation of a grandson who loves the University of Michigan.

It ws a busy spring, but they were so thrilled that now the High School graduation gift is a Quilt. 7 down and 8 to go.

When my 2 girls were 10 and 13, 42 and 45 now, I cut out some big blocks, embroudered(sp)(worlds worst) their first inital in the center block, hand sewed the blocks together, then took twin size blankets and sewed the blocks to these and that was their bedspreads until they left home in their early twenties. Wish I had a picture to look back on.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast