Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What Was The First Quilt You Made?

My first was a collection of six inch squares I acquired from somewhere. I just sewed them together and tied it together. I was so green that I turned the top over and stitched it to the backing. Who knew binding and I had no idea about patterns. I used a loft batting which is bunching up and after a gazillion washings, the colors are pretty faded. Forty years later it's still going strong and has been used by four generations..... on the couch, on the floor, for picnics and camping. Pretty quilt? Gosh, No!!! But certainly loved by all.

I'm getting ready to go on vacation in a couple of days so will take a pic for posting when I get back.

I can't see a single mistake. Your lone star looks great!!!

my very first quilt was when my oldest was a little boy, he's almost 40 now. I took a bunch of little square pieces and just sewed them together, no rime or reason just picked them up one by one and sewed. I didn't have any clue as to what types of fabrics they were at the time neither did I care. I was just building a warm blanket for my child. That was the thought going through my head at the time. I didn't have much money and could not afford to buy material so I used what ever scraps I could get from old clothes from my family. Back then I really didn't know much about sewing either because I was never taught to sew. But I had bought a second hand sewing machine at a yard sale and worked with it until I got it to stitch right. Anyway, it was about the size of a lap quilt. From then on I taught myself to sew clothes for my children but it wasn't until lately that I even tried my hand at quilting again.

It's sort of funny that you started this thread because last week while talking with my daughter she asked me if I had remembered that quilt and said she had it. I had forgotten all about that quilt since I hadn't seen it in years. I told her I wanted pictures of it so hopefully she might get around to doing that for me some day.

Blog Entries
    Queen size Trip Around the World.

Blog Entries
    What wonderful stories. A star quilt for a first quilt. I'm impressed with your bravery. I've been playing for years and still have not tried a lone star. Maybe now is the time?

Quote Originally Posted by laurlync
    My first (earlier this year) was a Lone Star. I was really nervous and wasn't sure I could do it, but I wanted to make that pattern so bad, I just went for it! It has quite a few errors, but I am very pleased with the overall quilt. It was a present for my DBF's birthday and, once it was done, I couldn't wait...he got it early!!
    This is really pretty. You give me the courage to havago. :)

my very first thing I did was a wallhanging of houses going up a winding hill. Self taught here also. It is still on my wall. That was in 1998.

Such fabulous stories and beautiful quilts. Definitely a group of very talented quilters! Thanks for sharing. I will be starting mine on Sunday. I just hope I don't mess it up!

Blog Entries
    I took a class to do my first and only quilt this last Winter. Here is a picture of it.

My Mom and Dad are holding it up. I made it for him for Father's Day.
    Name:  Attachment-108363.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  83.2 KB

Well done, that looks really nice. You have done a great job.:)

Blog Entries
    The first quilt I made by myself was in 1973, I emborided animal blocks and put animal flannel around them, for the batting I used my favorite comfy blankie... and I hand quilted it.. for my first son that was born in 1973. I used the same animal print flannel for the backing, I think the color was a sea green.. It lasted for years. Went through two more kids...What a memory... I hadn't thought about that in years...

lue
    My first quilt was a Twisted Bargello! If you don't know any better, you'll try ANYTHING! I saw a sampe in the quilt store & it was beautiful. I took the class but didn't finish the quilt. 3 years later I went back to the quilt shop and the owner helped me finish it. I enlarged the wall hanging pattern to make a Queen size quilt. I miscounted somewhere and the Bargello didn't TWIST! But I've learned that if you attempt to do one thing (even recipes) & it turns out differently, call it something else! So I call my beautiful, colorful quilt a Drunken Bargello! I love it!

Blog Entries
    My first was a Magic Six pattern that I made into a wallhanging.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyj123
    Well done, that looks really nice. You have done a great job.:)
    Thank you. It was quite an experience. I am wanting to make a quilt incorporating a rainbow for my Mom this winter. Hope I am up to the challenge.

My first quilt was a lap-size of 12-inch blocks made by coworkers in a block swap. I suppose my block was the "ugliest" because I didn't have a clue about block design. I knew about sewing, but I didn't know about quilting. That was in '95 and the quilt is still in use today.

fishnlady, I love your quilt, what is the name of your pattern?

lue
    You CAN'T mess up! I told you, if it looks like something different than you planned, CALL IT SOMETHING ELSE! Enjoy!

lue
    Fishnlady, That's a BEAUTIFUL QUILT!!

My first quilt was a grandmothers flower garden pieced by hand over papers - I lined it and never got round to quilting it. I started it for my as yet unborn second daughter but like Topsey, it grew and is King size! Lynette-Merlin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    fishnlady, I love your quilt, what is the name of your pattern?
    Thank you Linda and Lue for your compliments. Linda the name of it is called Round About the World. It was in a book called Tradition With A Twist by Blanche Young and Dalene Young Stone.
    I thought the layout and instructions were quite easy to follow but of course it certainly was needful to do this in class for me since I had not done any quilting whatsoever before this. I have done a lot of learning from this forum and looked at a lot of tutorials online which gives me courage to tackle a rainbow design of my own to make a quilt for my Mother this winter.

in hiding !! witness protection program LOL
    The first quilt I ever made was when my daughter was born over 32 years ago. I wanted something special so I went to the library and got a book, sat down and started cutting, sewing (with lots of praying that it would turn out). She still has that tattered memory of a quilt somewhere in her trunk from Germany.

My very first quilt was a Rail fence baby quilt for our 1st daughter in 1985 ... I cut out every darn piece by template, pieced by machine & I hand quilted around every "rail"
    It was almost my LAST quilt too, after all that cutting ! Thank goodness the rotary cutter & strip piecing came along ! :roll:

I made mine during December '06. It was made out of fleece. It had black and white nine patches with red filler squares that were as large as the nine patches. I didn't know how to bind so I had just turned in the seams along the edges and top-stitched the edge. It wasn't the prettiest, but it did the trick. It was tied, not quilted. It was given to my God son when he was born the following May. He still has it. Well, he's not all that into now because he's in a superhero phase so he gets excited about his Superman and Spiderman blankets and my quilt don't fit the bill. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    I made mine during December '06. It was made out of fleece. It had black and white nine patches with red filler squares that were as large as the nine patches. I didn't know how to bind so I had just turned in the seams along the edges and top-stitched the edge. It wasn't the prettiest, but it did the trick. It was tied, not quilted. It was given to my God son when he was born the following May. He still has it. Well, he's not all that into now because he's in a superhero phase so he gets excited about his Superman and Spiderman blankets and my quilt don't fit the bill. lol
    LOVE THE QUOTE AT THE BOTTOM.
    Because I have to study really hard to be a C student

My first quilt was started because my younger sister was making her boyfriend a quilt with pieced fish, and I thought "That looks neat". I tried a block of the pieced fish, but didn't understand seam allowances, so it came out looking like a tree.

So I found this applique design in a book and enlarged it. The other squares were all scraps and some charm squares my mom had from a swap or something. I just randomly sewed them all together. I started it one summer after my junior year of college and didn't finish it until three years later (it just sat in a box in between). I wanted it to be a double, initially, but got tired of sewing squares together, so I made it lap size.

Now it is my TV quilt, and my daughter seems to really like the colorfulness of it.

This is the quilt I made when I didn't know how to quilt, so I ironed all the seams open (although my mom did tell me to use 1/4" seams) and some of the fabrics are not just poly blends, but also at least one that is pure polyester. I think there are a couple of rayons, too. Pulled the back around for binding and hand-tied it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast