Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: What Was The First Quilt You Made?

My very first was a rag quilt made with fern pattern flannel on both sides (sure hope the pics show up).

Janice M.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A baby quilt for my oldest son who he and his wife has just two weeks ago their first child, a daughter. The quilt was little squares of mostly yellow flannel with blue and green too and with yellow flannel backing.

Mine was a Log Cabin. The one in my Avitar. Took a class and I couldn't figure out how to put it together to get the lightening bolt or any of the other suggested patterns so I ended up with what you see. I never noticed it looked rather 3D till I posted it. Did a SID just guessing on how to hand quilt. Still use it as a Sofa throw.

My first was for my baby girl - a log cabin made out of white, yellow and pink flannel and I still have it ready to give to her to hand down when that time arrives - sniff, sniff~

My first quilt was a Double Wedding Ring for my older daughter. It is king size. I made this one about 15 years ago. She still has it. I did not think this out or I would not have agreed to this pattern. Everything was cut out with scissors. I sewed it together one week when I was sick and not able to go to work.

Quote Originally Posted by sew_it_up
    My first quilt was a Double Wedding Ring for my older daughter. It is king size. I made this one about 15 years ago. She still has it. I did not think this out or I would not have agreed to this pattern. Everything was cut out with scissors. I sewed it together one week when I was sick and not able to go to work.
    What a huge project for the first one...! How brave you were! It is really beautiful!

My first quilt was made from old blue jeans, I used a blanket for the backing. (no batting) Tied it. It was big enuf to cover our Q bed. But weighed 10# So I later took it apart and made 2 small quilts out of it. My grand kids use those for sleep outs, like boy scout trips etc.
    They are warm bu,t so heavy you can't wiggle your toes under them.

Woman's Day "make a quilt in a weekend". Never making a quilt before I thought it would be fun. A king sized Trip around the world was a challenge for a new mother, and I knew nothing about rotary cutters so it was all hand cut with scissors. Long arm quilters were not in my vocabulary either so I hand tied the whole giant quilt. And that was my auspicious start in quilting 25 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by EmsMom
    I have been looking at the gorgeous pictures of everyone's quilts. They are absolutely amazing and beautiful! It just got me thinking (as a newbie) what everyone else started with.

So, what was the first quilt you made?
    I made a single bed sampler quilt similar to the one on the front cover of Diana Leone's book, 'The New Sampler Quilt'. My colours, however, were mainly navy blue, French pink, and white.

My first was called a stack and whack, but not the kind that looks like a kaleidascope.

Blog Entries
    Pink and white nine patch for my great grandaughter :-D

I LIKE THIS QUILT, OR BLANKIE. IT MAKES ME WANT TO CURL UP AND GO TO SLEEP. I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE ONE FOR MY HOME.

Blog Entries
    I made Double Irish Chain and it was the frist time I used a rotary cutter. It was a bedspread for a single bed .Far from perfect but I was pleased with myself. It is still on the bed.

My first quilt was a Queen size Dresden Plate for my sister. Couldn't figure out how to machine quilt it, so also learned how to hand quilt!!! Loved it. It was very far from perfect but I was very proud of it and my sister loved it. Did I mention it took me a year? :(

My first quilt.....A sampler....Two girls I worked with over 25 years ago were taking a class and talked me into doing it with them. I could use a sewing machine but barely did.

I learned 4 to 6 blocks and methods a week and had to make 4 blocks a week. I learned everything. Not thrilled with my fabric choice but it was great fun.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    My first was a twin size rail fence made with six one-and-a-half inch strips in rainbow colors (ROYGBV)for my sister's first child -- very puffy and machine quilted SID. Then two more identical ones in quick succession for kids number two and three. Boring. I'll never make repeats again or use such puffy batting. But, what did I know?

NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL A GOOD JOB, I LOVE THAT. NO WONDER IT TOOK A YEAR.

Blog Entries
    Is that the first one I finished or the first one I didn't finish? Okay, the first quilt I tried (and did not finish) was a simple charm type quilt. We had an old five and dime in my rural hometown and my Mom bought me some packs of 5 inch squares. I sewed them by hand. I still have the top but haven't quilted it yet so it is still an UFO.

My first quilt was a red,white and turquoise 9 patch. All poly fabrics and batting. I hand quilted it and I saw it yesterday and all the quilting has come out, the quilt is still in one piece(mostly..its 20 years old). I used a cardboard template that I drew around with pencil and it got smaller as I went. I'm suprised that it all went together. :shock:
    I may put a new backing on it and requilt it by machine, it belongs to my DS, he got it for his 10th birthday. It took me 3 years to get it finished.

I started with "Rail Fence" in the begning cause my quilting Guild which I applied with they have the lesson for beginner then the 2nd quilt was "Log cabin". Recently, I've been working on about start blocks that I like and planning to make many star qults for family but different style....

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    My first was called a stack and whack, but not the kind that looks like a kaleidascope.
    I been looking for something for my granddaughter's pink room. Your stack and wack has given me an idea to go on.
    Thanks

My first (earlier this year) was a Lone Star. I was really nervous and wasn't sure I could do it, but I wanted to make that pattern so bad, I just went for it! It has quite a few errors, but I am very pleased with the overall quilt. It was a present for my DBF's birthday and, once it was done, I couldn't wait...he got it early!!

it's excellent for a first quilt, let alone a star quilt. They are tough depending how you did it, whether you cut strips or used the lonestar facing stuff they make now.

Quote Originally Posted by joyceinoh
    Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    I been looking for something for my granddaughter's pink room. Your stack and wack has given me an idea to go on.
    Thanks
    Happy to have helped. It was pretty easy since I was able to do it. LOL.

My first quilt was a trip around the world quilt. I had seen a magazine in the mid 80's that talked about making a quilt in a day. I had no idea what a rotary cutter was or anything else they were talking about. I did buy a self-healing cutting mat but had no idea what to do with it. And they didn't have any inch markings on them at that time. I didn't want to use a cardboard template and didn't have the cutting ruler to go with the rotary cutter I didn't have. So I marked strips with a pencil and tore when I could. The quilt took me two weeks to make, but I finished it. I gave it to my cousin and his wife as a wedding gift. Then I found out her mother is a professional seamstress! The wedding couple thought I had bought it until the little "made by" tag in the corner was pointed out to them. They were very impressed.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast