Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9

Thread: What Was The First Quilt You Made?

Blog Entries
    I made a quilt many moons ago. (l980) I was always a sewer for my neices, so I took all the material I had for the dresses and cut 4" blocks, and sewed them together, then hand quilted it with an X
    It is now ratted with holes but well loved by my kids. And soft as can be. It is fun, remembering the dresses I made from the materials.

Blog Entries
    My first one was a KING size SAMPLER.....figured if I could do that one, I could do anything...........this is actually on our bed right now..its cold here in NC this week....

Blog Entries
    My first one was a KING size SAMPLER.....figured if I could do that one, I could do anything...........this is actually on our bed right now..its cold here in NC this week....

My first was a Storm at Sea baby quilt for my nephew, cut with cardboard templates and crappy scissors. I even made two extra blocks into a matching little pillow for him. He used it for a while, then my sister put it in her cedar chest to keep for him until he starts his own family.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    My first quilt was started because my younger sister was making her boyfriend a quilt with pieced fish, and I thought "That looks neat". I tried a block of the pieced fish, but didn't understand seam allowances, so it came out looking like a tree.

So I found this applique design in a book and enlarged it. The other squares were all scraps and some charm squares my mom had from a swap or something. I just randomly sewed them all together. I started it one summer after my junior year of college and didn't finish it until three years later (it just sat in a box in between). I wanted it to be a double, initially, but got tired of sewing squares together, so I made it lap size.

Now it is my TV quilt, and my daughter seems to really like the colorfulness of it.

This is the quilt I made when I didn't know how to quilt, so I ironed all the seams open (although my mom did tell me to use 1/4" seams) and some of the fabrics are not just poly blends, but also at least one that is pure polyester. I think there are a couple of rayons, too. Pulled the back around for binding and hand-tied it.
    Love your quilt. It is really cute. I like fishes.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    Fishnlady -- love your choice of colors -- I can almost see the heat coming out of that quilt, and your dad looks mighty pleased.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
    Fishnlady -- love your choice of colors -- I can almost see the heat coming out of that quilt, and your dad looks mighty pleased.
    Thank you. He did not know I was making it so it was a big surprise to him. He shows it to everyone who comes to visit. It makes me happy to bless someone like that and this quilting thing opens up such opportunities to do just that. Quilting and quilters are such fun. And I have lurked here long enough to see there are some really nice people on this forum. I am so thankful I found this site.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnlady
    I took a class to do my first and only quilt this last Winter. Here is a picture of it.
    Wow !! Love the color combination.
    You did a great job on the quilt itself.

It is a blue ribbon quilt, in my book.
    Joyce

My first quilt was a log cabin quilt which I still have. It's full of mistakes but I like to see how far I've come since I have made that.

My first quilt (and only so far) was made using cheater fabric with round medalions and ducks in the center. The fabric had a floral border, so to make a king size I stitched the two borders together to make something like sashing in the mid. and around each block. It turned out pretty well. I had to go back and requilt the first part I quilted due to my stitches being way to large. After a while I got the hang of it and it looks ok: I have a bad habit of biteing off too much at once with projects.

Mine was traditional tumbling blocks. I was too ignorant to know it is not one of the easiest to do! Good thing was from then on they seemed very easy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joyceinoh
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnlady
    I took a class to do my first and only quilt this last Winter. Here is a picture of it.
    Wow !! Love the color combination.
    You did a great job on the quilt itself.

It is a blue ribbon quilt, in my book.
    Joyce
    Thank you Joyce. Up close I am sure you would have found the mistakes though. :) But I had a lot of enjoyment making it.

My first real quilt was a Trip Around The World that I made at a week long Elderhostel Quilt class I took back in 1999. I was the only newbie quilter in the class but I have to say the instructor made sure I learned the basics. My supply list said to bring pins and I brought about 10 big safety pins and a few straight pins. I didn't have a quarter inch foot so most of my seams were off and didn't match up but I was proud of that quilt. Went home and made a baby quilt and a twin size quilt in that pattern.

Did make a something like a quilt way back in the 80's. It was a queen sized duvet to cover an old blanket. I sewed a bunch of big calico squares together and used a wild patterned sheet for the back. No tying or tacking down to hold it together but it served as our bed cover for a few years. Even made a calico bed ruffle to match. May in Jersey

The first quilt I made was the double Irish Chain - a present for my eldest son. That was years ago when I was still doing hand quilting.

my avatar is my first quilt.. I am still not done.. as I am a lazy quilter and I am hand quilting this one.

Banned
    was taught cathedral window followed by octagonals and from then on decided that piecing was not for me!

It seems that those are hard ones to start learning with.

Trip around the world was 1st second was rail fence....I still love the simple ones best.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt-Writer
    I made a king-sized Storm at Sea. I designed the color layout, cut, and machine pieced the quilt. A church quilting circle did the actual quilting. I made it for my daughter who still uses it.
    And.....have we seen a picture? I love Storm at Sea!

My first was the Album pattern (my Avatar) in Civil War reproduction fabric.

mine was crazy quilt.

More amazing quilts and fabulous stories. I am really way out of my league! There are so many different kinds/patterns of quilts - I have no idea what most of them look like.

Don't feel overwhelmed or inexperienced. I'm only on my 3rd quilt. I've discovered that the quilters on this board are so supportive and full of information they are willing to share. I just love it here.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9