Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what was the first sewing machine you ever used >

what was the first sewing machine you ever used

what was the first sewing machine you ever used

Old 10-31-2010, 07:28 AM

I love Pojo. I am on my fifth doxie. I have a red and a double dapple. Goldie Lu Freckles has one blue eye and one brown. She has an eye defect, her pupils are misshapen and in the wrong place in her eye. She can't focus up close,but she compensates by backing up about a foot from what she is looking at, ie food!!! She is a mini- a jumbo mini. I call her my sausage dog. katie
Old 10-31-2010, 07:43 AM

I taught myself to sew on the treadle sewing machine at my parents' dry cleaners in the '60s. I don't remember the brand but I though it was cool being able to reverse the way I pumped the treadle and the machine would sew in reverse!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:43 AM

I taught myself to sew on the treadle sewing machine at my parents' dry cleaners in the '60s. I don't remember the brand but I though it was cool being able to reverse the way I pumped the treadle and the machine would sew in reverse!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:55 AM

I learned to sew on my mom's Kenmore. In the sixties. She eventually bought a singer, and my first sewing machine was from Montgomery Wards. I got my first bernina in 1992, and I love it. I upgraded to another bernina, aurora 440 QE, but kept the other bernina, "just in case." I did not know that the feet were different, the connections are different. Of course I have lots of "old bernina" feet, that is the other reason I kept the old bernina. There is nothing wrong with it, I just can no longer lift it. It weighs 40 lbs as it is all metal. I figured I could use it if something happened to the new bernina. I found a thing, an adapter, that I am hoping will allow me to use the old feet on the new sewing machine. Maybe I will ask others here if they know of an adapter, in case what I ordered isn't what I thought it was.
I also have my "second" mom's sewing machine, and also a later model? of the feather weight. and of course, I had to get a Janome to take to classes, as I could not lift the other berninas. It is the 12 lb one and I love it.

I just built a new house and my sewing room is 24 feet by 20 feet. I am just now organizing it. I will post pictures when it gets done. I designed a sewing cabinet, and the cabinet maker built it. He made it match all the other cabinets in the house!!! It matches the built in cabinets he made. The table has a 6 foot pop up table on the front so I can use it for my go cutter or for using my small altos cutter. I have the big altos cutter and it will sit on top of a cutting table. I have arthritis that is a cousin of rheumatoid, so I can't cut well. I love my cutting toys, it lets me do what I want in spite of the arthritis. I found a cabinet with drawers that look like cd drawers. 28 individual drawers that I plan to put my far quarters into. I have them on the polar notions small wrappers and will color code them and alsoo categorize them into 30's, batiks, kids, dogs . . . It helps to have some OCD. I like labels. The only problem is that the wrappers are 1/2 too wide. So I am using a paper cutter to take 3/8 of an i nch off of the sides of the wrappers. Of course I have to do both sides so the things will not be lopsided. Did I mention OCD? Only 1200 cuts to make.

If anyone has any ideas for my room, please let me know. I also have three library card catalog sets of drawers to keep the sewing toys and supplies in. I repurposed old rusty book shelves that had book racks on them. We took the wire racks off the shelves and screwed them together and I placed them on a to granite bases with a lazy susan spinner in between the. (They were the cut outs for the bathroom sinks) I had to use something heavy to keep it from falling over with the books.

Now I can store lots of books in a small space that has a horizontal component. Only a little floor space taken up; go vertical is the advice of my friend Susan, the professional organizer. (perfectlyplaced.org) She is helping me, and she has an online part of her business. Virtual organizing!!! I am truly blessed. Since I moved 14oo miles from her, it is perfect. Please send me your ideas, I am still in the sorting and donating part of the process. My entire sewing room has been moved to the patio. I have an outside door in the sewing room that opens onto the new patio. Perfect for putting things on for the sorting process.

Should I put the threads on the wooden spooled racks and hang them on the wall behind my sewing cabinet. there is room between the end of the built in and the double window that is behind my sewing cabinet. Will they thread get too dusty, or should I hang the thread wooden caddies on the inside of the built in doors? Any other ideas??? Thanks for any input!!! katie
Old 10-31-2010, 07:57 AM

Singer treadle....Egad! Am I revealing my age?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:03 AM

My grandma tought me to sew on her treadle singer machine, I remember sewing doll's cloths and later some of my own shorts and dresses. For quite a few years I stop sewing and 10 years ago I started quilting. I wish I had my grandsma's machine. When I started quilting here in Florida I bought a Brother for $120 at Sears until I "needed" more features. I bought a Pfaff Tiptronic 2030 with the tax return money and love it. I now also have a Pfaff serger which I am learning to use.
I am campaigning for an embroidery but DH thinks I don't "need" it and it is too expensive. Buaaahhh! I need to find one not top of the line to convince him of my need!
Long Arm??? not yet in my wish list; still trying free motion on my Pfaff.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:22 AM

I learned on my grandmother's Singer treadle, then my mother's 1950's Singer portable. I still have my mother's portable. I wish I still had my grandmother's treadle.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:55 AM

I learned on my mother's White treadle in the mid 40's. Also used my Grandma's Singer treadle. I bought my first machine of my own, a Singer 301, in 1958. DD has that one and the White treadle. Next was a Singer Touch and Sew. Then a Pfaff 1471 in the 80's, followed by my Pfaff CV.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:12 AM

My Mom bought me a machine in 1975-76 out of the Spiegle catalog. Mom sewed a little but not much. Just a few outfits for me and my Sister and some doll blankets. She really never did get into it. Anyway, it's a Brother all metal with a snap on cover. Only does straight stitch and zigzag. I still have that machine 35 years later. I don't think I will ever get rid of it.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:16 AM

I learned to sew on a singer was there any other?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-116290.png