Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the first thing you do when FMQ? >

What is the first thing you do when FMQ?

What is the first thing you do when FMQ?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:18 AM

Oh dear! LOL You are all so funny. I am fairly new to FMQ and breathing is getting easier to remember. On one of my machines I able to regulate my speed. I sorta do best with a medium to high speed... until I get lost in where I am going... THEN, I stop with the needle down and get reoriented and take off again. Everyone says practise, practise, practise and I think they are right.

Oh, I always starting out praying. :-D
Old 06-17-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I pull the bottom thread to the top and stitch in place two or three times, then just start quilting.

I found that when I first started FMQ I was better with the micro stippling than the larger stuff.
Jennifer, this has been my prob. too. I'm now trying to do larger work but lose my way. I still end up doing smaller work. As much FMQ as I've done now I still don't like my work.
I'm also having a prob. with the drag of the fabric on the mach.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:00 AM

Hope I've offered the right sacrifice to the quilting gods!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:05 AM

Are you using the BSR?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:28 PM

I start at a point which leads to a smooth line and then just move the sandwich around until finished. Then I pull the bobbin thread up, tie all four threads off and bury the knot. So far this has worked quite well. I'm teaching nyself to do FMQ and started with pot holders. One thing I have found is to watch the mark on the foot and not the needle, it makes it easier and gives a much better result. If I try to watch the needle I get in trouble and out comes the trusty seam ripper. I really love FMQ, but I need practice practice practice before I tackled anything large.

I want to try echo quilting, but I'm going to have to get much better before I try that.

Oh, one thing I found is remember to lower the foot because if you don't you get the most horrendous birds nests ever. It is hard to remember because you have this puffy sandwich and it looks like the foot is down. I stuck a post it note on my machine that says "LOWER THE FOOT."

Oh, and praying doesn't hurt either. For that matter, cussing seems to ease the bird nest pain.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:34 PM

Have a glass of wine then a deep breath to relax!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:30 PM

Wow, this FMQ is sounding really difficult. Now I am really nervous. I am taking a 6 hour class on it tomorrow. We are supposed to bring FQ sized sandwiches to practice on. I have heard so many horror stories, I am wondering how things will go! 16 hours to build up my courage! ;)

I've heard I have to relax, relax, relax!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by kwiltnutt
Are you using the BSR?
What is BSR?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 PM

First thing I do is clean and oil machine if it is needing it, put in a new needle, wind several bobbins, then get ready to sew....I bring the bottom thread up to the top, take 3-4 stitches going forward about a thread with each stitch, then start taking stitches at the stitch length I like. I also end stitching by taking the really short stitches. I don't like to stitch exactly in place. Remember to breathe while quilting!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by BettyGee
I start at a point which leads to a smooth line and then just move the sandwich around until finished. Then I pull the bobbin thread up, tie all four threads off and bury the knot. So far this has worked quite well. I'm teaching nyself to do FMQ and started with pot holders. One thing I have found is to watch the mark on the foot and not the needle, it makes it easier and gives a much better result. If I try to watch the needle I get in trouble and out comes the trusty seam ripper. I really love FMQ, but I need practice practice practice before I tackled anything large.

Four threads? I'm confused about "pulling the thread up" and now you mention four threads, so I'm twice as confused. See, I can do math! lol.

I want to try echo quilting, but I'm going to have to get much better before I try that.

Oh, one thing I found is remember to lower the foot because if you don't you get the most horrendous birds nests ever. It is hard to remember because you have this puffy sandwich and it looks like the foot is down. I stuck a post it note on my machine that says "LOWER THE FOOT."

Oh, and praying doesn't hurt either. For that matter, cussing seems to ease the bird nest pain.