Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to Liz Porter?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by one&only
    It also states in the new magazine that the mom and daughter team really enjoyed learning the techniques on their new sponsor (Baby Lock) for the 1600 tv series. I agree that the daughter does not bring the appeal to the show that Liz did.
    Wondering if Mary (daughter) is for the purpose of luring the younger generations into quilting.
    That would be good though (luring the younger generation). I never watched the show but I just found it on my TV so I'm going to watch it.

Liz has another love called 'knitting' and she has been working on some patterns and magazine showcasing her talents there, too.

Mary said her daughter will be with her in this series. the 1600 hundred series. Thats all I know.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reader 0129
    I saw one of the earlier programs this fall. They just said that she wanted to spend more time with grandkids.
    Implied she was only getting out of the TV part of the business.
    I recently purchased a babylock machine and the saleslady told me this also.

I read that Liz retired.

They have said that Liz is retired - or semi-retired so she can spend time with the grandkids. I think I read that she has moved or is spending part of her time in Texas.
    I think Mary is trying to appeal to new quilters.

Simply Quilts went off the air because the ^%$&%$# at HGTV decided we all wanted to see more shopping for homes, selling homes, improving the back yard, etc. Kinda like WM getting rid of fabric so they can sell more makeup.

If the daughter lures more youngsters into quilting, that's great! Wouldn't their decisions be different if the CEOs of WM and HGTV had loved a quilt as a child?

Blog Entries
    At least F & P is still on the air! What are we going to do for quilting shows when all these ladies retire if we don't have new blood coming in.

Alex Anderson and Ricky Timm now have there own show on the internet but must JOIN in order to view their segments. I too really miss Simply Quilts. Saw it every morining and was a great way to start my day.

Only show I watch now is Eleanor. Noticed she's updating her techniques and incorporating precut fab. Last Sat she was using jelly rolls!

We no longer get F&P and only saw a couple shows with the daughter and not impressed at all. Sometimes change is good and sometimes things should be left alone.

I really dislike the daughter. She just turns me completely off. Because I am a beginning quilter I will continue to watch but they sure messed up. I liked the Bernina sponsorship. I love my Bernina. My dealer had both Bernina and Babylock and for me there was no choice but Bernina for a number of reasons. I had a lot of trouble with made in China, Taiwan with a D1 years back and I was determined never to deal with that again. Don't most of the sewing machine companies make similar attachments

Blog Entries
    My way of thinking is Hey they have a tv quilt show and I don't so I'm watching it. I wouldn't want to make a tv show with my DD so kuddos to both of them for the effort.

Blog Entries
    POOR LIZ...she retired over a year ago...just wants to do other things with her family
    seems like every week...for something like 60+weeks now someone gets all UP IN ARMS over it...What happened to Liz???...
    she is enjoying her life! she does not have to work any more!!!
    give the woman a break she paid her dues and deserves time for herself.

I think Liz is editing the knitting magazine. Check out Fons and Porter Love of Knitting.

Just read a post that must have come in right before mine. Guess she's not editing the knitting magazine. . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter1943
    I think Liz is editing the knitting magazine. Check out Fons and Porter Love of Knitting.

Liz wants to spend more time with her family. I give her a lot of credit by putting family first! I'm pretty sure her grandchildren are quite young and she is cherishing these times. Good for her!

Bernina quit sponsoring F&P a couple times. When I last saw them Babylock was sponsoring them. I now just started seeing them on BYU and BabyLock is sponsoring them again.

Bernina is well known for dropping shows. They were the first to sponsor the Martha Pullen show, then dropped it. Then when I started watching quilt shows on PBS I purchased my first Bernina because they sponored it. Now they must have dropped it too. So, my next machine will be a babylock because they at least pay to put the machine on the air.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    POOR LIZ...she retired over a year ago...just wants to do other things with her family
    seems like every week...for something like 60+weeks now someone gets all UP IN ARMS over it...What happened to Liz???...
    she is enjoying her life! she does not have to work any more!!!
    give the woman a break she paid her dues and deserves time for herself.
    I so agree with you! This thread has gone on forever (since last June). It is amazing it keeps coming up over and over again.

I have wondered the same thing. What happened to Liz. I'm also disappointed to see their not sponsoring Bernina. I have a Bernina and think it's a perfect machine. The daughter is friendly enough but just not Liz. KGIRL

i was at the International Quilt Festival in Cincinnati last week.... one of the people there told me that Liz is ill and that is the reason she has not been on the show recently..... hope she recovers soon and returns.... wish her well... and miss her on the show. Mary does not fill her shoes!

Blog Entries
    I was watching the local PBS pledge program and Marianne said that Liz had retired and that her daughter Mary would be stepping up and filling in that spot. I think she does a wonderful job. People seem a little reserved with change - I welcome it for it offers a different perspective. I will continue to watch FP Love of Quilting.

I have heard that, but haven't looked for the magazine.
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter1943

RDM
    Blog Entries
    I can understand so many years on the road and working, that a little time off could be a nice thing. I hope Liz is just off having some fun time. I'm thankful for all Fons & Porter have done for the quilting world. Their quilting book is the standard I use when ever I have questions.

done with this

Ok, so she retired to be with her grandchildren. I don't begrudge her that - but I would have loved to hear it from her lips, that's all. Just watched another episode with the daughter and almost fell asleep. In case you read this Liz Porter, we love you, we miss you and we wish you the very best!

That's what I heard too..it happened quickly,,I live where we get them on PBS on Wed..suffered through 4 shows with the daughter..just not the same!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast