Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to Liz Porter?

I had the same question. Its not the same, still a good program but without Liz its not quite the same. I had not noticed that about Bernina & Babylock. thats an interesting change. Time will tell I guess.

I had heard that Liz had retired, but no whys. I trust all is well, and the new transition will get the kinks worked out. Hopefully there will be a bit more pizazz (or?) with Mary in due time. :)

Quote Originally Posted by All Thumbs
    I saw that with this weekend broadcast too. Like you guys, I am wondering and really hate to see this show change. The daughter is just fine but the show has always been one of a more detailed program and she does not bring that to the cutting table. Everyone always welcomes beginning quilters but I hope this is just an extended vacation or something for Liz and this program change is limited to a few weeks.
    I've noticed her missing as well. Although it's great for Marianne and her daughter, Mary to do this, it just isn't the same level of information. I hope they didn't have a falling out or something after all these years of being together. I miss her and inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by one&only
    It also states in the new magazine that the mom and daughter team really enjoyed learning the techniques on their new sponsor (Baby Lock) for the 1600 tv series. I agree that the daughter does not bring the appeal to the show that Liz did.
    Wondering if Mary (daughter) is for the purpose of luring the younger generations into quilting.
    I suppose this could be the case. I did notice that on the last show, they were teaching the techniques of a quilt designed by Liz.

Liz Porter retired to spend more time with the Grandbabies according to the HGTV blog.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I'm happy there is a show, daughter or next door neighbor doing it is fine with me! Eleanor Burns is retiring too so no new shows from her. With the young daughter learning the ropes, we have a chance of at least one show being around for much longer
    Is Eleanor retiring from TV or totally retiring.? I was at her show in Paducah this year & there was no hint of retirement, just an announcement about another grandchild on the way. You know she also was sponsored by Baby Lock.

WOW! I really enjoy the Fons & Porter show. I caught the episode with the daughter too. I didn't care for it too much either, but like everyone said....gotta give them a chance!

I also noticed the switch to a different sponsor. They were using my machine on the last episode and now they switched to Baby lock and I was like "Hey...." I'm kind of bummed they're not using my machine anymore as I enjoyed watching them use it. It seemed like she was having some problems using the Babylock machine on this recent episode. She's probably used to Bernina after all this time!

Can you watch old episodes of their show online somewhere?

Blog Entries
    The change of brands is who will pick up the tab for the show and pay the bigger endorsement fee. It's all business not brand loyalty. Sewing with Nancy use to be nothing but Pfaff, then over night it was BabyLoc. I don't care what brand any show host uses as long as it keeps the show being produced.

On a recent show, Marianne said Liz retired from the show and wants to spend more time with her family.

Liz Porter retired and moved to Texas. Mariane Fons daughter is on the newer shows with her mom.

You can watch older episodes of the show on fonsandporter.com. You have to join as a member of Quilters Club of America for $39.95 a year or just their website for $24.99 a year. The QCA membership is a better deal, I think because you get access to the QCA website where you can watch lots of quilting shows such as Quilt in a Day, Sewing With Nancy, Kaye Wood, etc. and also you get a subscription to Easy Quilts and a 10% discount card for Joann's. There are other perks too, but those are the most useful for me. You can sign up at fonsandporter.com, or at QuiltersClubofAmerica.com.

I heard that Eleanor Burns might retire also, that will be good for her but a sad loss for all who are her fans. She has been a staple to quilting for so long. Awsome for beginners & advanced alike. but the nothing ever stays the same does it? I will miss Liz Porter a great deal.

There was obvious tension between the two of them last season and several shows were done solo. I don't think Liz left in "retirement" or to spend more time with her grandchildren. If that were the case, she would have made the announcement and there would have been a show dedicated to her send off. They have been doing this too long for the abrupt off the cuff remark made by Marianne Fons by way of introducing her daughter.
    Of course we all welcome new quilters. However, I am not interested in watching a show hosted by one. I want to watch experts and learn from them.
    I am very upset that Eleanor Burns and Liz Porter are not going to be helping me along with my quilting. To tell you the truth, Marianne Fons never did.

Fons and Porter shows on directv channel 374 BYU at 5:30 pm
    monday through friday.
    Eleanor Burns on directv RFD 345 11:30 pm wednesday nights.

I was told by a woman from Winterset(that is where Liz and Mary Ann have their shop)that they had sold out to Keepsake Quilting and that Liz was moving to Texas. She had asked Liz if it bothered her to leave the show. She said if it bothers me I just look at my bank account from the sale and then I am okay with it. This woman said she knew them both very well. I don't know if this is true or not.

Both of them have been at this for many, many years. I would not be surprised if a retirement was happening. It was the way it happened that is bothersome. I just cannot believe that Liz Porter would have walked away for money or grandchildren or anything else without saying goodbye to her fans if things had been going well. They obviously were not.
    I'm happy that she is happy...if that is the case.

With all this chatter about Liz Porter now you have my curiosity peaked. I was all content thinking she was happy down in Texas. Now I don't know what to believe. It does sound fiesable now that she left under unfavorable circumstances. I enjoyed watching their program and am not too thrilled with the new format, but I'm going to give it a chance. I hope we find out what really happened soon. Curiosity is getting the best of me.

I believe Liz is too much of a lady to engage in a public display. I don't think we'll ever see that and I don't personally want to. I do want to see better quality quilting shows. Liz was a wonderful teacher and I will miss her.
    Whatever happend to Simply Quilts. I just loved that show. It was always interesting and very different from the other shows (some of which are a bit plodding for me).

I also miss Simply Quilts!! Anyone know where it went?

I saw one of the earlier programs this fall. They just said that she wanted to spend more time with grandkids.
    Implied she was only getting out of the TV part of the business.

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    Their TV show used to be on at 9:00 am here and then it was suddenly moved to 2:30 pm. The 9 o'clock show was on at a good time for me but I hardly ever see it now. The few shows I was able to catch at the new time were repeats.

I don't mind the daughter - maybe they are trying to attract a younger audience - a new generation of quilters.

Simply Quilts went off the air a couple of years ago. You can find Alex Anderson hosting a new show these days online. Check it out: TheQuiltShow.com

Yes...sheis taking some time off to spend with her grandchildren. From what they said she will return.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast