Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What have you added to your sewing room to make your body happier? >

What have you added to your sewing room to make your body happier?

What have you added to your sewing room to make your body happier?

Old 11-16-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by JOMARIE View Post
It is called a GRACE SPEED CONTROL. Universal Foot Pedal Replacement. I just unplug my pedal and replace it with this. My speed is much steadier now, and the pain of reaching for the foot peddle has stopped. My machine is a Bernina but this is compatible with most machines. I got it at my Bernina Dealer for $57.99. I can set the speed and set it on pulse or run it has a button finger control. If you need more info let me know I will PM you.
Thanks just checked it out. Thought maybe it was something I could use on my regular machine. Bummer
Old 11-16-2011, 08:04 PM

What helps with neck and back pain (a little anyway), is to put the rubber door stopper under the back edge of your sewing machine. It changes the angle you look at the needle area; also it enables me to sit back and more comfortable in my chair.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
I keep my ironing board away from my sewing machine and keep my serger further away so I can't just sit and swing from one to the other or I would be sitting in that chair till I hurt so bad!
This helps me as well. Since I don't have a specified sewing room, but a few corners throughout the apartment, my ironing board was naturally far away from my sewing machine. On a rare day of constant sewing, I got the idea to put the ironing board right next to the machine. The next day, I had such back pains from from not moving around. So now, the ironing board stays in the guest bedroom, and I gladly walk the 15 steps between machine and ironing board. Of course, it takes longer, but I don't have to take as many official breaks.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I bought the mesh back support that goes on your regular chair back. I find that the added curve in the back forces me to sit straighter and not slouch. I also bought the magnifying glass set for my Bernina for FMQ so I don't bend forward to see where I'm sewing. I would love to upgrade to the ergonomic cutter that fits into a rail on the rulers but I can't justify the price or the waste. I would have to buy the new rulers and I have a fairly large collection of regular rulers already.
I'm just like you! I got one of the mesh back supports for my sewing chair and my computer chair. I have used the magifiers for my Bernina, but I can't seem to coordinate my eyes to adjust to the change in magnification.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:50 PM

I have a Pilates machine that I keep under the Tin Lizzie frame and using it really helps keeps muscles from being stiff. I keep it there since I spend more time in there than anywhere in the house.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 PM

What is this TENS unit?
Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 AM

Ok, I googled it. I NEED one, I haven't been able to sew or quilt much because I have had so much neck and shoulder pain. I just got a referral for xray and physical therapy but was bummed to find out that my insurance probably won;t pay for the physical therapy. Are there different brands and if there are which one would you recommend?
Old 11-17-2011, 05:00 AM

I bought a very comfy adjustable, swivel, rolling office chair, with padded arms, and a massage unit built into the back that has adjustable speeds and pressure. Also one of those wedge pillows for the back thta I have in the seat of the chair. I had a highbacked one, but it just didn't work out well for me. The only thing that would make my sewingroom any better would be more space, and fridge and a microwave. I already have a full bathroom here. But then if I had the appliances, I'd probably never leave here! hahaha
Old 11-17-2011, 05:26 AM

Raising the height of the futon with furniture risers was my aide. I sit there to read, rip and relax. The added height gives my legs and knees a better sitting angle, and eases the getting up and sitting difficulties.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:27 AM

I wish I could say a mid-arm or LA, but no such luck. That is the only thing that could help me.