Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What have you added to your sewing room to make your body happier? >

What have you added to your sewing room to make your body happier?

What have you added to your sewing room to make your body happier?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by JOMARIE View Post
I have added an ergonomic cutter. Replaced the foot pedal with a hand unit. A slotted ruler for cutting, and a TENS unit for my back.
I would love to know more about the hand unit
Old 11-16-2011, 05:49 PM

A magnifying glass so I can "read" the needles!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:50 PM

Music and a cushion for my chair
Old 11-16-2011, 06:14 PM

I have an obusform gel pad that I take every where it helps take the pressure off the base of the tailbone and evenly distributes your weight so your not putting all the weight on one side or the other. I also have a lower spine brace that I wear it helps me keep my posture correct and it has a lumbar support in it. I may look at getting a TENS as well I've had the treatment enough at the Chiro to operate the machine myself. Next purchase will be a better chair and I need to get hubby to raise my cutting table a little higher too.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:18 PM

My DH cut my sewing table legs off so it is the proper height for me. I also put a foot rest under the table as I have short legs. I have to get up to iron which is good for me.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:57 PM

Gosh, I wish I could say a masseuse!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:16 PM

My chiropractor said not to sew more than about a half hour then get up and do something else, then sew, etc. So I sew, then cut, then press, then whatever, then sew. It is hard to do because I was used to sewing long hours at a time. So I try and keep to what he said to do and it does help. So I keep my ironing board away from my sewing machine and keep my serger further away so I can't just sit and swing from one to the other or I would be sitting in that chair till I hurt so bad!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post
I would love to know more about the hand unit
It is called a GRACE SPEED CONTROL. Universal Foot Pedal Replacement. I just unplug my pedal and replace it with this. My speed is much steadier now, and the pain of reaching for the foot peddle has stopped. My machine is a Bernina but this is compatible with most machines. I got it at my Bernina Dealer for $57.99. I can set the speed and set it on pulse or run it has a button finger control. If you need more info let me know I will PM you.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=AliKat;4686013]I just moved my 'studio' again. Had my LA table made bigger and an upgrade. So other than the table and upgrade nothing is new.

That looks like a really cool seat! A bit pricey for my budget, but then with my back, it just might be something to save up for. Thanks!
Then I have my Swopper ... that is a sorta balance ball seat that isn't inflatable but is adjustable. Look it up on the net. It almost forces me to use good posture. It cut down on the TENS use for me, so it was a good investment. Yes, it cost a bit and has been worth every dollar/penny I spent on it.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:46 PM

Default TENS Unit and Pads

Originally Posted by auniqueview View Post
I have a tens unit from a previous fall, but now that I am on Medicare, will they pay for the pads?
No, Medicare doesn't pay for either the TENS unit or the pads. I had to pay my doctor cash for them as he said they aren't covered. Here is a link to the best deal I have found on the internet for the pads...
http://www.ib3health.com/products/Te...dCMSeries.asps
I haven't ordered from them yet but I will need to in a couple of weeks so I'm going to give them a try. This link is for 1.5x1.5 pads but they have every size under the sun!

I haven't added anything to my sewing room but I desperately need a new rolling chair. Loved this one I have from Walmart but since the cushions became smashed down is horribly uncomfortable! I'll probably get an identical one the next time I buy. I would also benefit from a higher cutting table. The one I have will not work with the bed risers because of the way the wooden feet are cut. Sigh.