Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What have you changed since using Quilting Board? >

What have you changed since using Quilting Board?

What have you changed since using Quilting Board?

Old 09-24-2011, 11:35 AM

Wow, the answer to that question could fill a book. Seems that everyday I pick up a new tip or idea. I think that the biggest change has been organization. I can now find almost anything in just a few minutes rather than 1/2 to 1 hour of searching. I can't thank all the generous members enough for sharing their tips and ideas.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:03 PM

went to a yard sale today and saw a beautiful singer treadle cabnet. the machine inside had really been beat around tho. but the cabint was beautiful solid wood. they had $500 on it. sorry. i learned to be tighter with my money, so i can spend more on fabic....LOL
Old 09-24-2011, 12:17 PM

If you could see my "Favorites", is where I keep everything I have learned and then some.
I go to the newsletter when I feel the need to get away from the other chores. The pictures and tutorials are great even though I don't make a comment every time. Everyone works so hard on their projects and serves as an inspiration to do more.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:06 PM

Hi Scrappy Linda, That's for your kind message. It helps make your spirit feel up at least. Sue
Old 09-25-2011, 04:46 PM

Wow...11 pages and counting...This place is better than an encyclopedia of quilting information. I, too have learned so much! I was a lurker, too, for about 6 months before I joined, and you learn so much more and have more available to you as a member. Thanks, QB...a standing ovation for everyone here!! xo
Old 09-25-2011, 05:15 PM

much too many to list
I am not the same quilter I was one I started this board
Thanks to all of you
Old 09-25-2011, 07:48 PM

Since I started on this board I seem to quilt less and spend more time on here...snicker!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:00 AM

everything!!!!!!!!!i've only been quilting for around4 yrs.,but i was buying fabric since 2003!! i would buy the walmart quilt of the month fabric( and some extra) every month. i was a hoarder!!!!! then i decided to quilt!!i did not even know how to begin.a friend from work cut the first quilt for me and went home and put it together and i was hooked!! but from here i learned when u hand quilt u do not have to use double thread!!i can load 4 stisches on my needle.this is the best group of people i have ever known.you all help me so much and you're just like family!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jillaine
As I was quilting the other day, I realized that I've learned so much on this board, and I've changed or improved how I do things. I'm curious to know what others have changed. Here's what I have, based on posts here on QB:

1. Double-layer binding for a stronger edge. I particularly liked this tutorial which also introduced me to an easy approach to mitred corners:
Sharon Schambers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc

2. Using starch to reshape pieces. (I never used starch before!) In particular, Sharon Schamber's great set of tutorials here really helped me turn a monster of a problem quilt into something at least acceptable when I ran into problems. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQkF02vpVuw

3. Hand-basting of quilts (including the starching of backing). This has totally changed the quality of my finished quilts, reducing puckers. (I used to do minimal basting on the floor.) Using Sharon's boards method has made basting quick, enjoyable and I know that I'll end up with a better product.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

4. Free Motion Quilting. I didn't even know about this before, much less that I could do this on a plain ol' sewing machine. I particularly enjoyed Leah Day's "Free Motion Quilting Project" at http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...tart-here.html
She has great tutorials for a slew of different FMQ patterns, but it is her energy and straightforwardness and simplicity that drew me in, and made it seem like even I could try it.

I still have a lot more to learn, but these four have really changed how I do things. What about you? What have you changed or strengthened as a result of using this board?

-- Jillaine
ALL EXCEPT 4], plus the help of you all on message board when I got into a mess.. wonderful!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM

I think as much as anything I've learned not to be so hard on myself and the board has inspired me to get organized and has renewed my will to sew and look forward to things I had lost interest in for so long. Thanks you guys.