Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What I discovered about Juki and Brother

What I discovered about Juki and Brother

My Brother 1500 machine locked up for the third time. It's decade old and has been a workhorse so I new it was time to let it go and not invest another repair cost in it. I was with my sewing group at a Brother dealer and found a trade in Juki TL 98 Q for $200. Serviced and guaranteed. I bought it. I was thinking about all the special feet I had for the Brother. The dealer said the feet wouldn't fit the Juki and showed me the 1/4 piecing foot for $49.99. I tried the Brother feet anyway after I got home and everyone fits the Juki perfectly.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I knew they looked alike. That's nice to know. Thanks for sharing.

I found that the feet of my Janome will fit on my Europro and some fit on my F/W. It never hurts to try it carefully and see if they work. Beats buying something you need when you already have it.

I had feet from an old Brother runway and they look quite similar but when I switched them out, the thread kept breaking. When I switched the foot back the thread did not break. So something wasn't right. Yes, I put a new needle in to see if that was causing the problem. I like the Brother foot better than the Juki foot. Oh, well sometimes you get a win and sometimes you don't. It was worth the try.

That's a great deal you got! I have a Juki that looks just like a Brother (not sure of the model).
    I love my Juki and hope you enjoy yours too

My Babylock Jane feet work on my Juki TL98QE. I haven't tried the walking foot so I don't know about that. Replacement feet for the Juki were $100.00 per foot. That was several years ago.

Good deal you got.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I'm pretty sure the 1500 is a juki manufactured machine. There are a lot of different models under different brands that are the same machine
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

What is so funny, I went with four of my quilting group to the shop. They wanted to see what kind of sale the DreamMachine would be. While they were discussing the machine price with the dealer I saw the Juki, paid for it, and walked back to the group. I sit and watched the demo of the machine and watched three of the group each write a check for over $9000. They left excited but I left happy.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    My Brother 1500 machine locked up for the third time. It's decade old and has been a workhorse .
    Oh no!!! I have a Brother 1500 and adore it; it's my favorite machine! What was wrong with it, why did it keep locking up?

I know the Baby Lock Jane and the Brother 1500 are the same machine. My dealer sells Brother and Juki and told me while they look alike, they are different “under the hood” but they are high shank so the feet all fit each other. I use a Juki open toe FMQ foot on my Brother 1500
    Alyce

CR
    Good Morning Ladies, I have a question. Does anyone know where I can get a book on how to work on an Old Kenmore? I have had mine for about 50 years and my son had it cleaned and checked at the LQS. I was working on a raggy quilt for my grandson and it locked up. He wanted to take it back and see if it could be fixed but he had just put $190 dollars in it and it was supposed to be cleaned, checked and the belts replaced. I told him no that it would just be throwing good money after bad so he bought me a new Brother CSi600 for my birthday and I love it but it is way lighter than the Kenmore and my Kenmore was in a cabinet and this is a portable so if your working on anything very heavy it walks. This year he bought me a sewing table for the Brother but I still would like to get a book telling me how to work on the Kenmore. It may be beyond hope but I would still like to try before pitching it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I checked on line but all I got was names of repair shops. I would like to get a book that tells me how to work on it and what to check for. The motor runs but it won't move.

Thanks again and have a Blessed Day.

CR - I'd say at 50years old, your Kenmore certainly qualifies as vintage! Perhaps someone in the Vintage and Antique Machine section of this board can help. If you know the model of Kenmore you have and also if you post a picture, I think they can give you advice. Good luck!

CR - Since you were working on a raggy quilt did you clean the bobbin area and the feed dogs? Doesn't take long to get a build up of lint especially if using flannel.
    Last edited by luci4; 04-27-2019 at 06:20 AM.

All my short shank feet are interchangeable with my Singers, Brother, Babylock and Bernina 1260. Yes, Bernina makes a short adapter shank so you can use feet from other machines. What a price saver that has been! Granted the Bernina feet don't fit the other machines, however I had the other ones first, so had lots of feet to share : )

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Oh no!!! I have a Brother 1500 and adore it; it's my favorite machine! What was wrong with it, why did it keep locking up?
    The thread cutter keeps getting the hook assembly out of whack the best I understand from the repair guy. The cutter will lock up and then the whole machine will freeze. I got the machine when it first came out, maybe early 90's? It started locking up about two years ago. I have the service manual so may take out the thread cutter altogether.