Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I Learned About Spray Basting >

What I Learned About Spray Basting

What I Learned About Spray Basting

Old 02-24-2012, 08:14 AM

Missouri Star Quilt Company has a fantastic video on You Tube for anyone who is unsure as to how to do spray basting.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 AM
LMB

I am kinda new to this quilting thing and still trying to learn the in's and out's... but... I spray basted a baby quilt in the shower yesterday and it worked great. I hung a line from end to end across the back of the shower and used clothes pins to hang the quilt When I was done I just sprayed a little shower cleaner in the tub and surround walls and rinsed her down. When I was done I had a quilt sandwitched and a clean shower. Oh, I had the overhead fan on and when I was done you couldnt smell anything.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 AM

Hi Ellie.....I spray baste all the time and in fact, did it yesterday..... I spread an old sheet (designated for this)on my table making sure to cover all the side items....like the ironing board . Then I fold back half the quilt from the batting and spray the quilt....lightly.....of course, I've done this with the batting and backing first. I only use 505 by Sulky. It is easily repositionable and I don't find the fumes objectionable. Hope this helps. I do, at times, pin the corners, but not often. I LOVE spray basting......the only way to go and on a table is the only way for me, too......old knees don't do floors anymore...LOL!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:18 AM

I also use my design wall. I put an old king flannel sheet up to catch the overspray. So much easier to smooth the fabric while upright, and much easier on your back.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:24 AM

This is an excellent video about how to baste a quilt on the wall. It is a beginners fmq video, but towards the end she shows how she prepares the quilt. It works very well, that is the only way I do it now. http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/lesso...eacher/patsern
Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 AM

I spray baste a lot and here is how I control the overspray. I cut the top and bottom out of a half gallon and a gallon jug, like the ones you get milk or jucies. Clean them really good and let dry. I leave the handle on if I can then I put the fabric on my cutting table an put the jug (what ever size you need) down on the fabric and spray through the opening The jug catches the over spray and when the jugs get yucky, just throw away and cut another one. Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:54 AM

I sprayed it on the carpet one time and never did get it out. At first when the carpet started getting really dirty I couldn't figure out what it was. Tried everything nothing ever worked.
Still love the product and use it but now I put down an old comforter first.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 AM

I usually spray baste on the floor, being sure to cover floor around the quilt with newspaper. I do this out onto the floor with
a full width of the newspaper. You CAN"T spread it out too far, more is better. I have also discovered that you do not need to use a lot of spray. Keep the can moving from side to side quickly.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 AM

What I learned about spray basting is that my vintage machines don't like it. I was getting skipped stitches from the needle getting all gummed up with the spray glue. I no longer use the spray baste.
If you notice skipped stitching consider that may be from the spray basting.
Just my two cents.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:13 AM

I put two 4'x8'x1/2" sheets of laminated fiberboard that I purchased at Menards on top of our no longer used ping pong table in the basement to use for spray basting. Cleans up with soap & water easily, although pointing the spray toward the center prevents a lot of overspray. Tape the backing to the laminate with blue painters tape, then spread out the batting and fabric from the center. Right after I spray I leave the basement, and it doesn't circulate to upstairs.