Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I Learned About Spray Basting >

What I Learned About Spray Basting

What I Learned About Spray Basting

Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM

Now that I've discovered Sharon Schamber's "Basting With Boards" (thanks for the members of this group!), I am doing less spray basting and pinning. I tried the "boards" because I was skeptical and had also never done any basting with "thead" but I'm now a convert to that method. The basting spray is also getting awfully pricey (even with JoAnn coupons) so I use it for smaller items only.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:34 AM

I make a lot of donation quilts & don't always send them to a longarmer. Recently, I cut 5-6" strips of Steam A Seam. I layered the backing, batting, Steam A Seam strips about 4-6" apart in rows, & then the top & ironed from the center out. Worked very well on a crib size quilt. That was the first time I had tried this but will definitely use it again on the next quilt. IMHO, probabaly smaller quilts woud be better adapted to this method.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 PM

Default Spray basting

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Just curious on how you handle the overspray on the table? I tried spray basting once on my kitchen floor, thought I had spread enough newspapers around, didn't, and had a time getting it up. I'm willing to try again though.
To avoid overspray I took a gallon milk bottle and cut off the entire bottom. I spray through the top while moving the bottle around the quilt. It is a little awkward in the beginning but once you get the hang if it it works really well.

Sylvia
Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 PM

I am thinking of buying the batting that has already been spray basted. Saw it at JoAnn's but did not take the time to read their instructions. I was not happy with the can of spray basting I used it really stuck and gave me problems when I tried to quilt on it. Residue stuck to my needle. Thinking maybe I used too much, so next time I will try it on something smaller than a quilt as a test. Works good on pot holders.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:28 PM

I use Mr Clean magic erasers to get overspray off my cutting table.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:57 PM

Thanks for all the hints and tips...very informative thread.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:59 PM

I use 6 or higher mil plastic. I spread it on my island or when the weather is warm on the hot tub! I don't worry about over spray as I focus the spary where I want it. I never worry about the plastic. I reuse it as well. Luann
Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 AM

I like to spray baste using Sharon Schambers method for rolling the quilt, you can be done in less than 30 minutes basting a full size quilt.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dianna77984 View Post
I spray baste a lot and here is how I control the overspray. I cut the top and bottom out of a half gallon and a gallon jug, like the ones you get milk or jucies. Clean them really good and let dry. I leave the handle on if I can then I put the fabric on my cutting table an put the jug (what ever size you need) down on the fabric and spray through the opening The jug catches the over spray and when the jugs get yucky, just throw away and cut another one. Hope this helps.
This is really inventive!
Old 02-25-2012, 04:00 PM

I use only 505. I tried Sullivans, but thought that the smell was worse and it was too sticky. 505 is more expensive, but I like it much better.

Originally Posted by hoppa View Post
havent tried it yet and wonder which brand you all use