Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I learned today..suggestions please..saga of making a block..machine rebellion..new techniques >

What I learned today..suggestions please..saga of making a block..machine rebellion..new techniques

What I learned today..suggestions please..saga of making a block..machine rebellion..new techniques

Old 09-24-2009, 07:21 AM

I can see nothing wrong with this block. You did a very nice job of covering your mistake and embellishing it. Great job...
Old 09-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

amma -

The block looks great (beautiful)
I love the colors you chose

Occasionally my machine has sewed "bonkers" too - and I look at the stitches and debate with myself - "will it hold - will it not hold"
I know you would not have been satisfied with the block if you had left it "as is."

Thanks for sharing the reminder to clean out the areas on occasion and about the other "comparatively easy fixes" - the only two that you didn't mention were about the top tension (wandered off on my Singer 237) and the bobbin tension.

Will you also post a picture of the back of it? How did you deal with all those seams that come together in the center of it?
The top stitching/embellishment makes the blocks look very elegant.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:44 AM

I love the block it looks beautiful.I think maybe I am in the wrong site you guys are way out of my league,if my points looked that great I would be one happy quilter,I can count on one or two marching to their own tune,try as I might,something throws me off.I use the rotary cutter,I took a permanent marker and marked 1/4 inch seam on my machine to get consistant seams, any ways I love looking at the beautiful blocks,keep sending pictures.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

So the question is if the thread will make the block shrink if you use cotton on one side and a blend on the other, right?

It's not like you are going to wash a size 10 cotton T that is made in Sri-Lanka on the hot cycle in your machine and it comes out just large enought to fit a Barbie. I think the shrinkage factor on thread is so minute that it wouldn't even be a blip on the quilt police. Besides, there will be quilting stitches to secure the whole top. Me thinks you worry too much.

Beautifully resolved btw!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I remember that buying "mercerized" cotton thread was a big deal - it was my understanding that mercerized thread didn't shrink - or at least not much

Does all cotton thread shrink? That thought had never occurred to me.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:35 AM

great save!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:17 AM

I like it ...I'd like the pp pattern too...! good job
Old 09-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
So the question is if the thread will make the block shrink if you use cotton on one side and a blend on the other, right?

It's not like you are going to wash a size 10 cotton T that is made in Sri-Lanka on the hot cycle in your machine and it comes out just large enought to fit a Barbie. I think the shrinkage factor on thread is so minute that it wouldn't even be a blip on the quilt police. Besides, there will be quilting stitches to secure the whole top. Me thinks you worry too much.

Beautifully resolved btw!
LOL! Mad...who wears a 10? (my youngest DD wears a 6! :roll:...poor thing is so small she can't lift a fork very often :lol: )

Amma...girlfriend, listen,...if all my "mistakes", as you referred to this block in the beginning,...looked as good as this, I would be one happy camper! WOO HOO...and...WHEET WHOO!
(that's how a cute five year old, makes the whistle sound for her puppies, until she can actually whistle :wink: )
Old 09-24-2009, 03:19 PM

I love the block can you tell me the name of it? I have this thing for star block just think they are the neatest,
Old 09-24-2009, 05:46 PM

It is simply beautiful. What was the name and source of your pattern. I love paper-piecing, because I can do it and my quilts look so intricate, when it was really simple.