Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is what I  may pick up, would you??? >

This is what I may pick up, would you???

This is what I may pick up, would you???

Old 09-13-2011, 09:24 AM

I called Singer and gave them the serial number and they said she was built in 1900
Old 09-13-2011, 09:31 AM

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I'll be sure to check out Billy and try to get her as clean as I can. I'll need to name her now because she is special.

I think I'll buy her for $35.oo, better than dinner with my DH, a new purse or a pedicure.

But I will continue to look for a featherweight...why....because I'm worth it. lol
Old 09-13-2011, 11:58 AM

Glad you decided to buy her as she's just beautiful even with the grime. I would haver told you to buy her too but I'm a sewing machine geek/nerd and have about 27 machines myself and all but 1 is a vintage lady. Cleaning them is difficult and messy but so worth it. Billy, aka Lostn51, may not be available but so many others are on the vintage machine site/thread that you'll find help there.
FYI: You'll now have to resist rescuing/collecting vintage machines because you'll see them everywhere. They tend to find you.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Joselake
She's asking $35 for her and then the cost to fix her. I suspect it will cost me about $100 when all is said and done.
go for it. that machine will be worth that and you'll love her. vintage machines are truley workhorses.:) :thumbup:
Old 09-13-2011, 01:21 PM

gosh the light works......if nothing else you can use it for a night light till you get it sewing again.....have a friend of a friend that uses a treadle machine as an end table and TV light.......makes me grind my teeth
Old 09-13-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Parts are cheap and easy to find for the 27. :)

$35 is a little high for decals in this poor a condition, but the nickle plating appears to be good and I've never seen that face plate before, so I would buy it. :)

You will need to replace all the electrical components - like you said, that will bring your cost up to about $100-120.

The only drawback to the 27/28/127/128 models is that they have a shuttle and long bobbin and if you don't use a bobbin of exactly the right length on the bobbin winder, you will end up with a dog-bone effect.

You can use modern repro bobbins, but they are a tick too short so you will have to guide the thread onto the bobbins with your fingers. No big deal, but it is a bit of a pain in the neck.

It takes ordinary 15x1 needles and standard low shank feet and accessories.

Some people are crazy about these machines for FMQ. :)
You seem really smart and knowledgable about machines, especially being from Mars.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Joselake
Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I'll be sure to check out Billy and try to get her as clean as I can. I'll need to name her now because she is special.

I think I'll buy her for $35.oo, better than dinner with my DH, a new purse or a pedicure.

But I will continue to look for a featherweight...why....because I'm worth it. lol
WTG!

Forget my post if your hubby questions you!
Old 09-13-2011, 04:28 PM

What's surprising is how many old machines are on auction sites and the low prices for so many of them.

WWW.SHOPGOODWILL.COM has bunches that go for next to nothing. The shipping is often costly, but even then you can pick up sewing machines all day for less than $50. Do they work? Who knows?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:33 PM

I would buy it just for the beauty of it.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 PM

If you buy the machine go to the vintage singer site on Yahoo and join it. There are alot of people that can help you with cleaning and repairing the machine, if you want to go that route. There are also people on the site that sell parts for the different machines.