Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What was I (Not) Thinking!!!

What was I (Not) Thinking!!!

Hi, Quilters,

I have two lots of batting and the two original bags that they came in. My only problem is that neither one was in a bag; both of them were sitting loose in my cupboard. Now I can't tell them apart. One is Quilter's Dream Wool, king size and the other is Hobbs Poly-Down, also king size. Does anyone know of a way of identifying which is which? Perhaps there is a burn test or something. I really want to use the wool batting in the quilt I am making but I need to know which it is. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

This is just a guess—- I am thinking wool would burn (like cotton) and the poly would melt. Hopefully you will get some good tips from others. Good luck.
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

Blog Entries
    Exactly what Jeanne said. Clip a tiny bit from a corner, use tongs or long tweezers, work over the sink. the poly will melt pretty quick.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    I think a burn test might help - poly usually frequently burns with black smoke and leave a hard or crispy ash/residue.

The residue also stays hot longer than ash from cotton or wool.

When I do a burn test, I light a candle, then cut a very small sample (about 1/8 x 1 inch) of the fabric, hold it with a tweezers, and light it on fire (have a fire/heat resistant ash tray handy - I also have a glass of water on standby).

If it contains a man-made fiber such as nylon, dacron, or polyester, it usually burns with black smoke and leaves the hard/crispy residue.

I can't tell rayon from cotton - there probably is a test for that, but I don't know what it is.

Wool usually smells like burnt feathers.

I recommend doing these tests outside. I've stunk up the house when I did them inside.

I think I have my answer, thanks to you ladies. I did the burn test and my first sample just sort of disappeared but when I tried my second sample, it actually burned with a flame so I am assuming the second sample is the wool. Thank you so much for your help. This truly is a wonderful forum made up of wonderful quilters.

Power Poster

Ok, thats a little confusing. Wool will leave an ash that will disappear when you rub it between your fingers and smell like burning hair or feathers when you are burning it. The other one probably dripped a blob of searing hot liquid lava on you. I've done tons of burn tests on yarn, and those darned acrylics and polys are always trying to maim me.

Oh yeah. Once you get it figured out, write the name on a piece of paper and stuff it into the center hole. In case the impossible happens, and you get them mixed up again, lol.

Suggest that you cut a small piece of each type of batting. Press each one with a hot iron. The poly will start to melt. To protect your iron, put a piece of aluminum foil between the ironing plate and the batting.

Or, if you are close enough to a store that sells the battings you bought, take a sample of one of them to the store and compare it to what is in the store.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I think Jeanne is right-the poly would melt and then process of elimination then the wool would be the other batting. Good luck. I have done the same thing and I was quite frustrated with myself but I put an iron to one and it melted just with me putting the iron on it for a short time. Assuming that was the poly one.

I just did the iron test and while the one I think is wool just flattened, the other became quite stiff but it didn't melt. When I did burn the poly, I didn't get any dripping blobs but there didn't seem to be any residue. I am quite sure now which is which but I might take a sample of each to my favourite local quilt store and ask them if they can tell. I will never "unlabel" batting again.

Just a thought, if it is that difficult to tell the difference by the hand of it, would it make that much difference in the quilt itself. I know you "want" to use the wool, and I know it would be the "better" batting, but maybe just use either one and move to the next quilt to use the other!

I learned something new today. I will use this on my stash of leftover batting to sort. Thanks everyone!
    Kindness matters

Jackie

No need for a burn test. Hobbs poly down is white. Quilters Dream wool is a cream color.

Thanks, feline fanatic. You have further confirmed what I thought. I think I now know which is which. On to sandwiching. Many thanks to all.

Power Poster
    That ended up "being easy"!

I learned my lesson to label everything when I had some interfacings and stabilizers all mixed up. I use a scrap of fabric and write the product line and name of product and use a safety pin to attach it. Now whenever I need to use the batting, stabilizer, etc., I unpin it and immediately re-pin it after I cut it. Took a while to train myself but worth it.

I always staple a piece of the batting washing instructions and identifying info on one edge of the roll since I ALWAYS forget!

Take a Small night of each. Natural fibers will melt in your mouth, poly will feel wirey. Works with all fabric just need a tiny bit.

Burning wool smells like burnt hair (ever caught a strand of hair in your blow dryer?); and yes, the poly will melt, but also has a chemical odor.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!